ralph nader on expectations, the american dream, corporate welfare

rickyb

maybe they mad about the 6 trillion in corporate welfare dolled out recently:

upload_2020-5-29_22-25-24.png

rickyb

max keiser has been calling for a GIABO (global insurrection against bankster occupation) for sometime now. hopefully these protests make the connection between racism, capitalism:
upload_2020-6-4_13-14-35.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-6-4_13-14-15.png
    upload_2020-6-4_13-14-15.png
    248 KB · Views: 102

rickyb

@zubenelgenubi what do you think about the moral argument that if theres not enough jobs, the people who should be applying for the jobs are the ones who need it most since welfare doesnt cover 100% of income?

i was also thinking the poor should be the ones in a crisis who get paid to do school so they learn skills to be less poor.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
@zubenelgenubi what do you think about the moral argument that if theres not enough jobs, the people who should be applying for the jobs are the ones who need it most since welfare doesnt cover 100% of income?

i was also thinking the poor should be the ones in a crisis who get paid to do school so they learn skills to be less poor.

If there's not enough jobs, the government needs to ease up on regulations that make it harder to start a business. The people who get a job should be the ones best suited for the specific job out of all the applicants. Would you hire an unqualified applicant to work for you just 'cause they need the job real bad? That's a terrible way to run a business.

In my state, they do paid retraining for major industry disruptions, and they started allowing people to claim unemployment while going to school. That's all fine and good, until there's no more money to cover it. In all of the US school is tuition free (ie paid for by taxes rather than directly by the families with kids in school) K -12. If a person can't learn to develop basic skills to enter the workforce in that period of time, why should we continue to pay to put them through more school?

Let's say we do make college tuition free. A degree already doesn't get you much in the way of job prospects, how much worse will it be when everyone has a degree? Then we'll be talking about tuition free masters degrees, then tuition free PhDs and med and law degrees.

There are already trade programs where companies will pay to put you through trade school while you also learn and earn on the job. So, there isn't an excuse for someone who is poor and doesn't want to be anymore, assuming they have even minimal competence. I'm not sure, but I believe that these programs are done without any interference or help from the government. People in free markets can find solutions to problems.

At what point do people take responsibility for making their own lives better? Dependence on the government only breeds more dependence on the government. It's like a butterfly emerging from a cocoon, it has to struggle to break free on Its own. If someone "helps" it by cutting the cocoon open, the butterfly never develops the strength to fly.

rickyb

If there's not enough jobs, the government needs to ease up on regulations that make it harder to start a business. The people who get a job should be the ones best suited for the specific job out of all the applicants. Would you hire an unqualified applicant to work for you just 'cause they need the job real bad? That's a terrible way to run a business.

In my state, they do paid retraining for major industry disruptions, and they started allowing people to claim unemployment while going to school. That's all fine and good, until there's no more money to cover it. In all of the US school is tuition free (ie paid for by taxes rather than directly by the families with kids in school) K -12. If a person can't learn to develop basic skills to enter the workforce in that period of time, why should we continue to pay to put them through more school?

Let's say we do make college tuition free. A degree already doesn't get you much in the way of job prospects, how much worse will it be when everyone has a degree? Then we'll be talking about tuition free masters degrees, then tuition free PhDs and med and law degrees.

There are already trade programs where companies will pay to put you through trade school while you also learn and earn on the job. So, there isn't an excuse for someone who is poor and doesn't want to be anymore, assuming they have even minimal competence. I'm not sure, but I believe that these programs are done without any interference or help from the government. People in free markets can find solutions to problems.

At what point do people take responsibility for making their own lives better? Dependence on the government only breeds more dependence on the government. It's like a butterfly emerging from a cocoon, it has to struggle to break free on Its own. If someone "helps" it by cutting the cocoon open, the butterfly never develops the strength to fly.
i dont think you should cut back on laws to encourage hiring. some laws are good.

but you made a good point. i was thinking in terms of people with no skills applying for jobs, the ones who need to work 40 hours a week should be prioritized. in that case theres good argument to encourage welfare for those that dont need the 40 hours of pay.

theres other things govt can do to create jobs, like encourage unions, do federal hiring programs (for infrastructure, clean up, etc. they could also shorten the work week and that will create more jobs.

im pretty sure a 4 year degree substantially boosts income.

i think the govt will run out of money because of empire and because of trillions in bailouts especially to finance.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
i dont think you should cut back on laws to encourage hiring. some laws are good.

but you made a good point. i was thinking in terms of people with no skills applying for jobs, the ones who need to work 40 hours a week should be prioritized. in that case theres good argument to encourage welfare for those that dont need the 40 hours of pay.

theres other things govt can do to create jobs, like encourage unions, do federal hiring programs (for infrastructure, clean up, etc. they could also shorten the work week and that will create more jobs.

im pretty sure a 4 year degree substantially boosts income.

i think the govt will run out of money because of empire and because of trillions in bailouts especially to finance.

I don't disagree with everything you wrote. People with degrees do make more on average than those without, but again, if the labor market is glutted with degree holders, then the advantage diminishes. And on an individual level, a degree is not a guarantee of much of anything.

Regulations can help protect workers, but they also have the added pitfall of creating the exact business environment you seem to hate. In fact, large corporations encourage more regulations in order to prevent smaller businesses from competing with them. Just like cartels use the DEA to wipe out their competition.

Welfare should not ever be encouraged, it should be a last resort. Federal jobs are ok for what they are worth, but you need a healthy tax base to support them. I like the idea of encouraging unions, and making it easier for workers to hold companies and unions accountable. I'm also not opposed to shorter work weeks, or more flexible scheduling options. It might help with creating jobs, but would certainly be good for workers.

And I agree that bailouts and endless wars are bad.

rickyb

food banks are inefficient. people have to travel all the way to the bank and wait around instead of just going to the grocery store with welfare money. if the food bank doesnt give enough food, then the poor will spend time getting more food instead of job hunting:

1592085302955.png

food banks are inefficient. people have to travel all the way to the bank and wait around instead of just going to the grocery store with welfare money. if the food bank doesnt give enough food, then the poor will spend time getting more food instead of job hunting:

View attachment 299391
you should buy hertz stock and donate your profits to the poor.