Reassigned to different positions around hub

flatbread

Occasional Lurker
Let me preface this by saying I'm about 95% sure I WON'T be making any kind of informal or formal complaint, and I'm also not here to moan uselessly.

For information's sake, what rights does a PTer have in regards to being reassigned to different parts of the hub? We're typically left in the dark as to why such moves occur, and it does impact people in terms of hours. Thanks!

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Let me preface this by saying I'm about 95% sure I WON'T be making any kind of informal or formal complaint, and I'm also not here to moan uselessly.

For information's sake, what rights does a PTer have in regards to being reassigned to different parts of the hub? We're typically left in the dark as to why such moves occur, and it does impact people in terms of hours. Thanks!

None unless you have a bid job or if OT is involved.

Some hubs bid jobs like small sort, irreg train, pick-off.

If you do not have a bid job, you are work as directed.

If OT is involved in a non-bid job, a case can be made for the OT going by seniority.

Discoteka

Just can't stay away
Way back when I was a loader, they moved me to a different belt. After a few days I went to the full time in charge of the new belt (as well as the old) and told him I would really prefer to go back. They did end up moving me back, but I'm not sure how much of it was me or them deciding the first belt was a better fit.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

They got big plans for you.
They move targeted people around to get experience.
It will not be long before you get an offer to go to Part-Time Supervisor!

Last edited:

flatbread

Occasional Lurker
They got big plans for you.
They want to move targeted people around to get experience.
It will not be long before you get an offer to go to Part-Time Supervisor!

HA! :-) That's actually been offered to me three times including the initial hiring interview. I've turned them down mostly because I'm a FT grad student with a wife, kid, and more income coming in from elsewhere. I saw last year how the PT Sups were pulling eight-hour days, too!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
HA! :-) That's actually been offered to me three times including the initial hiring interview. I've turned them down mostly because I'm a FT grad student with a wife, kid, and more income coming in from elsewhere. I saw last year how the PT Sups were pulling eight-hour days, too!
They get paid extra after 27.5 hours a week so if your schedule permits.

flatbread

Occasional Lurker
Wow you must of been a accidental hire! That or your hr screens new hires better then mine does

Bachelor's degree earned in 2007. Seven years of management/supervision experience prior to entering grad school. They hire PT sups with much less than that (not that I'm dinging them for it).

They get paid extra after 27.5 hours a week so if your schedule permits.

Heh...not happening! :-)

UPSGUY72

As a Ptimers you most likely don't bid position as most PTimers don't. That being said they can put your where your needed and where you perform well for them and that could change if they need you somewhere else on any giving day. So you need to learn how to play the game if you don't like moving all over the place. Your probably moved do different position because they can count on you to do a good job a each position. I'm sure you know people that they moved to a position for a day or two will never put them back there because they couldn't do the job either buy choice or just didn't have the skills to get the job done. You might needto be one the those people if you don't want to keep getting moved and abused.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

You're not really providing any specifics. But get used to this answer:

It depends.

It's going to depend on the language in your local supplement, but the general rule of thumb is that "preferred jobs" (small sort, irregs, clerking, picking off, sorting, etc.) are assigned on the basis of seniority when an opening is available from the "preferred jobs list." You would need to sign this list to express an interest in this job and file on it if the company doesn't honor the list and skips you.

As far as getting put on a different belt (if you're a loader) or a different quad (if you unload) again: it depends. In my area, the company is supposed to send PT'ers to "help out" other areas according to qualification AND seniority. For example, if management needs a sorter on the sort aisle then the junior-most qualified sorter in my area is supposed to be taken first. If they need someone for an "unskilled" job, then the most junior employee is supposed to go if these moves are temporary. If someone is being permanently moved, it would be entirely on seniority (junior most employee again.)

If you're being violated, you're going to have to talk to a steward and possibly make an "informal or formal complaint" unless you're happy eating :censored2: sandwiches for lunch every day.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Don't let them put you in the Small Sort ... the women will drive you crazy.
Ask @PiedmontSteward

It's not just "the women" -- for the record.

The bulk of my post-retirement memoirs is going to have tales from small sort. The book will include stories of work place violence taking place over sports trash talk and fully grown adults literally going bankrupt because they don't want to stay and work for $24-25+/hr.