Recently Terminated--NEED Help

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
The Otherside wrote:
Heres where you stand: you are terminated for dishonesty. Of all the topics on this board you should have read, I posted one when this contract was being ratified that explained just this scenario. Of all the training you recieved over the 3.5 years driving, where were you instructed to sheet anything away from the delivery point or sheet as closed or NI1 to avoid a 1030am commit time? Only an idiot would believe that he/she could circumvent the system designed to catch such dishonesty.

I've actually been instructed by a supervisor to sheet a package as "DR FD" that he would deliver later. I have also been given tracking numbers to key-enter and "DR FD" and "signature on paper" that were delivered hours before by the supervisor.

I have also been instructed by a supervisor to sheet 15 packages for a school at 16:45 as closed after I called in saying they would be missed. The response from the sup. was "Its closed by now, sheet them as closed" and this was far away from the delivery point.

I have to work as directed.

Over95 said 99.9% of us do the job correctly. I think he might want to revise that figure. Dishonesty runs amuck in this company and it starts at the top.
Brownie, as far as being instructed to do this or that with a specific pkg, keep track of it. Keep notes.

I think what Over was getting at was 99% of the union employees do their job. You can throw out the window what mgt does. We all know how honest the majority (NOTICE: I SAID MAJORITY) of them are. I do have to agree with you though, I don't think it is 99% either. There is a line between this generation ('this' being the over 40 crowd) and the next. Based on age and ethics the younger generation is, for the most part, the ones that are the runners and gunners. They are the ones that are more likely to be cheating the system whenever they can. MHO. I can't even begin to estimate the difference in numbers between this generation and the next, but I will guess that there are more of the younger generation than there are old timers. 25% old timers, 75% young 'uns. Does that sound closer?

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
The Otherside wrote:
Heres where you stand: you are terminated for dishonesty. Of all the topics on this board you should have read, I posted one when this contract was being ratified that explained just this scenario. Of all the training you recieved over the 3.5 years driving, where were you instructed to sheet anything away from the delivery point or sheet as closed or NI1 to avoid a 1030am commit time? Only an idiot would believe that he/she could circumvent the system designed to catch such dishonesty.

I've actually been instructed by a supervisor to sheet a package as "DR FD" that he would deliver later. I have also been given tracking numbers to key-enter and "DR FD" and "signature on paper" that were delivered hours before by the supervisor.

I have also been instructed by a supervisor to sheet 15 packages for a school at 16:45 as closed after I called in saying they would be missed. The response from the sup. was "Its closed by now, sheet them as closed" and this was far away from the delivery point.

Over95 said 99.9% of us do the job correctly. I think he might want to revise that figure. Dishonesty runs amuck in this company and it starts at the top.

This kind of thing had happened to me too in years past, but not for quite some time. I know that there are multiple examples of sups breaking rules when on road with drivers and deviating from the rules at other times. I think you should always work as instructed, BUT....I think drivers have to ask themselves "if I do it the 'cheater' way all the time by myself, and I use the excuse that dishonest sup 'so and so' told me to do it that 'cheater' way, do you really think he will have your back when you're interviewed by security for cheating? Get real, if he suggests dishonest behavior as a way of avoiding a simple late air penalty, imagine how hard it will be to get him to accept responsibility for using dishonest training methods. We all work for UPS, we all have to work as directed, and we all have an obligation to be honest at all times......except when you are instructed to do otherwise as a direct order. Any time I have been uncomfortable with an instruction from a sup I note their name and say "per A. Smith" or whatever their name is in remarks. Not perfect, but better than flying blind and better than insubordination. As long as it's not illegal or unsafe, bottom line is, it's their call.

Also as an aside, there is a lot of discussion on this but no sign of the OP for days. Is this for real or just some tire kicking?

UPSviking

I agree that the B.S. starts from the top, but then again i don´t do my job for the brass, i do it for me, and i take personal plessure in doing the job right.

I will never get fired for dishonesty or cheating and i have no time for those that do....

Big brown is far from perfect, but i have never worked anywhere where the quality of the average worker is higher.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
The Otherside wrote:

What you say is true Brownie, to a point, You do not have to follow any instuction that is Illigal, IMMORAL, or Unsafe.

Anytime I am asked to do anything that I feel is shady, I simply say NO, I do not feel comfortable falsifying records like that. They always simply say ok, and end up doing it the right way!!

QKRSTKR

Always amazes me how differently UPS operates elsewhere. We are absoulutly not to ever record as CLO H unless it's a holiday recognized by UPS. You put in CLO H in our center and you will for sure get a talk with. If I'm between 12-1, I go back sometime after 1 and sheet it at the business. I know it might suck, but we get paid to do so. I can't believe drivers would in this day and age sheet anything away from the delivery address.

But this is a bogus post. Not one reply from this guy.

klein

Für Meno :)
Always amazes me how differently UPS operates elsewhere. We are absoulutly not to ever record as CLO H unless it's a holiday recognized by UPS. You put in CLO H in our center and you will for sure get a talk with. If I'm between 12-1, I go back sometime after 1 and sheet it at the business. I know it might suck, but we get paid to do so. I can't believe drivers would in this day and age sheet anything away from the delivery address.

Yup, and that belongs on the "This saves money thread".

Having to go back, wasting time and gas, even though you know darn well the business is closed for the entire day.
The new improved UPS way.
(and clo h) would take us in the office, too !

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!

You go strait to warning letter here, the company has given verbal instruction on not using CLH unless it is an actual holiday, therefore skips the T/W

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I have read this for days and would like to chime in.

I do agree with many things that management does, but as a driver, I do not justify pointing at bad behavior to justify our bad behavior......so those who are blaming management in this case holds no water.
This driver is a joke in my opinion. We are ALL under great pressure to perform. Most of us have more work than we know what to do with. But that does not allow us to cut corners.
This guy acts like he was being honest with everyone as he mislead NDA deliveries. I disagree. Here is what I would have did.
If he really did get all these places to agree to deliver air on trace, then he should have told the driver sup about it. Then the sup could have either said, "I don't care, deliver it on time." Or he could have set it up with all the said companies to deliver on trace and sheet as "customer request" for the reason being late. I honestly don't know if the second would be what the sup would want, but I know that customer request is an option for late air so I would think it might apply here.
My guess is this driver was cutting out air chasers, and got away with it long enough he cut out any air he didn't feel like breaking off for. As a vacation driver, I have to deal with people like this all the time. Drivers that call pick ups, sheet air as NI, work during break, and fixing their load before start time are just a few things I know that is being done. It bites when I get ragged on because I can't get as much done as some of these driver because I refuse to cut corners. I work very hard, and do what I am told.

I don't know if this guy deserves to lose his job, but I am sick of drivers like this.

I was disqualfied from driving. the main reason: the temp seasonal driver who did the route before me cut every corner known to man and got his SPORH up to almost 19/hr. HE would sheet NDAs late in board and deliver them after commit, so he could run off grounds with airs. He would set up deals with customers so he would not have to leave his car or make backs to docks for pickups. (honest, but at all not good service). He worked breaks and lunches.

I was told that if I did not get the sporh to 18.5/hr I would not make seniority. How could I possibly get sporh that high going about it the right way? Answer: Impossible!

So although the thread author technically was WRONG in his ways, no doubt, there is a definite double standard going on and it will likely never be addressed.

bottom line: you need to make seniority dirty, then ride clean and soak up the 12 hour days instead of desperately trying to hang on to some semblance of a normal job and normal life by cutting corners.

klein

I was disqualfied from driving. the main reason: the temp seasonal driver who did the route before me cut every corner known to man and got his SPORH up to almost 19/hr. HE would sheet NDAs late in board and deliver them after commit, so he could run off grounds with airs. He would set up deals with customers so he would not have to leave his car or make backs to docks for pickups. (honest, but at all not good service). He worked breaks and lunches.

I was told that if I did not get the sporh to 18.5/hr I would not make seniority. How could I possibly get sporh that high going about it the right way? Answer: Impossible!

So although the thread author technically was WRONG in his ways, no doubt, there is a definite double standard going on and it will likely never be addressed.

bottom line: you need to make seniority dirty, then ride clean and soak up the 12 hour days instead of desperately trying to hang on to some semblance of a normal job and normal life by cutting corners.

I totally agree with you.
Why do you think some unions will have the "work to rule order" in place, before they go on a strike.
Because, it works !
Slows down everything.
Same with UPS.
And, some are forced to make shortcuts (by management, raising stops, etc).
But, now, you can't turn the clock back.
Stuck with those numbers.
Unless another labor dispute happens.

browniehound

You go strait to warning letter here, the company has given verbal instruction on not using CLH unless it is an actual holiday, therefore skips the T/W

I guess its different everywhere. We are allowed to use CLOH on jewish holidays and good friday, which are not UPS holidays, obviously. I've also used CLOH without authority on a friday after christmas and other similar days, July 3 on a friday for example, without a word from management...

klein

I guess its different everywhere. We are allowed to use CLOH on jewish holidays and good friday, which are not UPS holidays, obviously. I've also used CLOH without authority on a friday after christmas and other similar days, July 3 on a friday for example, without a word from management...

We are talking about hairsalons or bakeries, butchers... being closed on Monday, because they are open Saturdays.
I even had a normal office being closed closed every Monday.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I used CLO H yesterday for a dentist office that closes early on Fridays. I am usually able to catch them before they close but they closed really early, as in didn't even open, so CLO H and OFD Monday.