Question regarding air service

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Those are one of those times where you search for air and don't do anything else until 10:30 haha.
If your first stop was ground and the rest air... Or you gave some dink a ground envelope with the air at no cost to time... I would mention that.

Box Ox

Does it matter that it wasn't a "scheduled" day off? They told me they didn't have work for me that day, so am I obligated to answer the phone if they come asking me to come in again?

If they tell you they don’t need you, your day should proceed as if UPS does not exist. If you answer your phone again and come in late, you’re liable to be thrown into and responsible for a :censored2:ing mess of management’s own creation.

This is your own moment where you’ve realized that trying to do management favors will get you absolutely nothing for when it comes time for them to protect themselves.

Rack em

Made the Podium
There is no way the warning letter should stick given the circumstances. File for harassment AND file for supervisors working since you said the sup took pieces off the truck. I can't believe your management team is that bad that they would give you a warning letter after you came in for them. Don't do them any more favors ever again, like indecision said.

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
What if I couldn't have gotten there until 10:00? Would I have been liable then? 9:50? 9:55? My point is, I was not given proper notice to report before the scheduled start time giving me an unfair disadvantage for delivering air on time.
Should have turned your phone off or ignored the call. You said they did not have work for you at 7:30, then you already reported and did your best to work at that point.

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
Rookie, you played into there hand like a school boy with candy. Never answer the phone after being told your off. But hey we all make mistakes I know I have. Next time they call you and you answer it's on you.

IESucks

Hey brothers,
So the other day I called in at 7:30am and was told they don't have work for me. I then receive a call at 9am asking how soon can I be there. I live close to the hub so I said about 9:30. Upon arrival, I was told I'll be covering a route and that a supervisor had taken air pieces of the trip. I find out during my first stop that I still have additional air pieces on my truck and was sent a message from dispatch saying I do indeed have air pieces. I ran ground with air and delivered two air pieces after 10:30 but before 11 and now I am being written up for having late air.

My question is, was I still liable to deliver air packages before commit times even though I was not originally scheduled that work day?
Yes you are, the smart thing to say is they will be late when you were told you had air. And of course never run air and ground unless you are certain it will not be late.

Brisket

Verify your air pieces regardless of what you are told, if anything is missing, grab a supervisor and tell them ( preferably with a witness) that you are missing pieces, put it on them.

IESucks

Verify your air pieces regardless of what you are told, if anything is missing, grab a supervisor and tell them ( preferably with a witness) that you are missing pieces, put it on them.
Always, my last two years I told my :censored2: sup my air might be late, every single day.

He was told they pulled all of his air stops plus he was under the gun running a route at the last minute. Been there lots of times. His management team threw him under the wheels just to protect themselves. Warning letter will mean nothing when the truth comes out.

Brisket

He was told they pulled all of his air stops plus he was under the gun running a route at the last minute. Been there lots of times. His management team threw him under the wheels just to protect themselves. Warning letter will mean nothing when the truth comes out.

I understand that but I STILL would have checked. Cover your butt.

Daf

Sounds like your management are doing a piss poor job at planning how many routes they need. Maybe they should fix their own problems before they nitpick at your mistake.

35years

Gravy route
Her exact words were "He took the air off," not "he took SOME air off," and I was informed about air being present on my car around 10:15.

Did you deliver any ground AFTER they informed you had air, but before 10:30?

At 10:15 they informed you. Your responsibility at that point is to skip all ground and deliver only air until 10:30.

If you did not deliver ground between 10:15 and 10:30 they have no cause to discipline.

For now on deliver all NDA by 10:15. Do not deliver any ground if there is any chance you could have a late NDA.

rod

Retired 22 years
UPS has air commits? I was under the impression all you had to do was look for a drop of rain or a snowflake and then you 'Emergency Condition" it.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Hey brothers,
So the other day I called in at 7:30am and was told they don't have work for me. I then receive a call at 9am asking how soon can I be there. I live close to the hub so I said about 9:30. Upon arrival, I was told I'll be covering a route and that a supervisor had taken air pieces of the trip. I find out during my first stop that I still have additional air pieces on my truck and was sent a message from dispatch saying I do indeed have air pieces. I ran ground with air and delivered two air pieces after 10:30 but before 11 and now I am being written up for having late air.

My question is, was I still liable to deliver air packages before commit times even though I was not originally scheduled that work day?
Nice knowing you.

john chesney

Hey brothers,

Were they in your diad? If so you’re responsible to check. If not different story

john chesney

There is no way the warning letter should stick given the circumstances. File for harassment AND file for supervisors working since you said the sup took pieces off the truck. I can't believe your management team is that bad that they would give you a warning letter after you came in for them. Don't do them any more favors ever again, like indecision said.
You can’t believe the management team is that bad? Do you really work at Ups?

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
If you know you will have late air notify center, run air only until 1030, then run air and ground. Late is late whether it is 1 minute late or 1 hour late

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Exactly. It doesn't matter whether I start at 9 or 10 or whatever time, you pre-trip the vehicle, download edd , verify airs and first stop before you leave the building. If you ignore any of those, you might be in some trouble later.