quick healthy lunches

P

proups

Who has time for lunch???

shocked.gif

S

speeddemon

If you guys dont stop for lunch, your cheating yourself. Thats what UPS wants you to do. As long as some of you have been with UPS, Im surprised that you skip your lunch for them.

S

speeddemon

Dont be ignorant, your more intelligent than that. Lunch is to be taken between the 3 and fifth hours of work. I see so many young drivers running like hell through thier lunch to make commits on a route that has way too much on it. Then sooner or later they end up hurt and asking themselves why they ever did that. Sit down, take your hour, and let UPS get the damn dispatch right. Thats exactly what I am saying. Nothing more, nothing less.

I

ironylife

great post speed. Some of our "elder" drivers get more abused than the younger ones. Why skip your lunch...everyone gets one. And people want to whine why their center isnt hiring any drivers....well, its drivers who are skipping their lunches, fault.

P

proups

Speed/Irony: look at it from another angle vs. saying I am ignorant....and by the way, with 26 years at UPS, I'm no young driver by any means, and I haven't been hurt either.

Who wants to spend that time sitting in a truck or at a restaraunt by themselves when they could be at home with their family earlier in the day?

I know all about the third and fifth hour lunch, but if one makes a personal choice not to take it, will UPS file a grievance on them?

It has nothing to do with dispatch either....and you called me ignorant.

(Message edited by proups on May 06, 2005)

S

speeddemon

You can be fired for not taking your lunch. Its in the contract or supplemental. Cant remember which one. You choose to let yourself be open to that, go right ahead.

I

ironylife

pro..I didnt call you anything and am sorry you thought that. But everyone who wants a lunch should be able to get one. If you dont like taking one fine, but I hope you at least take your breaks.

I

ironylife

before I got my own route I use to cover a drivers route that has been a driver for 20 plus years and had the biggest ball buster route in the center. The center mgt knew it was "using" this employee, but didnt care. When I ran the route there was NEVER time for lunch or breaks and it made me so mad. I felt sorry for this driver but also wanted to tell him to pull his head out and cut down on the volume of work. This route was next to the bldg and a couple times I remember bulking out his 1000 during pickups and driving back to bldg and getting a second car to fill 3/4 full....this was bullsh7t

P

proups

Fired for not taking your lunch? I've never seen that happen, but would be interested to hear stories.

Anybody got an example?

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
We get an hour for lunch, but aren't required to take the whole hour at one time. I take 20 minutes around noon. I pack a couple sandwiches (usually turkey and cheese or PBJ) a banana, I love those apple slices they sell at the grocery store. Usually I throw in some pretzel sticks and a yogurt. Wash it all down with water or gatorade. When I finish my route around 5 I stop by the house for dinner and to watch Sportcenter. Then I pick up my 6pm letter boxes. Do it like this and they'll call you the longlunchguy.

JustTired

free at last.......
When I finish my route around 5 I stop by the house for dinner and to watch Sportcenter. Then I pick up my 6pm letter boxes. Do it like this and they'll call you the longlunchguy.

Better watch out for GPS............I'm just saying.................

I always find it humorous when somebody says that certain routes don't give you time to take a lunch.

No route gives you time to take lunch. You give yourself the time to take lunch. It's as easy as turning off the ignition and walking into the restaraunt (or breaking open the lunch pail, if you prefer). If you don't get everything delivered...that's their problem, not yours. You, by contract, are allowed a lunch for the length of time and between whatever hours the contract states. They can't write you up or fire you for that.

I can't believe that the lunch topic comes up so often. Those that continue to skip their lunch get what they deserve. And I'm guessing that would be more work, not to mention possible health problems down the road.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
No route gives you time to take lunch. You give yourself the time to take lunch. It's as easy as turning off the ignition and walking into the restaraunt (or breaking open the lunch pail, if you prefer). If you don't get everything delivered...that's their problem, not yours.
JT- Applauds and accolades. THe only way you are going to have time to take lunch is to just take it. When is everyone going to figure this out. If drivers don't stand up for their lunches and have some misses, nothing will ever change. The same apply's to breaks as well. Many drivers skip their breaks because they want to get home earlier.I understand the why, I just don't agree with it.

disneyworld

Double whopper, super sized fried... yeah thats the ticket... ;)

But seriously... plenty of water,(yeah its part of your lunch) a mix of fruit, you can get them with pop top cans now.(or one fruit you enjoy)

A nice turkey or ham and cheese wrap..
lay off the mirical whip or mayo..

I better go buy a bigger cooler.. off to camp ups on monday!
I'm sorry-did you just say that's the ticket??????????

disneyworld

Better watch out for GPS............I'm just saying.................

I always find it humorous when somebody says that certain routes don't give you time to take a lunch.

No route gives you time to take lunch. You give yourself the time to take lunch. It's as easy as turning off the ignition and walking into the restaraunt (or breaking open the lunch pail, if you prefer). If you don't get everything delivered...that's their problem, not yours. You, by contract, are allowed a lunch for the length of time and between whatever hours the contract states. They can't write you up or fire you for that.

I can't believe that the lunch topic comes up so often. Those that continue to skip their lunch get what they deserve. And I'm guessing that would be more work, not to mention possible health problems down the road.
Not to mention throwing away $42