Question regarding air service

Hey brothers,
So the other day I called in at 7:30am and was told they don't have work for me. I then receive a call at 9am asking how soon can I be there. I live close to the hub so I said about 9:30. Upon arrival, I was told I'll be covering a route and that a supervisor had taken air pieces of the trip. I find out during my first stop that I still have additional air pieces on my truck and was sent a message from dispatch saying I do indeed have air pieces. I ran ground with air and delivered two air pieces after 10:30 but before 11 and now I am being written up for having late air.

My question is, was I still liable to deliver air packages before commit times even though I was not originally scheduled that work day?

Johney

Hey brothers,
So the other day I called in at 7:30am and was told they don't have work for me. I then receive a call at 9am asking how soon can I be there. I live close to the hub so I said about 9:30. Upon arrival, I was told I'll be covering a route and that a supervisor had taken air pieces of the trip. I find out during my first stop that I still have additional air pieces on my truck and was sent a message from dispatch saying I do indeed have air pieces. I ran ground with air and delivered two air pieces after 10:30 but before 11 and now I am being written up for having late air.

My question is, was I still liable to deliver air packages before commit times even though I was not originally scheduled that work day?
Yup you were told you had air and ignored it. By your own words highlighted in red that will be your demise. Not being scheduled to work has nothing to do with it.

Big Arrow Down...D

Leave the gun,take the cannoli
Hey brothers,

Written up?
WDFD....get over it and move on.

El Correcto

god is dead
Don’t stress warning letters, you’re a human and made a mistake. Try to get it lowered to a verbal if it is the first time.
Don’t deliver ground with air if you will have late air, run straight air.
Let them know if you’ll have late air and deliver straight air even if it’ll be late.

Yup you were told you had air and ignored it. By your own words highlighted in red that will be your demise. Not being scheduled to work has nothing to do with it.
What if I couldn't have gotten there until 10:00? Would I have been liable then? 9:50? 9:55? My point is, I was not given proper notice to report before the scheduled start time giving me an unfair disadvantage for delivering air on time.

El Correcto

god is dead
What if I couldn't have gotten there until 10:00? Would I have been liable then? 9:50? 9:55? My point is, I was not given proper notice to report before the scheduled start time giving me an unfair disadvantage for delivering air on time.
You also delivered ground. Don’t do that if you’re going to have late. Run straight air, even if it’ll be late.
Also inform them ahead of time if you think you’ll have late.

El Correcto

god is dead
A better way to avoid all of this is don’t come in on your days off. Don’t answer your phone for them and stay home. You don’t have to answer your supervisor.

You also delivered ground. Don’t do that if you’re going to have late. Run straight air, even if it’ll be late.
Also inform them ahead of time if you think you’ll have late.
I delivered ground because I was told by the dispatcher that my supervisor took the air off the trip. I did not receive a message saying I had air until about 10:10-10:15, hardly enough notice to get air off on time.

A better way to avoid all of this is don’t come in on your days off. Don’t answer your phone for them and stay home. You don’t have to answer your supervisor.
Right, I just learned this from the steward. Apparently, after the initial phone call saying they don't have work, you are not obligated to answer your phone and accept work. Didn't know that.

El Correcto

god is dead
I delivered ground because I was told by the dispatcher that my supervisor took the air off the trip. I did not receive a message saying I had air until about 10:10-10:15, hardly enough notice to get air off on time.
I’d agree with that, but you said you were told during your first stop you had air. That means don’t deliver the ground and run straight air.

Indecisi0n

Depends. Was the air mixed in with the load or was it loaded in the 1000 section? First thing most drivers would do is check that area and/or edd to make sure there are not air commits.

If the warning letter does stick I would personally go to that sup and tell him " Don't ever call me on my day off or expect me to work any time off in the future. On top of that don't ever use my personal cell phone number again".

You need to throw it back in their face.

I’d agree with that, but you said you were told during your first stop you had air. That means don’t deliver the ground and run straight air.
I FOUND air during my first stop, but I wasn't informed by the center until the above-mentioned time. I just don't think it should have been my responsibility to search for any more air stops I MIGHT have because I found an air piece during my first stop, especially after I was told my supervisor "removed the air" from the trip. The air pieces that were taken off by the supervisor were also still in my EDD, so I had no reliable way to verify what air I had and didn't have.

Depends. Was the air mixed in with the load or was it loaded in the 1000 section? First thing most drivers would do is check that area and/or edd to make sure there are not air commits.

If the warning letter does stick I would personally go to that sup and tell him " Don't ever call me on my day off or expect me to work any time off in the future. On top of that don't ever use my personal cell phone number again".

You need to throw it back in their face.
Yes, there were several air pieces for one (1) stop that were located at RDL when they were listed as being in the 1000 section in EDD. Furthermore, if I was told by the dispatcher that my supervisor had taken the air off the trip, I don't feel as though it was my responsibility to check for any air pieces I might have. I could be wrong though.

Indecisi0n

Yes, there were several air pieces for one (1) stop that were located at RDL when they were listed as being in the 1000 section in EDD. Furthermore, if I was told by the dispatcher that my supervisor had taken the air off the trip, I don't feel as though it was my responsibility to check for any air pieces I might have. I could be wrong though.
You are correct but the sup isn't going to admit it and take blame. Just let them know: 1)Who told you all air was pulled 2)Air was located out of PAL order 3)You weren't advised until later there may be air on car.

Again I would still confront the sup and advise him never to use your phone again or work you on days off. Hes throwing you under the bus and you can't let that happen. Once you become "that guy" you'll always be looked at as such.

You are correct but the sup isn't going to admit it and take blame. Just let them know: 1)Who told you all air was pulled 2)Air was located out of PAL order 3)You weren't advised until later there may be air on car.

Again I would still confront the sup and advise him never to use your phone again or work you on days off. Hes throwing you under the bus and you can't let that happen. Once you become "that guy" you'll always be looked at as such.
Does it matter that it wasn't a "scheduled" day off? They told me they didn't have work for me that day, so am I obligated to answer the phone if they come asking me to come in again?

I think you're right, I absolutely feel like I'm being thrown under the bus and I'm not going to roll over and take it up the ass because then they'll use and abuse me for my entire tenure there.

Her exact words were "He took the air off," not "he took SOME air off," and I was informed about air being present on my car around 10:15.

Indecisi0n

Does it matter that it wasn't a "scheduled" day off? They told me they didn't have work for me that day, so am I obligated to answer the phone if they come asking me to come in again?

I think you're right, I absolutely feel like I'm being thrown under the bus and I'm not going to roll over and take it up the ass because then they'll use and abuse me for my entire tenure there.

Her exact words were "He took the air off," not "he took SOME air off," and I was informed about air being present on my car around 10:15.
No, being scheduled or not has nothing to do with anything here.
If I ever go to work and they ask me if I want the day and leave, as soon as I enter my car I ignore all work phone calls. Even calls from drivers I know just in case the sup is having a "friend" call me.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
No, being scheduled or not has nothing to do with anything here.
If I ever go to work and they ask me if I want the day and leave, as soon as I enter my car I ignore all work phone calls. Even calls from drivers I know just in case the sup is having a "friend" call me.
you tell him