Quit Yesterday

Dear Diary

UPS PC Slave
Walked into the center in the morning with 240 stops on my rural route. There will obviously be missed after 12 hours of delivering along with everyone else in the center. Problem started when we were all told that nothing could be left in the center. Every package including those that won't be delivered need to go with us on the truck. I will skip the rest here, but there was a lot of yelling going back and forth between drivers, supervisors and the center manager. Eventually they settled with fitting as many packages as possible and they will come around and make sure there's no room to fit in more.

So how bad was it? I pulled my first 10 stops out and left the center with them in the cab because I couldn't walk into the back. I brought 2 air containers with me to hold small packages in the cab. I continued like that for 38 stops. In that time I couldn't open the sliding door 4 times due to boxes piling up against it. I had to go to the back, pull boxes onto the road and then climb on my stomach to clear boxes from the sliding door several times. I finally had enough when I twisted my ankle trying to get over a box.

This company sets you up to fail. They'd rather have numbers that show everyone left the center early and that they kept the center clean of packages... even though it will lower everyone's stops per hour to the ground from not being able to grab and sort the back of the truck.

After 47 stops I decided I had enough. Called in a vehicle breakdown to waste time and got towed back an hour later. Center manager says they got a van ready for me to deliver in, so start moving the packages from the truck, which the mechanic will look at later. Told him I'm taking a lunch break right then, he goes ballistic. I sit there and eat while he yells threats. Of course I don't care because I'm already quitting. I punch out after my lunch break, walk by his office and tell him all the packages are loaded and ready for him to deliver. Then I walked out.

Another package runner bites the dust for UPS, hope whoever gets my route can handle the stops per hour. I expect a lot of call ins or maybe even more people quitting on monday, because whatever happened with me happened to everyone else as well.

Before anyone asks, I have another job lined up that I'm exciting about even though it pays less. Wish you guys success with this job.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
So how bad was it? I pulled my first 10 stops out and left the center with them in the cab because I couldn't walk into the back. I brought 2 air containers with me to hold small packages in the cab. I continued like that for 38 stops. In that time I couldn't open the sliding door 4 times due to boxes piling up against it. I had to go to the back, pull boxes onto the road and then climb on my stomach to clear boxes from the sliding door several times. I finally had enough when I twisted my ankle trying to get over a box.
Bruh, you're giving me PTSD with this sh*.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Walked into the center in the morning with 240 stops on my rural route. There will obviously be missed after 12 hours of delivering along with everyone else in the center. Problem started when we were all told that nothing could be left in the center. Every package including those that won't be delivered need to go with us on the truck. I will skip the rest here, but there was a lot of yelling going back and forth between drivers, supervisors and the center manager. Eventually they settled with fitting as many packages as possible and they will come around and make sure there's no room to fit in more.

This company sets you up to fail. They'd rather have numbers that show everyone left the center early and that they kept the center clean of packages... even though it will lower everyone's stops per hour to the ground from not being able to grab and sort the back of the truck.

After 47 stops I decided I had enough. Called in a vehicle breakdown to waste time and got towed back an hour later. Center manager says they got a van ready for me to deliver in, so start moving the packages from the truck, which the mechanic will look at later. Told him I'm taking a lunch break right then, he goes ballistic. I sit there and eat while he yells threats. Of course I don't care because I'm already quitting. I punch out after my lunch break, walk by his office and tell him all the packages are loaded and ready for him to deliver. Then I walked out.

Another package runner bites the dust for UPS, hope whoever gets my route can handle the stops per hour. I expect a lot of call ins or maybe even more people quitting on monday, because whatever happened with me happened to everyone else as well.

Before anyone asks, I have another job lined up that I'm exciting about even though it pays less. Wish you guys success with this job.
Bravo man. I applaud you.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.

I can’t even imagine a rural route with 240 stops. That’s nonsense. Bravo to you sir, and good luck.

TSB

Yeah, I'm a road hog
Just curious where you are located. Or, were located. Best of luck in your new endeavors.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I would have taken more joy in bringing back 150 stops at the end of the day. If they did that on my route, I would have actually taken joy in messaging the center after my first pick up and telling them I had no more room, and they'd have to take care of the rest of the pick ups. And that I had to drive back to the center to unload my pick up volume just to be able to keep delivering. You can only do what you can do.

Good luck on your next job. Hope they realize you are a human who actually has a personal life.

JL 0513

How many years driving? Can't imagine just walking away once you're too rate. If you can live fine on a lot less then congrats.

WeAreAllGoingToMakeIt

I would have taken more joy in bringing back 150 stops at the end of the day. If they did that on my route, I would have actually taken joy in messaging the center after my first pick up and telling them I had no more room, and they'd have to take care of the rest of the pick ups. And that I had to drive back to the center to unload my pick up volume just to be able to keep delivering. You can only do what you can do.

Good luck on your next job. Hope they realize you are a human who actually has a personal life.

But what if the Center Manager wants to get rid of you and decides to dump on you with more packages than you can handle every single day?

Can you be fired for messaging every single day that you won't be able to make your pick ups, or that you are returning to the building to dump the pick up pieces?

Dear Diary

UPS PC Slave
This job is 80% a mental battle. Some people just don’t have it. Hope you find something you can handle.

What did I say involved a mental battle? Unable to open the sliding door, having to open the back door slowly to prevent as few packages as possible falling on me. Having to pull packages out and climbing to the sliding door on my stomach, getting hurt in the process. I guess I'm mentally weak.

The stress I had everyday is nothing like stop count or 12 hour days. It's was the truck filled to the brim with packages and driving up and down long bumpy driveways causing everything in the back to shuffle.

If management had any ounce of intelligence they would let people leave with 12 hours of work and leave the rest in the center.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
But what if the Center Manager wants to get rid of you and decides to dump on you with more packages than you can handle every single day?

Can you be fired for messaging every single day that you won't be able to make your pick ups, or that you are returning to the building to dump the pick up pieces?

I message in so they can try to come up with a different plan. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. One way or another, I have to be able to get to my delivery volume. It's better to drive it back and unload than unload and reload a bunch of pick up volume at every stop. But my route isn't super far from the center.

If you want to push back on over-dispatching, you gotta take your breaks and full lunch when you are supposed to, and follow the methods. I can't bring myself to follow orion, but that's another option. It took me 4 years of dealing with brutal dispatches, late nights, covered pick ups/dropping volume, and constant tendon pain in one joint or another. Finally, my dispatches have become more manageable on a more regular basis.

Last edited:

WeAreAllGoingToMakeIt

I message in so they can try to come up with a different plan. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. One way or another, I have to be able to get to my delivery volume. It's better to drive it back and unload than unload and reload a bunch of pick up volume at every stop. But my route isn't super far from the center.

If you want to push back on over-dispatching, you gotta take your breaks and full lunch when you are supposed to, and follow the methods. I can't bring myself to follow orion, but that's another option. It took me 4 years of dealing with brutal dispatches, late nights, covered pick ups/dropping volume, and constant tendon pain in one joint or another. Finally, my dispatches have become more manageable on a more regular basis.

Good on you bud

WeAreAllGoingToMakeIt

Best of luck to you.

ManInBrown

Two peaks before I left for feeders they send a shuttle out at peak at around 7. Some safety supervisor tries to dump 200 pieces on me. Irregular, the whole 9 yards. A total cluster you know what. I still had 175 left. After lots of cursing and are you friend’n kidding me. Nope you have to take it. Took the work. Completely clogged the back up even worse than it already was. Dropped anchor and probably did 10 stops the last 3 hours. This company is so stupid when it comes to stuff like this. They figure bring it out, cause stress. Maybe the driver will work mad and get the work done. Nope sorry that’s not reality.

wht1zzfe

What is the point of completely bricking out the cars the way they do? Turn 5 seconds to get a package into 5 minutes. I couldn't walk through the back until 3pm the other day.