Idea for Increasing Part-timer Turnout for the Current Contract

wilberforce15

This is one time I hope for lower PT turnout. They're more likely to vote Yes, and we certainly don't need that.

If we send them back to the negotiating table, it will be even better for PT and won't be a steaming pile of poo for everyone else.

mikejonesjr

This is one time I hope for lower PT turnout. They're more likely to vote Yes, and we certainly don't need that.

If we send them back to the negotiating table, it will be even better for PT and won't be a steaming pile of poo for everyone else.
How is this joke of a proposal even good for PT? Everyone i talked to said they are voting no. By the looks of it any PTer with 1-3 years seniority is going to be making the same as a new hire which sucks. And 3-4 years seniority will barely be above a new hire. Long time PTers know that the 4 dollars over the contract is trash. Not to mention all PTers hired after august 1st will get no seniority raises in their 5 year contract. So they will make the same as someone starting 5 years after them in 2023! This contract looks like a :censored2:ing joke unless im missing something its for sure a no from me and im PT.

wilberforce15

How is this joke of a proposal even good for PT? Everyone i talked to said they are voting no. By the looks of it any PTer with 1-3 years seniority is going to be making the same as a new hire which sucks. And 3-4 years seniority will barely be above a new hire. Long time PTers know that the 4 dollars over the contract is trash. Not to mention all PTers hired after august 1st will get no seniority raises in their 5 year contract. So they will make the same as someone starting 5 years after them in 2023! This contract looks like a :censored2:ing joke unless im missing something its for sure a no from me and im PT.

Anybody making less than $13.00 might be excited by it, even though they have no good reason to be. As a 10 year PTer, it's a joke.

But I think new people seeing bigger numbers is enough to sway them, because they don't really know the system. We have to come alongside them and explain it, and hope that the ignorant don't vote even though it's so easy now. Luckily, counting on low-seniority PTers not to vote has always been a pretty good bet.

beentheredonethat

Do you even understand what I'm saying? When did I complain that people doing the same work should be making less than me? You have reading comprehension problems or something? I said I was glad starting pay was increased for part-timers, even though I started at $9.50 skilled, $8.50 unskilled. I'm simply arguing that veterans shouldn't be stuck at the pay rate they were hired at while fresh-off-the-street new hires are making close to 50% more than them.
existing pt hourly will at the least be brought up to new pt pay rate. no existing pt employee will make less then a new pt in same classification

Hethatbeking

So as everyone already knows, part-timer turnout for voting in general has been awful for the past couple of years. I'm not going to get into the details of the chicken-or-the-egg problem of why this is the case (is part-timer turnout low because they have been overlooked by the union for a while now, or are they overlooked by the union because their turnout has been low?)

But there is one wildcard in play this time around that could possibly get part-timers to actually vote this time around, and that is the 22.4 proposal. A lot of part-timers are likely to jump at the opportunity to actually get a full-time job, even if it is paid a lower top rate than other full-time drivers.

As a part-time union steward, I think that not only part-timers, but also full-timers should do their very best to inform current part-timers that they need to vote, even if only because the catch-up raises will either be subpar or non-existent. It's quite the slap in the face of 5+ year part-timers (hell, it's a slap in the face of people hired at $10.35 or $11.00 just prior to the contract being ratified) to be getting paid the same (or as much as $4.65 less) as a new hire, so it's a good angle to play to keep them from voting "yes" on a contract that in all honesty is actually looking to sway their opinion in favor of a "yes" vote even if only through the creation of 22.4 jobs.

It's almost like UPS knows that part-timers are going to jump at the opportunity to have a full-time job and for that reason are dangling this 22.4 "carrot" in front of them to divide the full-timers and the part-timers (even though it could easily be argued that the full-timers have essentially been pissing on the part-timers by pushing through contracts that have not been taking care of their brothers and sisters in the part-time ranks).

Again, this isn't something that I'm going to argue because it's not really the point of this thread, but let's be real: Even though technically speaking part-timers could have controlled the outcome of all the contracts by sheer numbers, we've all known that they just don't vote for whatever, and the (general) full-time mentality is "As long as I get mine, screw the part-timers". And then in the same breath, they'll complain about things like load quality from workers who are getting paid peanuts, which makes no sense. It's worked so far in creating a "divide and conquer" atmosphere in my hub, and I don't imagine it's much different in other hubs (just look at all the "preload bashing threads" you see here). The idea behind a union is unity, and it just doesn't exist to the extent it could between the full-timers and part-timers.

I know I'm going to do everything I can at my hub to play that angle and make sure I turn out a 100% "no" vote if there are no proper catch-up raises for the current part-timers, and educate them on how 22.4 positions are not really in their best interests in the long run, so I hope everyone else does the same. At the end of the day, it's not just this contract that such weak language will affect, it's every contract from here forward. Concessions of that nature in a prosperous time for the company will only open the door to far worse concessions in the future. The time for true unity between the part-timers and full-timers is now!

And a TLDR version for people with no attention span:
-22.4 language in the contract seems to be geared towards increasing part-timer turnout.
-Part-timers are likely to be the ones that vote that kind of language in just for the sake of getting a livable wage working only one job.
-All employees, full and part-time, need to play the angle of poor or no catch up raises to turn out a "no" vote from the part-timers in spite of the 22.4 language.
-In addition, the general idea of how such language will weaken the union as a whole in the long run needs to be made clear to the part-timers.
-True unity, not "I got mine so screw the rest" needs to start happening, especially this time around.

The divide and conquer strategy has worked in SF well. I hear full timers :censored2: on part time workers all the time. It's rather depressing really watching the poor divide themselves into classes.

Heavy Package

But there is one wildcard in play this time around that could possibly get part-timers to actually vote this time around. A lot of part-timers are likely to jump at the opportunity.

This would increase PT voting turn out by 1000%

marijuana-cocaine.jpeg

F

Frankie's Friend

33etnv9.jpg

Seriously ?

Full-time progression was 150 days in my state. There was no Article 41 yet in the

National Master.

There was no "progression" for part-timers. They just got annual raises.

After 1984.... they got a straight .50 per hour for 2 years, then the contractual raises.

I was multi-tasking.

I can't even remember now. My bad.

Must have been looking to bust someones chops....

You were available. :biggrin:

-Bug-
I wonder what .50/hr =s in 1982 vs today and what was the starting wage for pt time?
50 cents had to be significant in comparison.

Total package

We can rebuild him
I don't know about this obsession some PTs have with newer people making less than they do. A 20 year delivery driver doesn't care if the guy with 5 years gets the same rate. And we definitely don't want a whole new class doing it for way less forever