Questions I Should Ask The Pension Rep About Retirement ?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
my appt with rep is in March so I would like to know what questions anybody asked or what questions you wish you asked ?

so far the only things I can think of is the time from when the papers are submitted til when you get your first check.

also I will ask how much would my pension increase if I put in another year.

I was just wondering about some smart questions to ask.

Thanks.

1heybuddy

my appt with rep is in March so I would like to know what questions anybody asked or what questions you wish you asked ?

so far the only things I can think of is the time from when the papers are submitted til when you get your first check.

also I will ask how much would my pension increase if I put in another year.

I was just wondering about some smart questions to ask.

Thanks.
I'am in the western conference and it takes approx 3 months to get your paperwork finished and to get your first check. If you already sent in your certified birth certificate and marrage license if you are married that will speed up the process. Each year you work 2080 including overtime will give you approx. $230 per month increase in you pension. If you dont work 2080 hours then every month you work will give you approx,$17.50 per month increase in your pension.When you meet with the pension rep. take the certfied copies of your birth certificate with you and your marriage license if married and that will speed up the process alot.

Last edited:

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I'am in the western conference and it takes approx 3 months to get your paperwork finished and to get your first check. If you already sent in your certified birth certificate and marrage license if you are married that will speed up the process. Each year you work 2080 including overtime will give you approx. $230 per month increase in you pension. If you dont work 2080 hours then every month you work will give you approx,$17.50 per month increase in your pension.When you meet with the pension rep. take the certfied copies of your birth certificate with you and your marriage license if married and that will speed up the process alot.
thank you very much. I just want to be prepared for this meeting by asking the right questions. your post helps me a lot.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
They told me 3 months as well. There was even a chance it would be a little longer since they pay you on the 1st of the month (at least where I am) and the HR person who handles all the paperwork here at my building took off work, and I didn't get it filled out till the 2nd or 3rd. For whatever reason, tho, it only took 2 months in my case before those checks started flowing.

upschuck

Is this just a western thing, or is this meeting everywhere? I've never heard of any soon to be retired people having a meeting. Just sent paperwork to Atlanta.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Is this just a western thing, or is this meeting everywhere? I've never heard of any soon to be retired people having a meeting. Just sent paperwork to Atlanta.

In Upstate NY we go to the Pension Fund office in Syracuse about a year or so ahead of our projected retirement date to start the process.

oldngray

nowhere special
I never heard of a pension rep either. In my center we were assigned a case worker in Atlanta who was almost impossible to contact and often gave inaccurate information. Almost nothing was done locally and when you did ask you could never get a clear answer since nobody understood what was going on.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Seems inconvenient for some, but if you want to retire, I guess you'd make the effort.

We have had more than one retiree who went there thinking they were going to retire on this date only to find out that, for whatever reason (dead days), they would have to work up to a year longer. For the most part the process is seamless.

I sent an inquiry e-mail and was surprised to learn that I will be eligible to retire 9 months earlier than I had thought. I plan on requesting annual updates just to make sure I am still on track.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I guess I was just lucky down here. You walked about 100 feet from the feeder offices to the GO (general office). Only drawback is only 1 lady handles all the paperwork, and if she isn't there for whatever reason, everybody else in there just shrugs their shoulders at you. The upside is she is very good at what she does, and since she's been here 30+ years, she knows how the cow eats the cabbage. She told me exactly what I needed to send in. I gave it to her, and she sent everything NDA to Atlanta. She gave me her cell # if I had any questions while filling out the multitudes of paperwork. It went a lot better than I had expected. She even called me after I retired to ask how it went and how I was doing.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
We have to sit in a local management tribunal first. They try and convince you to stay because of your wisdom. They like your slow pace, high pay and 7 weeks of vacation. If they allow you to leave, then it's time to get the ball rolling.

oldngray

nowhere special
We have to sit in a local management tribunal first. They try and convince you to stay because of your wisdom. They like your slow pace, high pay and 7 weeks of vacation. If they allow you to leave, then it's time to get the ball rolling.

I didn't even have to tell my center manager. He got the notice about my retirement from Atlanta. That was how UPS wanted to do it.

O/C

Just from experience, HR departments are trained to be dumbed downed or appear to be. Expect a lot of misinformation and no returned calls or e mails. Keep asking for annual estimates or better yet ask for a packet. Just do not sign them till you are ready.

Sent using BrownCafe App

rod

Retired 22 years
Damn---some of you sure get a lot of help come retirement time which is great. That's not the way it was around here. Everyone here is made to believe that they are the first ones to retire in the history of the company. No one (both the company and the Union) seems to know jack ---- about anything.

Xexys

Retired and Happy
When I retired,(Feb. 25th, 2011) I received my last paychecks from active duty and the next month in March, I received a letter stating that I would receive my first retirement check on April 1st which would include (separate check) March.

If you retire at the end of a month, which is most preferable for you, your retirement time will start the very next month.

And I agree with rod, I got NO help whatsoever. Make sure you hang onto your representative's phone number down in Atlanta when they call (courtesy call). Make sure you set up your insurance for them to deduct it straightaway from your monthly check.

Xexys

Retired and Happy
To the OP---I am surprised they didn't provide you with a checklist prior to the meeting.

That's a funny joke! They go out of their way to misinform, discourage and plain 'ole "forget" to tell you things. If you have kids in school (college), make sure you get that straightened out from the get-go. Rules that apply to active workers do not apply to inactive (retired) members.

Same with the health benefits. All kinds of paperwork needs to be done there. Make sure you're squared away in that department.

rod

Retired 22 years
That's a funny joke! They go out of their way to misinform, discourage and plain 'ole "forget" to tell you things. If you have kids in school (college), make sure you get that straightened out from the get-go. Rules that apply to active workers do not apply to inactive (retired) members.

Same with the health benefits. All kinds of paperwork needs to be done there. Make sure you're squared away in that department.

and don't even begin to think you can hide your pension from your ex:-)