Quick question about cover driver pay.

Bucko55

Hi guys,

I am a part time preloader but, I have been working as a cover driver since October of last year. Last week I requested and received an option day. It was paid at my inside building rate and only paid for my part time hours. However when I am scheduled as a cover driver holidays have been paid for 8 hrs and at the cover pay rate.
Is it standard that vacation and sick pay be at my inside rate of pay??

Bucko55

One other quick thing. I am now forced to choose my vacation with the full time drivers which puts me at the bottom of the seniority list. Not sure if that matters though....

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

One other quick thing. I am now forced to choose my vacation with the full time drivers which puts me at the bottom of the seniority list. Not sure if that matters though....

Think about it for a second.....would it be fair to a driver with more seniority than you having to wait until you choose your vacations based on your PT seniority?

Bucko55

Think about it for a second.....would it be fair to a driver with more seniority than you having to wait until you choose your vacations based on your PT seniority?

I totally get that the full time drivers get to select vacation first. They have earned it with their time with the company. I was simply saying that since I am forced to choose vacation as a driver, then shouldn't I be paid my vacation as driver??

If you are still a preloader yiu should be picking your vacation of that senority list. Call your ba. You have many many years to get screwed out of your summer vacations. It doesn't start now.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I totally get that the full time drivers get to select vacation first. They have earned it with their time with the company. I was simply saying that since I am forced to choose vacation as a driver, then shouldn't I be paid my vacation as driver??

Why wouldn't you be paid your vacation as a driver?

Cementups

Box Monkey
You wil ge paid as a driver for your vacations since you are picking as a driver.
But your sick days you are taking now were earned when you were an inside employe so that is how you will be paid off on those.

Work right slow and safe

I am a cover driver also and per the union hand book sick days, funeral and jury duty should be paid as a cover driver only if u were to work on the day you called in sick. Fhp, opw days are up in the air and each local is different check with your ba on that. A few years we were paid driver pay and some years not and per my center management he states show me in your little book how u should b paid o thats right it dont say I guess u get hub pay then.i am out of cali

Sent using BrownCafe App

DamageCallTag

If you made 156 reports as a cover driver last yr then you will get cover pay for a 40hr vacation and or cover pay at 8hr sick day. If you didn't make 156 reports and a cover then you will get insider rate and insider hours for vacations/sick days. Just bc you picked with the drivers doesnt mean you bet paid like them. And to get paid 8hr on a holiday you have to serve the whole week or you get screwed on that to. At least that's how it is in TN!

Work right slow and safe

In cali if u work just one day in a week a holiday falls on u get paid driver pay. For our vacation pay it 1/52 of what you made the year before for any job/ pt full time. For picking vacation its full timers first then cover driver since cover drivers are part time. I have been a cover driver for over 6 years and they can pull any driver off the street for the 1 of 6 and make him full time and he will pick before me. I think its bs but that's how it is.

Sent using BrownCafe App