question on catholicism

Big Babooba

My grandparents came from Poland. My father's side belonged to the Roman Catholic Church. My mother's side belonged to the Polish National Catholic Church. I've been to both churches and really there are no differences in the mass. Priests can get married in the National Catholic church. Here's a link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_National_Catholic_Church. I don't go to mass as often as I would like to and I cannot make excuses for it. I have been to a few Baptist services and at first felt like a fish out of water. I half expected the roof to cave in on me the first time. I was taught at a young age that I would go to Hell if I ever went to anything but a Catholic church.Although the service was different to me, the message was the same. I was glad that I went because I learned something about other people.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I have to say I dont see much difference. Other than I think its pretty boring. The church I am used to going to we have an upbeat minister, always gives a great sermon, and then its over. This catholic stuff just drags on and on. I guess I dont get it. And I think it is too long.
Did I mention its way too long?

Average at Best

I had the same experience as you - 12 years of Catholic school -
When my kids were little, we put them in Catholic school - one of my sons did not do well with the nuns and one of the nuns went way beyond hiting the hands or a spank on the butt.... the problem we had was she denied it and the principal stuck up for her.

I went to a Catholic school, and it was that experience that made me revoke my catholicism. Everything was based on money - the district attorney's daughter was the starting varsity pitcher (but was no good), the board of directors' kids got preferrential treatment, etc. As a work-study kid, it was tough, especially when they preach about the widow and her pennies and the rich man having a harder time getting into heaven than a camel through a needle'e eye, but practice that money can buy the church's respect.

As soon as I left home, I stopped going to church, but I still felt excluded from other people. So I started volunteering on Sundays. Walking dogs at the humane society, working with Girl Scouts, and doing yardwork for a battered women's shelter has connected me more to God and His plan for me than sitting through an hour long service in a church that doesn't treat me - a woman - as an equal. I bear no grudge to those that are religious - I just see religions as a business out to make money based on the promise of salvation, when I truly think I can achieve salvation by following the simple rules of "first, do no harm" and "treat others as you'd want yourself treated."

UPS Lifer

Average, I certainly agree with you on the point you are making. It is all about money and what I call Catholic politics. I saw it all through y 12 years of Catholic education. I can't speak about other religions and I certainly don't believe that only a chosen group of people make it to heaven (or what ever name you want to call it).

I always snicker and feel bad for those folks who I hear and see condemn others for a particular belief or life style. It is not up to any of us to decide what happens to their souls...but we act like it is!! LOL

I watched how my uncle took each of his parishes from the red to the black.... This is how you impress the bishops and cardinals. He became the Bishop of Montana! It re-enforces what we talked about earlier. He is now retired and we are very proud of the way he governed. His intentions were pure and holy. He is a man I deeply respect.

But the culture is there. I don't think it can be reformed.

Average at Best

I always snicker and feel bad for those folks who I hear and see condemn others for a particular belief or life style. It is not up to any of us to decide what happens to their souls...but we act like it is!! LOL

You'd love my mom then...she's as strict Catholic Italian as you can get, and she gets so angry over stupid things like people wearing sneakers or jeans to Mass, or families that hold hands during the Lord's Prayer. The best part is, when you remind her about the whole "let he who is without sin cast the first stone" thing, she gets even more steamed. She and her side of the family are the most judgemental people I have ever met in my life - and I work for UPS!

feeder53

ADKtrails
I grew up Catholic, and went to Catholic schools and they where strick and a lot of what you say I understand. As I grew up and traveled to different cultures and see their religions, we are all talking about the same higher power. I have come to be more excepting of all.....But those Nuns had the torture thing down pat......

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
About 75 minutes
Ill try a different parish next time.
People were Ok, but pretty snooty. And I couldnt keep the youngest quiet, so next time I wont take her.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
i dont know why a baptist in texas would look down on a catholic in texas, ther're both in the same dung-hole.
I dont look down on it, and I am not in Texas. They were. Im just not catholic, and was searching for some divine guidance in an area I was not familiar with. Thanks

A

an anonymous guest

Being a good catholic family, we sent our three daughters to Religious Education at our local parish. My wife and I were always very open about talking to them about the failings of the church (good Catholics call it the human side, like Galileo being in purgatory for 500 years and stuff). So, one day we get a call from the Rel Ed. director about our oldest daughter. She was asked how many sacraments there were and she said, '7 for men, 6 for women.' She had been taught that answer by my aunt, an 85 year old Sister of Mercy.

So the nuns ain;t all bad....

Go UPS!
P71

Last edited by a moderator:

Average at Best

Nothing more intimidating than those black & white penguin habits they wore. Don't forget to arm them with rulers.:happy2: One nun locked my friend's brother in the closet all day. They can't do that nowadays.

If we were late to class, we had to kneel in the hallway for 5 minutes. If we were late a second time, we had to kneel for 5 minutes with a Bible in each hand, held shoulder-high. Bare knees kneeling on tile floors quickly taught me the value of punctuality. :happy2:

rod

Retired 22 years
If we were late to class, we had to kneel in the hallway for 5 minutes. If we were late a second time, we had to kneel for 5 minutes with a Bible in each hand, held shoulder-high. Bare knees kneeling on tile floors quickly taught me the value of punctuality. :happy2:

So them catholic girls I dated weren't lying about how they got calouses on their knees:peaceful:

moreluck

golden ticket member
We used to have to kneel down and our uniform plaid, pleated skirt had to touch the floor or we got detention. We were notorius for rolling up the skirts at the waistband......let's face it, it was the 60's and minis were in style.

Average at Best

We used to have to kneel down and our uniform plaid, pleated skirt had to touch the floor or we got detention. We were notorius for rolling up the skirts at the waistband......let's face it, it was the 60's and minis were in style.

Same here! It was the '90s, but I don't remember what was in style because I was always in a blue plaid skirt. If our skirt didn't touch the floor, we'd get detention and napkins taped around the hem to shield pervent's eyes from our scandalously sexy knees.