Raise??

Slave101

Are we getting a raise this year? I haven't seen a handout or any chart that usually comes out around this time. If its b*s* cents I know of 3 guys that said they would walk right out the door, or take truck out get breakfast and come back with all the freight!

vantexan

They started a new raise system last year that kicks in the Friday after the first full week in March. Details should be posted in your station. If your current pay is less than the midway point in your pay range you get 3%. If you are above the midway point in the 3rd quartile you get 5%. If you are above the 3/4 point of the pay range you are in the 4th quartile and get 6% but can't go over the top of range.

Problem for those of us in lower half of pay range is if they raise starting pay or top of the range or both the midway point goes up too. Someone starting out today could still take many years just to catch the midway point if it keeps going up. They'll pretty much have to raise starting pay once in awhile to attract new workers and if they don't raise top-out they'll have those guys screaming too. So once again a bunch of window dressing to make it look like they're doing something positive but very little has changed for mid-range employees. If they were sincere about topping us out we'd be back to system that gave us up to 7% raises instead of this 3%.

vantexan

What's midway point?

The middle of the pay range. For example if starting pay is $16 and top pay is $24 then the midway point is $20. If you are making $18hr then your raise is 3% which is 54 cents. If you are making $21hr then your raise is 5% or $1.05. Makes quite a difference.

Using the above example if they raise starting pay 3% it goes to $16.48. If they raise top-out 3% it goes to $24.72. The midway point is now $20.60. So the guy getting a 54 cent raise is now further behind the midway point than he was. How fast he catches the midway point depends on whether they keep pay range the same, or raise starting or top-out, or worst case raise both and move the midway point up substantially.

The above is just an example. Actual numbers will depend on what payscale you are on.

Last edited:

Goldilocks

The middle of the pay range. For example if starting pay is $16 and top pay is $24 then the midway point is $20. If you are making $18hr then your raise is 3% which is 54 cents. If you are making $21hr then your raise is 5% or $1.05. Makes quite a difference.

I wish this would change and that middle range employees would be topped out in 18 to 24 months like we did. Just does not seem fair at all......

vantexan

What is top pay in NYC now

You can check that in Prism, get a mgr to show you how, or call HR. Don't know what current top out is there but guessing you are over $26hr, maybe $27hr. New York is on the J payscale, the 2nd highest. The L payscale, the highest, is only paid in the San Francisco-Silicon Valley area.

Glorifiedpackmule

Yeah. Started out there as a package handler then started driving when I turned 21. Should of stayed but had to move. No transfers. Came over to Express because the starting pay wasn't too bad. Low and behold 8 years later I'm less than a buck ahead of starting pay. But hey... FedEx is better than UPS right?? lol.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Yeah. Started out there as a package handler then started driving when I turned 21. Should of stayed but had to move. No transfers. Came over to Express because the starting pay wasn't too bad. Low and behold 8 years later I'm less than a buck ahead of starting pay. But hey... FedEx is better than UPS right?? lol.

You believed the hype and drank some of the purple Kool-Aid didn't you? Poor thing.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
You believed the hype and drank some of the purple Kool-Aid didn't you? Poor thing.
unfortunately way too many of us did exactly the same thing. "Unions won't do a damn thing for ya but take your money" I can still hear those words ringing in my ears as though it was yesterday. (sigh)

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
It's gotten so pathetic now that whenever you back them into a corner with a comparison of the benefits of working at FedEx vs. UPS the only thing they can come up with is "well...um... yes, but do you really want to wear brown 5 days a week?"

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
It's gotten so pathetic now that whenever you back them into a corner with a comparison of the benefits of working at FedEx vs. UPS the only thing they can come up with is "well...um... yes, but do you really want to wear brown 5 days a week?"

I would wear purple with pink polka dots at this point if I could make what UPS makes....