Questions from a new hire

cfuller94

Hello! I've recently been hired (nov. 28th) as a part-time Package Handler in the Louisville Worldport, but have a few questions that I can't seem to find someone who knows the answer to.

First off, when I applied to UPS I asked the lady who was interviewing me if any other jobs were able to earn Metro-College benefits aside from hub positions and she told me no, they were the only ones. But nearly a month after I applied and was hired, a friend of mine applied to UPS and was offered an administrative job (Load plane runner) and earns metro-college benefits as well.

Therefore, after learning about this, I inquired about my ability to transfer to a position like this or how high my seniority would have to be. My manager informed me that the only two ways to get a job like that would be to earn a supervisor position and transfer, or to quit and transfer. But that didn't seem entirely right to me. Why wouldn't I be able to transfer? Is it simply because of union rules? I'm not sure I completely Understand this process.

Lastly, as a UPS employee, am I required to take their health insurance, or am I able to waive it if I can verify proof of other health insurance?

If anyone has any information regarding the above questions, or numbers that I could call to gather more information, I would be greatly appreciative.

Leftinbuilding

Never heard of anyone refusing UPS insurance. Why would you? They pay for it, and it's some of the best money can buy. Very curious. And no, they will not give the $ if you waive it.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Do u want to waive your insurance for more pay? At this time that can not be done. Not entirely sure why u wouldn't want some of the best insurance around?

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Local transfers are addressed in local/regional riders of the contract. In much of the country, they're prohibited for hourly employees, hence the suggestion to go into supervisor. But could it also be that the "administrative job" your friend is doing is considered management?

Regarding the health insurance, there was another thread on this recently: no, you don't have to take the health insurance. Judging by your username, I'm assuming you're 18-19 and covered by your parents' health insurance. Before you drop the UPS health insurance, compare the cost to what your parents are paying (if anything). Also compare the costs of utilizing the insurance... granted, I didn't see a doctor throughout much of my 20s, but perhaps you have health problems, you're involved with sports, etc. Or maybe you have to pay for your dental cleanings under your parents' plan.

barnyard

KTM rider
He/she is asking about moving from a union job to a non-union position. Union work rules have nothing to do with what he/she wants to do. I am also guessing that the HR person that hired him/her did not see the qualifications to do a job that had those benefits.

At this point, the smartest thing to do would be to put a letter in as his/her supe tried to explain.

cfuller94

I am currently 18 years old and am in fact on my parents insurance. I was curious if I didn't accept it, would I have to pay the 10$ they take out weekly for the health, but someone seems to have said I do.

I believe I am referring to movin from a union to non-union job, and as far as qualifications, I held a receptionist like job at a car dealership for roughly 3 years and held a high GPA in high school. I'm not sure where I would fall short.

The way they described it though, there was no way to move from my current position to an "office job" without quitting and re-applying.

Thanks again for the help!

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
What I think you meant to say your friend is, is a "Load Planner" which is an AOT position in the air division...like a clerk...OMS....non-management...but non-union. Worldport does a lot of things it's own way.....so I can't quite say with any certainty their local rules. There shouldn't be any reason why you can't transfer to be a Load Planner. I'd double check, because once you become a PT sup...there's no going back to anything else, and that includes an AOT.

Unless my assumption that you meant Load Planner is completely wrong. I've never heard of a "Load Plane Runner".......but again, Louisville does their own thing....

I wish there were more Air people on BC....

S

serenity now

Unless my assumption that you meant Load Planner is completely wrong. I've never heard of a "Load Plane Runner".......but again, Louisville does their own thing....

I wish there were more Air people on BC....

..... maybe he meant Lone Plain Ranger :happy-very:

cfuller94

It is a load plan runner. They take load plans and notocs etc... To the load plan sups.

But i'm
really referring to any non-management, non- union job.

It does seem louisville does their own thing, it's hard to find information that coincides with what two people inform me. =\

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
It is a load plan runner. They take load plans and notocs etc... To the load plan sups.

But i'm
really referring to any non-management, non- union job.

It does seem louisville does their own thing, it's hard to find information that coincides with what two people inform me. =\

LOL!!!! They have a job for that?!?! We have that too. It's called whatever sorry sap is close enough to the office when the weight and balance and NOTOC's are printed...management, hourly, mechanic, whomever. Haul ass out to the jet!!!

Granted, Worldport is quite huge and impressive....turn 200-some flights a day if I recall the numbers correctly...but they will never cease to amaze me with job positions like Load Plan Runner. You made my night. Thank you.

This also explains why I can never get ahold of the ramp supervisor who receives the flight from my gateway. They need to make a Telephone Runner position....

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
But to answer your question as best I can...

There is nothing against part-time union hourlies making a move to an administrative position. The only caveat here is how SDF is labeling that position. Or the person you talked to is straight up wrong. If I were you, I'd ask for more information about that stuff from someone else. Unfortunately, there isn't much chance that you will find the answer here, as there are practically nobody from the air division, (let alone from Worldport), that actively use this forum besides myself.

If I happen to find anything out during the week, I'll let you know....

cfuller94

It's a real position. She said its because the planes are not always near the hanger? Not sure of that clears it up.

But thanks for your input! If you hear anything, please post here.

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
It's a real position. She said its because the planes are not always near the hanger? Not sure of that clears it up.

But thanks for your input! If you hear anything, please post here.

No I understand the need. It's a big place....lots of space...big, open air ramps. Not every flight can be grouped up near the offices.

AKA load plan brisk pacer.

I see what you did thur. Touche!

barnyard

KTM rider
If you take a job that offers benefits, more than likely, your parents plan is going to give you the boot. You may get the boot from their plan is they find out you refused benefits. That is the way it is with our benefits and dependents. My daughter is working on her doctorate. If she gets a certain amount of funding, she will become a university employee and will not be eligible to be covered under my health plan.

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
You may want to re-ask your question to someone else about transferring to an administrative position like a load plan runner. There is nothing keeping a union, part-time hourly from applying for that position. You are getting misinformation from somewhere....

cfuller94

That would make a lot of sense, barnyard.

And yeh, it seemed weird that there was no way to transfer to a non-union position. But I'll ask my new supervisor. My manager was the original person I asked, but perhaps there was a misunderstanding?

Thanks again, longtimecoming!