Idea for Increasing Part-timer Turnout for the Current Contract

mikejonesjr

I don't know about this obsession some PTs have with newer people making less than they do. A 20 year delivery driver doesn't care if the guy with 5 years gets the same rate. And we definitely don't want a whole new class doing it for way less forever
If it took a driver 10 years to hit top rate and then it's proposed a new hire got there after 1 year, you would understand. That's how it looks for some pt

DoYouEvenLift

Yeah that's one thing that crossed my mind. Let's say you've been a part-timer for 6 years and just hit $15, whereas a new hire gets $15 from the start. That's not fair. You should get some sort of extra raise if you already make $15 if they decide to increase the starting wage.

They start at 13 an hour, not 15.

I'm still voting no. Just wanted to let you know.

wilberforce15

I don't know about this obsession some PTs have with newer people making less than they do. A 20 year delivery driver doesn't care if the guy with 5 years gets the same rate. And we definitely don't want a whole new class doing it for way less forever

If we doubled our starting rate in a 4 year progression, we might feel the same way.

mikejonesjr

They start at 13 an hour, not 15.

I'm still voting no. Just wanted to let you know.
They will be starting at 15.50 in 2022 according to the highlights of agreement. Essentially I have been working 4 years, and it will take me another 2 years to make what new hires will make by 2022.. Just sit on that one.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
If it took a driver 10 years to hit top rate and then it's proposed a new hire got there after 1 year, you would understand. That's how it looks for some pt
As long as I don't make less than what someone makes who does the same job, I could care less what someone else makes. What is the learning curve for a new hire to understand the job as well as say a five year veteran part timer? Six months, three months?
Be more upset that they are not giving you a bigger raise than that someone new will make the same amount as you

mikejonesjr

As long as I don't make less than what someone makes who does the same job, I could care less what someone else makes. What is the learning curve for a new hire to understand the job as well as say a five year veteran part timer? Six months, three months?
Be more upset that they are not giving you a bigger raise than that someone new will make the same amount as you
Well i know after 6 years i shouldnt be at the rate of a new hire coming a couple years after me. Yes a catch up raise would change that, I should be due my seniority + 4 years progression of whatever the new rate is its not right to just eliminate progression now. Its one thing to be here 10 years and a 7 yr pter gets bumped up, and its another to make what a new hire does. Its a slap in the face.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Well i know after 6 years i shouldnt be at the rate of a new hire coming a couple years after me. Yes a catch up raise would change that since Im ending my progression its not right to just eliminate it now. Its one thing to be here 10 years and a 7 yr pter gets bumped up, and its another to make what a new hire does. Its a slap in the face.

Where does it end?
Everyone said changing the starting pay for part timers was a major concern. Now that they are doing it part timers are complaining.
Say they raised the starting pay to 20 dollars and hour and raised everyone else pay to that rate. Would you still be upset that you were making the same as a new hire?

Pullman Brown

IMG_1931.GIF
Where does it end?
Everyone said changing the starting pay for part timers was a major concern. Now that they are doing it part timers are complaining.
Say they raised the starting pay to 20 dollars and hour and raised everyone else pay to that rate. Would you still be upset that you were making the same as a new hire?

It will end when insurance, food, cars, braces, houses and everything else under the damn sun stops costing more money! Sir Turd!

mikejonesjr

I am all for trying to pry as much money as possible out of UPS so that the workers can share equally in the success that they have helped to create. I just think too many are taking it personally that some new person will make as much as they do
After 9 years working for me in 2022 I'll make 1.65 more than a new hire, unless they were missing a a catch-up in the highlights shown. That's reasonable to you? Maybe I just feel like Id have nothing to show for all the work I'd put in by then.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
After 9 years working for me in 2022 I'll make 1.65 more than a new hire, unless they were missing a a catch-up in the highlights shown. That's reasonable to you? Maybe I just feel like Id have nothing to show for all the work I'd put in by then.

I've been here 29 years. There are people who have been here 4 years who make the same as I do. Before they allowed the multi tier part time rate everyone used to make the same rate after they made seniority

bowhnterdon

33etnv9.jpg

Seriously ?

Full-time progression was 150 days in my state. There was no Article 41 yet in the

National Master.

There was no "progression" for part-timers. They just got annual raises.

After 1984.... they got a straight .50 per hour for 2 years, then the contractual raises.

I was multi-tasking.

I can't even remember now. My bad.

Must have been looking to bust someones chops....

You were available. :biggrin:

-Bug-
I thought the contract was ‘82-‘85. Then the Teamsters offered a two year extension to ‘87

Superteeth2478

I've been here 29 years. There are people who have been here 4 years who make the same as I do. Before they allowed the multi tier part time rate everyone used to make the same rate after they made seniority
I don't think the part-timers are lamenting the fact that new hires are making the same as them, it's that their years of seniority are essentially getting them nothing with this new contract if they're already above $13 an hour. Sure, full-time drivers all make the same rate after hitting progression, but the fact that part-timers don't have a similar progression is part of the problem (the fact that there is this multi-tier part-time rate rather than a rate everyone is hitting after a certain number of years).

Turdferguson

Just a turd
I don't think the part-timers are lamenting the fact that new hires are making the same as them, it's that their years of seniority are essentially getting them nothing with this new contract if they're already above $13 an hour. Sure, full-time drivers all make the same rate after hitting progression, but the fact that part-timers don't have a similar progression is part of the problem (the fact that there is this multi-tier part-time rate rather than a rate everyone is hitting after a certain number of years).

That's why earlier I had said instead of being upset that some new person is making the same as you, that they should be upset that their raises are not higher. Instead of only getting a $4.15 raise through the life of the contract they should get raise of $5.00 or $6.00 raise through the life of the contract. Why should full and part time HAVE to get the amount of raise?

Pullman Brown

The goal seemed to be to get future part-timers in the door and the 13 dollar started point in most places not everywhere might reach that goal! Let me just say this part-timers that their are so many more opportunities to go full time now then their has ever been before.

And if you started after 2013 you have no idea how hard it was to get a full-time job from 2008-2013. So.. either go full-time or quit and go back to school or find another second part-time job that makes it work for you because the benefits are some of the best in the country!

Superteeth2478

That's why earlier I had said instead of being upset that some new person is making the same as you, that they should be upset that their raises are not higher. Instead of only getting a $4.15 raise through the life of the contract they should get raise of $5.00 or $6.00 raise through the life of the contract. Why should full and part time HAVE to get the amount of raise?
They absolutely needn't get the same amount over the life of the contract, but there's also no reason there shouldn't be a catch-up raise as well (which again, isn't something current part-timers want because they don't want new hires to make the same amount as them, but because they want their years of service to count for something). Really, if the negotiators are counting on part-timers voting yes, a better raise over the life of the contract than full-timers along with a catch-up raise would be better ways to do it.

unloady

It is true. There are lots of part timers in my center that are tired of juggling two or three other jobs to supplement part time poverty at ups. Im im the same boat. UPS is a joke to me because i can MAYBE get 4 hours a day at my ceneter if i bump and ask for extra work. But at what cost? My ceneter is 20 minutes away. Im almost paying to work there. I have a full time job i work during the day so im here strictly for the benefits. But in my fist two years of just working UPS i was frusturated at the ridiculous wait times for driver spots and the fact that they try so hard to do the most amount of work in the least amount of time with the least amount of people. I dont think part timers neccessarily care about the actual pay so much as they care about actually getting HOURS. UPS expects to convince people to wake up at 3 in the morning to unload/load trucks for 3 hours a day at poverty wages. Give me a break. Im here just because of my wife and future family. The benefits are great but the rest of the job is a total joke.