QUESTIONS CO-WORKERS ASK RETIREES

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
what is sad is when I hear about drivers who are afraid to retire. one of my best friends stayed an extra 5 years . he finally did about 8 months ago and told me he regrets not going out sooner.

I know I know , everyone's situation is different, usually financial concerns. I'm talking about the people that don't have money worries and are just afraid to retire cause they don't know what they are going to do with themselves.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
All I know is I keep busy. Ive lived here 20 yrs and had yet to unpack, so Im throwing it all out. But when I get up at 430 am to take the dog out and there is a ton of snow.....I love that I dont have to go anywhere,

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
All I know is I keep busy. Ive lived here 20 yrs and had yet to unpack, so Im throwing it all out. But when I get up at 430 am to take the dog out and there is a ton of snow.....I love that I dont have to go anywhere,
Yup, just put on yer big fuzzy slippers and make another pot of coffee :)

TSGRelic

Funny, ran into a former feeder co worker today at burger joint and he asked me the same 3-4 questions I always get when i see a former co worker after retiring.

Q, how do you like retirement?
A . great , everyday feels like a Saturday

Q. How are the health benefits? ( I'm in Western conference )
A. Pretty good . pay $75 each for me and spouse a month . prescriptions and dr. co pay is pretty low.

Q. Do you miss UPS?
A. Don't even think about it unless in news. Feels like I worked there 100 years ago. ( been retired 5 years )

Q. Do you ever get bored?
A. hardly ever. always busy doing something. seems like we never have enough time to do everything we want to do.

Usually , without me asking they tell you about all the changes at UPS, usually for the worse.

Meanwhile , they comment that you look so happy/ content

"Ya, I am " I say.
Retired TSG here, doing gig work and started my own repair service. Still talk to my comrades on occasion, still see my regular driver when orion doesn't miss him up, LOL. Everything is pretty much as I expected except health care benefits are costing about four times what I was paying while active. Seriously my premiums bill is almost half my pension, and I left with 28 yrs service at 55. Keep that in mind, and if anyone can argue or has a different experience I'd love to hear it..

what is sad is when I hear about drivers who are afraid to retire. one of my best friends stayed an extra 5 years . he finally did about 8 months ago and told me he regrets not going out sooner.

I know I know , everyone's situation is different, usually financial concerns. I'm talking about the people that don't have money worries and are just afraid to retire cause they don't know what they are going to do with themselves.
5 years = about 15K

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I retired January 8 and the driver who delivers to my house asked me pretty much the same questions today lol. He was happy as me and two other high seniority drivers retired around the same time and some good routes opened up .I'm glad for him, but I'm even glader not to be there any longer.