question for you package car drivers

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Company policy is not to driver release at apartments. Now, having said that, do drivers leave pkgs at apt doors? Absolutely. I do but I know the neighborhoods and know when I can and when I can't do this. Is this following policy? Absolutely not and there have been times when it has come back to bite me in the butt.

Why would you do this?
I don't. I won't. Why would I? What's in it for me?
This practice of defying company policy is arrogant an stupid.
When your required to pay for a couple of packages you'll get your head out of your ashtabula.

For a very selfish reason--I hate send agains. Have I had to pay for pkgs? Yes; in fact, one of the basketball players for SUNY Plattsburgh wore sneakers last season that I paid for.

Perhaps the next time I am at an apt complex, wondering whether to DR or not, I should ask myself, WWBD?

As for arrogant and stupid, I think you will find both of these qualities on full display the next time you step in front of a mirror.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
For a very selfish reason--I hate send agains. Have I had to pay for pkgs? Yes; in fact, one of the basketball players for SUNY Plattsburgh wore sneakers last season that I paid for.

Perhaps the next time I am at an apt complex, wondering whether to DR or not, I should ask myself, WWBD?

As for arrogant and stupid, I think you will find both of these qualities on full display the next time you step in front of a mirror.

You just proved my point.
Anybody can make a mistake.
It's an idiot (stupid, arrogant) that makes the same mistake over and over.
But by all means continue your illegal DR program and continue to pay for pkgs.
It's not selfish, it's foolish.
Why do you care if a package is a send again?
We didn't create the criteria that determines a send again.
Everyday my truck is full of packages.
Doesn't matter if it's the same one from yesterday.
If I have enough send agains I just might not need that extra split.

InTheRed

Everyday my truck is full of packages.
Doesn't matter if it's the same one from yesterday.

If the company delivers the package again at no charge does that mean that all time incurred for that delivery stop (fuel, wear and tear of vehicle, depreciation of vehicle, and payroll wages) should be reimbursed by you?

I'm not saying you should never have a send-again, but make a good decision out there. Most all of us have DR'd to apartments, because we didn't want the send-again or we TRIED to do the right thing for the customer. You are the one on the street when you're out there, so make a good decision out there.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
If the company delivers the package again at no charge does that mean that all time incurred for that delivery stop (fuel, wear and tear of vehicle, depreciation of vehicle, and payroll wages) should be reimbursed by you?

I'm not saying you should never have a send-again, but make a good decision out there. Most all of us have DR'd to apartments, because we didn't want the send-again or we TRIED to do the right thing for the customer. You are the one on the street when you're out there, so make a good decision out there.

The reimbursement I was speaking of was for an improper DR.
My point was that the company creates the rules and criteria for DR's.
To make my own interpretations outside these guidelines just puts me at risk.
To your point on cost, I'm going to assume that the cost of redelivery is outweighed by cost of paying a claim. Once again this determination was made by management.
It's not my place to take liberties. Doing so serves me no purpose.
I hear driver often say how they hate send agains.
I can't understand why.
It just doesn't matter
If it isn't that package tomorrow, it'll be another.

InTheRed

The reimbursement I was speaking of was for an improper DR.
My point was that the company creates the rules and criteria for DR's.
To make my own interpretations outside these guidelines just puts me at risk.
To your point on cost, I'm going to assume that the cost of redelivery is outweighed by cost of paying a claim. Once again this determination was made by management.
It's not my place to take liberties. Doing so serves me no purpose.
I hear driver often say how they hate send agains.
I can't understand why.
It just doesn't matter
If it isn't that package tomorrow, it'll be another.

BH, I must agree with you here. It costs more to pay a claim than it does to re-attempt a package. However when we try to avoid a send-again we must ask ourselves this:

Can we release the package (out of sight, out of weather)?
Is there a neighbor we can indirect to? Or are we too lazy to ask?
Is this a 'safe area'?
Are we making a 'good release'?

If we don't consider these items during release, we only put ourselves and our reputation at-risk.

705red

Browncafe Steward

As upstate said he has paid for packages in the past! He is playing with fire and in this economy i have seen tracers go up at homes.

Everyone one of us should not be cutting corners like this. We have drivers laid off and yet we continue to take risks, at least for the time being do the job by the methods. Leave a notice and try 3 times, this creates more stops and is company policy!

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
As upstate said he has paid for packages in the past! He is playing with fire and in this economy i have seen tracers go up at homes.

Everyone one of us should not be cutting corners like this. We have drivers laid off and yet we continue to take risks, at least for the time being do the job by the methods. Leave a notice and try 3 times, this creates more stops and is company policy!

Agreed. I don't DR apartments anymore. I've never had to pay for a bad DR, I just prefer leaving the pkgs at the office. All of my apartment managers welcome me to leave pkgs at the office, as long as I leave an info notice, which I always do. I scan each notice so it can be referenced online. I don't even DR shipper release pkgs, preferring to leave those at the office as well, so's I never have driver follow ups.

myback

well our mgmt put it in writing giving drivers permission to dr pkgs at apt fd in secured bldgs. most apt mgrs dont want to be buried with pkgs so i try to avoid them.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

well our mgmt put it in writing giving drivers permission to dr pkgs at apt fd in secured bldgs. most apt mgrs dont want to be buried with pkgs so i try to avoid them.

Driver release in a secured apt bldg (where you have to be buzzed in for entry) is a given. We are talking about your basic apt complex, some of which have an apt mgr and others which do not.

MikeTbob

Our center is doing the same thing, DR to secured access APTS is ok, preferably only to the upper floors, where not everyone can see them. We can DR to duplexes too but only if the doors are not visible from each other.
I used to work on a downtown route that had several apt complexes, they had their own package and mail room that we had to deliver to, that room had so much stuff in there it was ridiculous. Why don't those people go get their stuff?? I heard one day they called UPS to come get all that stuff and send it back, there must have been hundreds of packages being returned and I am so glad it wasn't my route.

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
During christmas I had my helper ring the buzzer till he got in and then would dr the pkg. Didn't see anything wrong with that. Sometimes he would get a little carried away and ring all of them at once and would have several people come to the door for the pkg. Now that peak is over I am back to leaving info notices.

City Driver

well i found out the policy is after 1 delivery attempt the driver just takes it to the office and they sign for it there and i come pick it up later

heres somethin i always wondered about though...if a driver leaves a package that dont require a signature on somebodys door step and that somebody calls the center the next day and says they never got there package, how does UPS know that package was stolen and the customer isnt lying? i dont see any way they could prove that the customer didnt just take it inside and decide to cheat the company and say they never got it

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
well i found out the policy is after 1 delivery attempt the driver just takes it to the office and they sign for it there and i come pick it up later

heres somethin i always wondered about though...if a driver leaves a package that dont require a signature on somebodys door step and that somebody calls the center the next day and says they never got there package, how does UPS know that package was stolen and the customer isnt lying? i dont see any way they could prove that the customer didnt just take it inside and decide to cheat the company and say they never got it

Lie detector test?

MikeTbob

As an added bonus, when you fill out a DFU form (Driver Follow up) and claim that you did not get your package, you will never get another package DR'ed to this address again. It's a PITA.

slantnosechevy

As an added bonus, when you fill out a DFU form (Driver Follow up) and claim that you did not get your package, you will never get another package DR'ed to this address again. It's a PITA.

Exactly right.

It's always a nightmare when you have areas that bounce between 2-3 drivers and one of them is a "work off the clock runner". Funny how all the tracers are from the days he has that area. I've got 15 new signature stops because of him and an easier day. Another funny thing is the customers want to know why I ask for a sig. and the other guy doesn't? hmmmmmm. Sounds like I'll be in the office with him soon as his steward. It's going to be awkward......

Exactly right.

It's always a nightmare when you have areas that bounce between 2-3 drivers and one of them is a "work off the clock runner". Funny how all the tracers are from the days he has that area. I've got 15 new signature stops because of him and an easier day. Another funny thing is the customers want to know why I ask for a sig. and the other guy doesn't? hmmmmmm. Sounds like I'll be in the office with him soon as his steward. It's going to be awkward......
I would think that if this occurs because of when he is running your area, you should excuse yourself out of conflict of interest.

NHDRVR

might be a stupid question to you but i dont know how this works cuz i havent had alot of packages delivered to my home before

im about to move into an apartment, and ill be ordering a few things off the internet to get delivered there...will UPS or other companies leave packages in the hallway right outside my apartment door? cuz knowing these apartments the package will get stolen within 5 minutes

and i dont want to have to call the shipper or UPS or shipping company and deal with all the hassle of telling them my package never arrived

how does this work?

I haven't read the other responses but I am sure you were answered this way.

It depends...

If the building is not considered an unsafe are then, yes, I will leave it as a courtesy.
Until I get burned...
Then it's sig. req.
I would rather leave everything so my customers don't have to wait, instead of the paid-send-agains.
As with any route, the driver knows the area and will decide what to do.