Ready to Strike?

qdg2

Let's say a 3 week no paycheck scenario.....or benefits....

What's in that new contract to make up the lost wages and benefits to strike start? How long would it take to get there?

The 97 strike set my region back years. Personally, taking 5 years to gain feeder seniority. Things like that.

And of course helping Fed-Ex to establish ground......and losing volume we have not regained to this day.

And Central States PF still went to UPS.....(in effect)....a good thing.

While I walked the line in 97.....I did not vote for it.....as I will not vote to strike this time. There must be a better way and there is from both sides. Having hot-headed(and ignorant) fools on both sides....often leads to disaster.....no matter the subject.

Having experienced 97......I don't think we can be replaced instantly. Feeder contractors can easily replace that section. It could be ugly initially but doable eventually. It's happening now. It would take months or years to replace the pkg drivers.....with all that volume piling up. This was realized in 97. Considering it takes about 30 days to train each driver to UPS's productivity rate.But at Amazon level.....quite doable.
Load/unload? Any physically able person can do this......visualizing temps by the hundreds....Preload/pkg cars? Well, we all know it's been lowered about as far as possible.
For those holding your breath for A/C.....cameras......PVD's....22.4's all things already here and up and running......going away?

Now, there are several scenario's........UPS closes the doors and re-emerges in some way......with or without the Union...

It all get's settled beforehand and we go on.

Personally my vacation will start Aug 1 and my papers(retirement) are for Nov. 1. Hopefully this pays me for a strike and I will retire with more money per month. I'd rather spread my vacation around a little more...missing August would be a treat though...

Swanson

Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game.

What's in that new contract to make up the lost wages and benefits to strike start? How long would it take to get there?

The 97 strike set my region back years. Personally, taking 5 years to gain feeder seniority. Things like that.

And of course helping Fed-Ex to establish ground......and losing volume we have not regained to this day.

While I walked the line in 97.....I did not vote for it.....as I will not vote to strike this time. There must be a better way and there is from both sides. Having hot-headed(and ignorant) fools on both sides....often leads to disaster.....no matter the subject.

Having experienced 97......I don't think we can be replaced instantly. Feeder contractors can easily replace that section. It could be ugly initially but doable eventually. It's happening now. It would take months or years to replace the pkg drivers.....with all that volume piling up. This was realized in 97. Considering it takes about 30 days to train each driver to UPS's productivity rate.But at Amazon level.....quite doable.
Load/unload? Any physically able person can do this......visualizing temps by the hundreds....Preload/pkg cars? Well, we all know it's been lowered about as far as possible.
For those holding your breath for A/C.....cameras......PVD's....22.4's all things already here and up and running......going away?

Now, there are several scenario's........UPS closes the doors and re-emerges in some way......with or without the Union...

Personally my vacation will start Aug 1 and my papers(retirement) are for Nov. 1. Hopefully this pays me for a strike and I will retire with more money per month. I'd rather spread my vacation around a little more...missing August would be a treat though...
man up united we stand or divided we fall !!

Thebrownblob

Good luck Quad!

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Last paragraph of that article is a quote from Carol Tome it says this; “Our goal with the Teamsters is win-win-win,” she told investors in July. But she added that UPS is “building contingency plans.”

Anyone have ideas on what those contingency plans are? Because she declined to comment when asked.

Well she does have her (Drones)....

Integrity

Binge Poster
It won't. Too many FT Teamsters know where their paycheck comes from.
It wouldn’t matter what FT Teamsters thought if Part -timers could organize their voting power, in solidarity, for positive change. Part-timers could improve the future for FT Teamster jobs.

My experience has been that a majority of FT UPS Teamsters are looking out only for themselves.

Part-Time Power!

I would think PVD's would be a very real threat.
If the Pilots dont honor a strike the Rank and File are screwed
Yes but you still have to have tractor trailer drivers to move the freight and you need people to unload them and sort them.

I can tell you that most of the pvds did not even make it through the Christmas season, many only worked a few days and quit

Yes the pilots make me nervous because they got an extension on their contract.

Hopefully they will not transport struck goods

Thebrownblob

It wouldn’t matter what FT Teamsters thought if Part -timers could organize their voting power, in solidarity, for positive change. Part-timers could improve the future for FT Teamster jobs.

My experience has been that a majority of FT UPS Teamsters are looking out only for themselves.

Part-Time Power!
Get off the tip, you don’t know what you’re talking about. So you’ve taken a poll of the majority of full-time Teamsters? No? Didn’t think so. sick of your assumptions.

Most full timers come from the ranks of part-timers. How would it benefit Full timers not to care?

You’re the same guy that assumes most people want air conditioning even though there has been an actual polls every contract edit consistently doesn’t rank in the top five. Why do you enjoy being wrong?

Get off the tip, you don’t know what you’re talking about. So you’ve taken a poll of the majority of full-time Teamsters? No? Didn’t think so. sick of your assumptions.

Most full timers come from the ranks of part-timers. How would it benefit Full timers not to care?

You’re the same guy that assumes most people want air conditioning even though there has been an actual polls every contract edit consistently doesn’t rank in the top five. Why do you enjoy being wrong?
I thought he retired?
Why would he even care then?

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
I would think PVD's would be a very real threat.
If the Pilots dont honor a strike the Rank and File are screwed

PVD’s are an accident waiting to happen.. what would the liability involved if one of them had a major accident, who will be ultimately responsible for the injuries or death if it really goes south.

During the “97” strike feeders lost a manager on the road in an accident. What if one of these replacement (scab) drivers or untrained PVD’s does the same thing or worst.

Are they covered under any health coverage if they cross a picket line ... even if they are capable of doing the work let alone want to they would know that they will be without a job in less than a month with no prospect of ever staying once the Union learns that they were “scabs”.

The pilots will honor our picket lines just like they did back in “97”...

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Yes but you still have to have tractor trailer drivers to move the freight and you need people to unload them and sort them.

I can tell you that most of the pvds did not even make it through the Christmas season, many only worked a few days and quit

Yes the pilots make me nervous because they got an extension on their contract.

Hopefully they will not transport struck goods
I dont think a strike will occur,i was just putting possible options on the table.
I live in a RTW state and my son told me the Onroads are sowing rumors that if people cross they will be paid $90 an hour for the duration of the strike.

I ahve been retired since January of 2021 and when i left they younger drivers had ZERO interest in the union.I could see many being persuaded to cross by promises of easy money and threats of losing their job if they dont. The kids think either management are their buddies or are terrified of management

Thebrownblob

I dont think a strike will occur,i was just putting possible options on the table.
I live in a RTW state and my son told me the Onroads are sowing rumors that if people cross they will be paid $90 an hour for the duration of the strike.

I ahve been retired since January of 2021 and when i left they younger drivers had ZERO interest in the union.I could see many being persuaded to cross by promises of easy money and threats of losing their job if they dont. The kids think either management are their buddies or are terrified of management
Same ones will complain about forced Saturdays, and long hours, but yet do nothing to stand up for themselves.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
If someone crosses the picket line here they would be shunned for life

Hell yes they would.

1662474756160.png