rather drive a feeder

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Peak is handled stupidly every year. They did the same thing here. I told 'em I had to much business and I would have misses. They didn't believe me until I started having misses. Then he blamed me because I did a local area resi before I went to the next town over. I told him if he had done what I asked last week the misses wouldn't have happened. Last night I took great delight in telling him I wouldn't be done until 1030/1130.

Next year Christmas will sneak up on them anyway. It doesn't matter, we can keep reminding them months ahead. They don't even hear the Christmas music playing. LOL

The other morning I was in a casual exchange with our DM, you know the usual, "Good Morning, how are you?" crap dialog. ( I call it crap dialog because neither of us really care how the other is)...anyway. He mentioned that there were just a few days of peak left and then on the 5th they will start planning next years peak season. What I said next even surprised me....lol
I said , "Good but I sure hope whoever planned THIS peak season is left out next years planning, cuz THIS YEAR'S PLAN SUCKS!!!!" then I flushed the uninal .......Only then did it hit me that he was the head honcho planning this year. Oh well they haven't fired me ................yet.

Last edited:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Trpl, I wouldn't worry about it, he probably didn't even hear ya! To busy shaking his thingie and patting himself on the back for a job well done. LOL

browndevil

Trpl, I wouldn't worry about it, he probably didn't even hear ya! To busy shaking his thingie and patting himself on the back for a job well done. LOL
Damn it Dill now I have to get up and clean my computer screen LMAO BTW nice new avatar kinda looks like from the Lil Comet collection

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Damn it Dill now I have to get up and clean my computer screen LMAO BTW nice new avatar kinda looks like from the Lil Comet collection
MY turn!!!!!!!!!!! (for cleaning) There are a bunch of new avatars that I hadn't seen before. Haven't looked at them in a long time. I like this one but I asked Cheryl if I could have a purple one instead. I really liked Comets but didn't want to duplicate.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
orangputeh;451460 said:
feeder drivers have to work strange hrs, have higher divorce rate. our dept has 70 % divorce so wives make out like bandits. higher stress and blood pressure. life expectancy is about three years less because of night hrs.

however, less wear and tear on body.
I disagree with all of this. You have fallen for the myth that a night worker doesn't get to spend time with the family but the truth is the guy who works at night sees his family more. Your'e working when your family is sleeping. You get home to see your wife and kids off to where it is they are heading and you go to sleep. You get up in the afternoon when everyone is now coming home from where and what they had to do. Now you have a solid 6 or maybe 7 hours to be with them before you go to work. You work a day job driving a package car you wont have that kind of time with your family when you get home at 6 or 7 at night. I NEVER did. My building has no shortage of feeder drivers that want the night jobs. At the same time no one wants the day jobs. I went to feeders to work nights. I have 10 years left till I retire in my early fifties. I will never work days again if I have it my way.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
Also another nice thing about rolling at night is the amount of stuff you can get done around the house during the week because you are home during the day. Also can schedule medical appointments around your work schedule so you don't have to burn a personal day to go to the doctors. I hardly ever take days off. Flipping your schedule upside down from what you are used to takes a little time to become accustomed to it but once you do there's no going back to the old way.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
Some spouses just cannot deal with being alone every night. I am lucky in that though my wife was resistant at first, she now has no problems with me working nights.

I agree that is is a myth you don't see your family working nights. I see my family just as much if not more.

It was hard as hell to get used to nights, I think it took me over a year. But I will always bid nights until just the right day hours become available. That will probably happen a week before I retire :happy-very:.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
In order to shake it, you gotta find it. Shake it more than twice, then you're playing with it!:surprised:

Maybe he keeps a magnifying glass in his pocket. Come on BIG, were talking UPS mgt here. I'm sure he's an over-achiever. He shakes a dozen times just to make sure it's done correctly!

If I could get a day run in the feeder dept, I would go today. Well, Monday. WE have one run that starts around 4 pm and is a 10-10.5 hr day. All the rest are 9.5 shifts starting when the evening sort is done. I like sleeping WITH my wife not in alternate shifts.

gandydancer

Some spouses just cannot deal with being alone every night. I am lucky in that though my wife was resistant at first, she now has no problems with me working nights...

Now that she's found a pd to work the night shift...

Just kidding.

I couldn't have gone ft inside (Twi-Night) until I got divorced. Piling into the second bedroom a few hours before the wife got up, leaving for work before she got back, sleeping through most of her waking weekend... Well, I ended up divorced anyway and then a few years later ended up going through the described routine anyway in a less-demanding relationship with her. But it's no way to be married.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Now that she's found a pd to work the night shift...

Just kidding.

I couldn't have gone ft inside (Twi-Night) until I got divorced. Piling into the second bedroom a few hours before the wife got up, leaving for work before she got back, sleeping through most of her waking weekend... Well, I ended up divorced anyway and then a few years later ended up going through the described routine anyway in a less-demanding relationship with her. But it's no way to be married.
It takes a special reationship to be able to handle the odd hrs of a feeder driver. I am fortunate that if I ever do get the chance, I have someone that has worked these hrs for a very long time. I understand his hrs because I have worked them before.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
A pd? I think I know what kind of joke your making but maybe I am wrong.

I would say newlyweds with no children would especially have a hard time with a spouse's feeder hours. But being married 17 years with two children, we are secure in our relationship enough to deal with it. And on the plus side, when we are together I am in a much better mood than the black cloud that hung over me when I was in package.

gandydancer

P(ackage Car) D(river). Or anyone with a day shift.

My point, tho, was that there was another version of "night" hours. Mine was 5:15p - ~3:30a for the longest time, and it's hard to have a relationship with someone you hardly ever see, no matter how tolerant, trusting and adult the parties involved are.

Nockahate9,

I did not go the part time route and work my way up like one driver said if you are in a big hub they would hire you off the street,or better yet go to some cdl school and if you are just part time get with another company and be safe for about three years and they probably will hire you.They hired me off the street to drive for them but I have experience I've driven for Consolidated Freightways,my father owns his own rigs I learned how to drive by hanging with him on his runs and learned the business of tarping steel and pulling reefers.because if you wait for them you could be waiting 20 to 30 yrs to drive for UPS also try UPS freight.......Good Luck.