Question- work on Sunday?

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
They run a Sunday sort in my building starting this weekend, but you sign up voluntarily for that.
Some drivers with heavy delivery routes love signing up because it affects the 60 hour DOT rule for Friday dispatch.

I don't visit here much, but I was just curious if anyone has been told that you will be working a Sunday? We are having a normal workday the day after Thanksgiving, and just this week we were told we would be working on Sunday Dec. 21st. They said other sunday's may be a possibility. This is not going over well at our building, and the union is clueless (as usual) as to the pay, etc.. Has anyone else heard this?
I also heard December 31st as a scheduled work day. As long as it's after the 34 hour reset is kosher. Double time. I'll work it as I'll be calling off that Friday.

Packmule

I hope they can't force a senior driver to work the 21st. If they do, they can also reimburse me for the Broadway theater tickets I bought a month ago! They are for 2:00 pm. They were my wife's birthday present!

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Working on the saboth ... I think not.

Exodus 35:2
Six days work shall be done, but on the seventh day you shall have a Sabbath of solemn rest, holy to the Lord. Whoever does any work on it shall be put to death.

I won't be in......

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They run a Sunday sort in my building starting this weekend, but you sign up voluntarily for that.
Some drivers with heavy delivery routes love signing up because it affects the 60 hour DOT rule for Friday dispatch.

I am surprised that management allows drivers to sign up knowing that it could come back to bite them on Friday.

O

OLDMAN3

No way. Everyone would be out of hours later in the week.
But hours will reset because you are not driving on Christmas. They will work you Sunday the 21st instead of Saturday the 20th because you will have a fresh 60 hours.... and then later in the week you will reset again on the 25th-26th. Whoever is making this decision will have to answer to a higher power. I believe in keeping the Lord's day holy.