You have until Friday to get over 200 pph or we'll decide this isn't a good fit for you

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
Ok, new development: They sent me home early today because I wasn't keeping up with the packages. Today was like 40% teamlift heavy packages at like 70 lps each. I took into account that it's not counting when I log out of a trailer, so I took advantage of that when sliding the rollers or clearing jams. Going fast with the heavy packages and forgetting to put ice in my water made me feel like I was going to puke and die. The PPH: 168. Regarding coming on time, admittedly I was always maybe a tiny bit late but today I was there 20 minutes early to set up my stuff, only for it to end up disconnecting at work time. No, they're not gonna postpone the ultimatim to monday, manager said he moved me to smalls sort that day to see if it was a better fit (it wasn't, of course I wasn't amazing on my first day). HOWEVER, the safety trainer came in to give me a 45 days safe certificate and take my picture, and when I said this may be my last day because they said they'd fire me if I didn't make it to over 200, she told me to just keep working safely. Apparently the way they count days includes weekends. This is my fifth week on the floor. I'm hoping it's not my last. Today I'm gonna sleep at midnight instead of 3:30 AM (why yes, I DO have a problem, very keen observation). Than I'll get 10 hours of sleep. Show up 30 minutes early and not lose my waterbottle and make sure I'm 100% ready to roll at start time.
You got this man, believe in your Self. If this is what you truly desire set your mind to it and claim it yours. That safety certificate doesn’t mean anything regarding making book. You just gotta clock in the required days and after the 71st you’re in. 70 is a pain though because it gives free reign for them to screw you longer. Just try to show up on time and do your best. Get in touch with the steward and get to know the BA.

AccidentProne

So I've been working as a package loader at Ceritos for about 20 days now, or a little over a work month. We need 400 pph, my supervisors admit 300 is more realistic, I have yet to get over 180. On Tuesday, my manager told me that unless I can get over 200 by friday than we'll decide it's not a good fit for me. And unfortunately, their unloading guys are fully staffed and aren't hiring right now, which I tried one day and it went much faster. Yesterday I was pulled from my station into smalls sort, which went well, so I'm assuming they'll give me until Monday to make up for the lost day. However, that was just because they needed help that particular day, though they MAY be hiring, not sure. Anyway, how screwed am I if I fail to make that goal of over 200? Especilly since he didn't explicitly say they'll fire me or let me go, even after I asked "so if I don't make it than you'll fire me?" "We'll decide this is not a good fit for you."
200/hour isn't hard, 3.3 packages per min, 20 seconds each is nothing crazy to ask for. They will never move you to small sort if you are a guy.

Unload isn't much better either, its 1200/hour or 20/min, it's more mindless but physically harder on your body.

Also if you're Union, none of this matters. The only they can do is send you home early after your 3.5 hours, which is allowed in contract.

AccidentProne

Ok, new development: They sent me home early today because I wasn't keeping up with the packages. Today was like 40% teamlift heavy packages at like 70 lps each. I took into account that it's not counting when I log out of a trailer, so I took advantage of that when sliding the rollers or clearing jams. Going fast with the heavy packages and forgetting to put ice in my water made me feel like I was going to puke and die. The PPH: 168. Regarding coming on time, admittedly I was always maybe a tiny bit late but today I was there 20 minutes early to set up my stuff, only for it to end up disconnecting at work time. No, they're not gonna postpone the ultimatim to monday, manager said he moved me to smalls sort that day to see if it was a better fit (it wasn't, of course I wasn't amazing on my first day). HOWEVER, the safety trainer came in to give me a 45 days safe certificate and take my picture, and when I said this may be my last day because they said they'd fire me if I didn't make it to over 200, she told me to just keep working safely. Apparently the way they count days includes weekends. This is my fifth week on the floor. I'm hoping it's not my last. Today I'm gonna sleep at midnight instead of 3:30 AM (why yes, I DO have a problem, very keen observation). Than I'll get 10 hours of sleep. Show up 30 minutes early and not lose my waterbottle and make sure I'm 100% ready to roll at start time.
You can screw with them too ya know? They come in to talk :censored2:, ask them to help you with anything over 70lb, put ice/water in your bottle, help with egress/jams. Make them work every time they come into your trailer and they will not come into your trailer unless they have to. My favorite is asking them to "show me how,' or can you show me the speed required." They generally don't have the physical strength like they used to and be able to do how it should be done.
12 weeks till peak and we are turning down employees 😂
More for me. :)

Distract3080

So, there was something important I forgot to mention in the first post: I also had to work on some safety violations. Well, apparently I didn't improve in that regard, so they let me go. We left on professional and friendly terms. They said I can come back in 2 months, maybe I'll try to get a small sorts job if I still want to work at UPS then. I feel like I came out of this whole experience a better person.

nWo

That doesn't seem right.

We're you a seasonal employee or something? I've never seen someone let go like that in 20 years. And if they really did fire you they aren't letting you come back in 2 months.

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
So, there was something important I forgot to mention in the first post: I also had to work on some safety violations. Well, apparently I didn't improve in that regard, so they let me go. We left on professional and friendly terms. They said I can come back in 2 months, maybe I'll try to get a small sorts job if I still want to work at UPS then. I feel like I came out of this whole experience a better person.
Bummer, man. Keep your head up. This job will still be here, and hopefully they don’t blacklist you.

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
You're blacklisted. Should have waited until peak

StackedOut’n’Vibing

cardboard peasant
Let’s hear about those safety violations. This company is hiring anyone with a pulse right now, it boggles my mind how they would let someone go. What did you do man?

AccidentProne

You're blacklisted. Should have waited until peak
Never heard of this, what does this mean in UPS? Is it just unhirable or is it something more?
Let’s hear about those safety violations. This company is hiring anyone with a pulse right now, it boggles my mind how they would let someone go. What did you do man?
I stand on boxes and belts like they're loadstands to reach the top of the wall and never gotten anything said to me, unless he was jumping out of the dock into the yard and playing chicken with the feeders, I do not see how he could've been fired if he was trying to stay.

Swanson

Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game.
So I've been working as a package loader at Ceritos for about 20 days now, or a little over a work month. We need 400 pph, my supervisors admit 300 is more realistic, I have yet to get over 180. On Tuesday, my manager told me that unless I can get over 200 by friday than we'll decide it's not a good fit for me. And unfortunately, their unloading guys are fully staffed and aren't hiring right now, which I tried one day and it went much faster. Yesterday I was pulled from my station into smalls sort, which went well, so I'm assuming they'll give me until Monday to make up for the lost day. However, that was just because they needed help that particular day, though they MAY be hiring, not sure. Anyway, how screwed am I if I fail to make that goal of over 200? Especilly since he didn't explicitly say they'll fire me or let me go, even after I asked "so if I don't make it than you'll fire me?" "We'll decide this is not a good fit for you."
better watch out they will replace you with sup

FozziesDeliveries

...I stand on boxes and belts like they're loadstands to reach the top of the wall and never gotten anything said to me, unless he was jumping out of the dock into the yard and playing chicken with the feeders, I do not see how he could've been fired if he was trying to stay.
I started in unload and then they put me on the belt loading trucks. Standing on boxes would be a no no cause they could collapse and you could get hurt and damage the packages. You are NEVER allowed to get on rollers! You are also never supposed to get on, stand on or cross the belt unless it has first been secured and tested it is secure. They are really picky about that and its surprising that they never said anything to you about it. I would definitely of thought they would of mentioned it so you didn't do it more instead of just letting you go... did you get injured at all during your 30 days... or 70 or whatever? Did you call off much? Maybe it was just a production ussue but idk....

FozziesDeliveries

Opps i just saw that i didn't quote the OP, but i am going to leave it for the info...
godzilla-deal-with-it.gif

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Try FedEx ground you’ll be a superstar over there

AccidentProne

I started in unload and then they put me on the belt loading trucks. Standing on boxes would be a no no cause they could collapse and you could get hurt and damage the packages. You are NEVER allowed to get on rollers! You are also never supposed to get on, stand on or cross the belt unless it has first been secured and tested it is secure. They are really picky about that and its surprising that they never said anything to you about it. I would definitely of thought they would of mentioned it so you didn't do it more instead of just letting you go... did you get injured at all during your 30 days... or 70 or whatever? Did you call off much? Maybe it was just a production ussue but idk....
Are you management? Like upper management? I had a supervisor tell me that if "I need to break the packages to get them out then do it." Our job is to get the packages out to where they need to be, in a tape box if needed, that's it.

You haven't worked the line before if you haven't had to stand or crawl across the belts to fix jams while they're moving.

Family

The company has the probationary period to decide if you can do the job. OP couldn't get the job done. What makes you think that in a year or so the OP would be an asset to the company?