Raise??

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Payscale Starting Top-out. This is for a regular courier.
L 19.03 28.07
J 17.80 26.99
H 17.22 26.08
friend 16.66 25.25 me
E 16.08 24.38
A 15.53 23.59
B 14.46 22.57

vantexan

I'm sorry if this has been explained before, but why are there so many different pay scales for the same job?

There were originally 4 payscales and over time the lowest 2 of those 4 were discontinued while higher paying payscales were added. FedEx has a philosophy of paying the minimum amount possible that will still attract workers. Thus in extremely expensive regions of the country where everyone has to be paid more they pay more. In cheaper areas of the country they tend to pay the lowest 2 payscales. Which one they pay depends on how competitive the local market is for workers. There are glaring exceptions. In expensive popular small cities in the Southwest and Rockies they tend to pay the lower payscales because there are people in those areas who'd gladly take anything just to live there. And FedEx no longer eliminates lower paying payscales as they've discovered that they can save money by just raising starting pay rather than move everyone on that payscale up to the next one. Thus you have people working 5 years who barely make more than newhires. And on the lowest payscale you have people like me making only $18hr or so after 14 years.

vantexan

Thank you for enlightening me=) How do raises work then? Are they different for every payscale also?

I described the new pay system earlier in the thread. Problem is FedEx may try this for a few years and then decide to just give everyone 2% raises or no raise at all. We went through that for 4 years before this new system started last year and in the 90's we went through over 4 years of no raises for topped out couriers and back then pay was considerably less than now. It was the reason I quit, and have been paying for that decision ever since. I'd have gone into truck driving instead of getting rehired if I had known what they were planning for us.

SmithBarney

I certainly hope so because my 401 has already taken 3% more out of my weekly checks. Up to 10% now. Yikes...

You can change this deduction at anytime. ;) I go from 3-6% during peak, then back to 3% when I make my substandard wage. If I were topped like you goldi, then 10%+ would go in.

vantexan

Yeah,
3 yrs. of driving. what about the ~3 yrs. you start out in the warehouse humpin' frt.?
What about the fact that if you have less than ~6 yrs. of driving that you're the first person "on stand-by"?

So they pay their dues and get greatly rewarded. As opposed to paying your dues, and paying your dues, and paying your dues, and paying your dues, and paying your dues, and paying your dues, and paying your dues, and paying your dues, and paying your dues, and paying your dues, and paying your dues, and paying.........................................................................................................................

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I described the new pay system earlier in the thread. Problem is FedEx may try this for a few years and then decide to just give everyone 2% raises or no raise at all. We went through that for 4 years before this new system started last year and in the 90's we went through over 4 years of no raises for topped out couriers and back then pay was considerably less than now. It was the reason I quit, and have been paying for that decision ever since. I'd have gone into truck driving instead of getting rehired if I had known what they were planning for us.

The pay "raises" are a joke anyway, because whatever we gain is more than taken away by higher insurance rates and worse coverage.

overflowed

The pay "raises" are a joke anyway, because whatever we gain is more than taken away by higher insurance rates and worse coverage.

Ups is talkin about strike just for thinking about messing with their medical. More power to them. Wish we could do that.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Ups is talkin about strike just for thinking about messing with their medical. More power to them. Wish we could do that.

We have been really stupid for a really long time, and we've been paying the price all the while. Now, Fred has dooubled-down, and there's not much we can do but be lousy employees in return for the crap sandwich we're being served.

I figure I cost Fred at least $1,000 per week in potential lost revenue by ignoring new shippers, slowing-down and not helping out, and standing by and watching managers do really stupid things. My goal is $1,500 per week.