Questions from a new preloader/unloader!!!

awb2007

1. Is this job seriously as bad as people make it seem my first day is tuesday morning and im sweating it out beause ive never been the most physically fit person?

2. If i need of for a week would i be able to request it off without pay or can ups not do that?

3. I dislocated my kneww 6 months ago and didnt get surgery and it seems fine, should i wear a knee brace just in case?

4. Please tell me from experience a few things i need to prepare for...the worst and the best aspects of my job..... thanks....

drewed

Shankman
its not that bad its a UPS culture thing people dont like, i wouldnt worry about it too much...the time off ask your sup and see what they can do its dependent on them whether or not its a problem....youll be in shape soon enough thatll take a couple weeks to get use to too you ll have aches and pains and bruises yo never you could have....and the knee thing let you sup know just in case

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
1. Is this job seriously as bad as people make it seem my first day is tuesday morning and im sweating it out beause ive never been the most physically fit person?

2. If i need of for a week would i be able to request it off without pay or can ups not do that?

3. I dislocated my kneww 6 months ago and didnt get surgery and it seems fine, should i wear a knee brace just in case?

4. Please tell me from experience a few things i need to prepare for...the worst and the best aspects of my job..... thanks....

1. The job is what you make of it
2.Maybe after a few months
3.Yes.
4.Get plenty of rest for the early mornings :happy-very:

myback

it all depends on how well or not u handle stress. it is physical but that stays a constant either your body can or cant adapt to the physical parts of the job, and you toughen up or cya. its the stress that will sink you. its always changing from every angle causing u to become frustrated and then lose control. injuries /accidents all come from poor mgmt of stress. people(managers) will only push you if you let them. do an honest job try hard and sups have to respect that. i've found it helpful keep work and home completley seperate, not blending the two.

bellesotico

BOXstar

1. I wouldn't say that it is bad...but it is extremely difficult and mentally challenging. As far as you not necessarily being physically fit..give it some time. You will be. Job conditions vary from center to center, but the best thing to do is to get a good nights sleep, go in with a positive attitude, work as directed, and don't over think anything.

2. This varies from center to center. At mine you must put in for it as early as possible. Keep this in mind though...regarding time off and unearned vacation..ups can pretty much do whatever they want..and if you are just starting the job..it might not be all that impressive to ask for a week off ya know?

3. Yes.

4. Be prepared to have a sup attached to your hip for awhile. Be prepared to hear the word methods constantly. Be prepared to always be wrong. Be prepared to dream about moving boxes. Be prepared to have sores muscles and bruises where you never dreamed you could have bruises. Be prepared to get a ups "tan". Be prepared to feel every type of emotion under the sun over the course of a shift!

There are some positive aspects..like..you lose weight..get real buff...and definitely the negatives..I believe I listed a few :knockedout: But really you will just have to experience it all for yourself. Nothing anyone says can truly prepare you for the job. It's just truly unique to each individual.
Believe it or not. I actually love my job. Hate the politics...but love my job.

Good luck...and godspeed..lol...:peaceful:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Any job, whether it be UPS, McDonald's or wherever, is what you make of it. The benefit that you receive from this job will be in proportion to the effort that you put in to it.

As far as the week off (without pay), you will need to check with your supervisor and, if staffing permits, it most likely would not be a problem.

Did you disclose the injury during your interview? This is called a pre-existing condition and insurance may not cover treatment if you re-injure the knee.

This will be unlike any job that you have ever had in so many ways. Positive feedback is minimal to non-existent--they believe that your paycheck is feedback enough. Criticism, whether constructive or not, is constant and performance standards seem impossible to achieve.

upsgrunt

What I remember most from my preload years 20 years ago is getting used to the odd hours. After a while you get used to going to bed about 8, and then on the weekends when you try to stay up you will get real sleepy at 8 or 9, but if you make it past 1 your wide awake. After I went full time, it took a while to get my body clock back to "normal".