Red Circled?

Factotum

Southern Region.
I've been with the company for a very long time...as a PTer primarily for the health insurance. During COVID, I threw in the towel on my personal business. Rebuilding my client base during the erratic conditions of a pandemic took the joy (and money) out of entrepreneurship.

Last year, I decided to go full-time at UPS.

I signed the bid sheets for cover-feeder and cover-package. I got called for feeder school, passed, and have put in 30+ days on the road. I am still waiting to be called for package school.

While working as cover-feeder, my pay rate was reduced to the standard cover rate of 85% of top rate. It has been my understanding that a PTer will never have their contractual wage rate reduced with the exception of air work. Is this correct?

I know this language is specific for 22.4 and '82ers but not so clear for the rest. I did find language in article 22.5.c: "The wage rates and increases provided in (a) and (b) shall be a minimum."

I would appreciate any insight or experience from the group as it has been a wealth of knowledge to me in the past. I just can't find an example like mine in past threads.

542thruNthru

Southern Region.
I've been with the company for a very long time...as a PTer primarily for the health insurance. During COVID, I threw in the towel on my personal business. Rebuilding my client base during the erratic conditions of a pandemic took the joy (and money) out of entrepreneurship.

I signed the bid sheets for cover-feeder and cover-package. I got called for feeder school, passed, and have put in 30+ days on the road. I am still waiting to be called for package school.

While working as cover-feeder, my pay rate was reduced to the standard cover rate of 85% of top rate. It has been my understanding that a PTer will never have their contractual wage rate reduced with the exception of air work. Is this correct?

I know this language is specific for 22.4 and '82ers but not so clear for the rest. I did find language in article 22.5.c: "The wage rates and increases provided in (a) and (b) shall be a minimum."

I would appreciate any insight or experience from the group as it has been a wealth of knowledge to me in the past. I just can't find an example like mine in past threads.
This isn't for feeder cover but for cover driver. Still it probably answers your question.
Screenshot_20220518-151615_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Factotum

I'm probably not being clear enough with the details. I am a part-time employee. My PT wage-rate exceeds TCD. TCD is also considered part-time. The above language would apply to a PTer going FT w/o going to TCD. This is not possible with our hub. The only FT jobs we have available to PTers are 22.4 and Feeder and both require TCD-package or TCD-feeder.

So in short, the path to FT requires PTers to become TCD of one flavor or another which is PT to PT (unless I'm missing something). Your example, while it applies to PT->FT, does show the intent to protect the wage-rate of the PTer. Article 41.4 has similar language for PT->22.4. Article 48.11.G red circles the TCD rate of PTers that win a 22.4 FT bid.

The only language I can find to protect (red circle) a PTer's wage-rate is 22.5.c "...wage rates and increases...shall be a minimum." What was the intent and purpose of this language?

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
I'm probably not being clear enough with the details. I am a part-time employee. My PT wage-rate exceeds TCD. TCD is also considered part-time. The above language would apply to a PTer going FT w/o going to TCD. This is not possible with our hub. The only FT jobs we have available to PTers are 22.4 and Feeder and both require TCD-package or TCD-feeder.

So in short, the path to FT requires PTers to become TCD of one flavor or another which is PT to PT (unless I'm missing something). Your example, while it applies to PT->FT, does show the intent to protect the wage-rate of the PTer. Article 41.4 has similar language for PT->22.4. Article 48.11.G red circles the TCD rate of PTers that win a 22.4 FT bid.

The only language I can find to protect (red circle) a PTer's wage-rate is 22.5.c "...wage rates and increases...shall be a minimum." What was the intent and purpose of this language?
Cover feeder is PT. I would assume if your hub rate is above TCD then the prevailing rate would apply.

Your hub rate is over $32? Damn you were part time for a long time.

542thruNthru

No I understand that. But read between the lines. It's saying if you were a cover driver your PT pay would not be read circled when you go FT. Meaning when you go cover you get the 85% not your pt rate even if higher.
How does 22.4 require TCD? Where does it say that?
The only time I've ever seen red circle is when you go from PT to FT.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
No I understand that. But read between the lines. It's saying if you were a cover driver your PT pay would not be read circled when you go FT. Meaning when you go cover you get the 85% not your pt rate even if higher.
This is a tricky one. At my hub, if you are PT going into feeders you come up as a PT cover feeder driver and aren’t classified as FT until you win a FT bid. Since he is going from PT hub to PT cover, that would be a lateral move would it not?

Then I thought if you then won a FT bid you would keep the prevailing rate until progression passes it. I’m not sure about that part though?

Factotum

How does 22.4 require TCD? Where does it say that?

The only time I've ever seen red circle is when you go from PT to FT.
You bring up an interesting point. I have never read that one must be a TCD to bid on a 22.4. But don't you have to be qualified to win a 22.4 bid? I honestly don't know because I've never heard of it being done.

There's always this unwritten requirement "to put in 30 days with package."

Then-again, the contract discusses PT->22.4 repeatedly.

I have never seen a 22.4 bid sheet...only a PT->FT bid sheet with a yes/no option for driving.

So, is it possible to win a 22.4 w/o package qualification?

542thruNthru

This is a tricky one. At my hub, if you are PT going into feeders you come up as a PT cover feeder driver and aren’t classified as FT until you win a FT bid. Since he is going from PT hub to PT cover, that would be a lateral move would it not?

Then I thought if you then won a FT bid you would keep the prevailing rate until progression passes it. I’m not sure about that part though?
He's transferring from PT hub to TCD. Different classification with a different pay scale.

Yes if he wins a FT position he should probably stay at 85% of top rate which is TCD rate. Though I'd have to check his contract to be sure.

542thruNthru

You bring up an interesting point. I have never read that one must be a TCD to bid on a 22.4. But don't you have to be qualified to win a 22.4 bid? I honestly don't know because I've never heard of it being done.

There's always this unwritten requirement "to put in 30 days with package."

Then-again, the contract discusses PT->22.4 repeatedly.

I have never seen a 22.4 bid sheet...only a PT->FT bid sheet with a yes/no option for driving.

So, is it possible to win a 22.4 w/o package qualification?
You have to qualify to win any driving position. So yes you'd be requires to qualify as a 22.4.

Yes it's possible.

Factotum

My goals are to go FT in Feeder and keep my PT wage rate throughout the progession. To do that, I need to move to the top of the Feeder Cover Board as quickly as possible with FT seniority. This won't happen in Feeder because our local/region views one-day of FT seniority greater than any PT seniority. This obstacle pushes me to Package for a 22.4 job.

To be a 22.4 in our building, PTers sign a PT->FT bid sheet posted twice a year (I thought it was supposed to be quarterly). Those PTers with enough seniority go to Intergrad and then become cover drivers for a 1-2 years until a 22.4 opens.

I have never read in the contract that you must be a TCD before you can bid on a 22.4 yet I have never seen a 22.4 bid sheet. I will ask around today.

So if I understand correctly, I should be able to bid on a 22.4, as a non-TCD, and if I win, I must qualify over the a 30 day period to keep the 22.4 job?

Overpaid Union Thug

Southern Region.

Being a red circled part timer doesn’t affect/help your pay in other classifications.

charm299

My goals are to go FT in Feeder and keep my PT wage rate throughout the progession. To do that, I need to move to the top of the Feeder Cover Board as quickly as possible with FT seniority. This won't happen in Feeder because our local/region views one-day of FT seniority greater than any PT seniority. This obstacle pushes me to Package for a 22.4 job.

To be a 22.4 in our building, PTers sign a PT->FT bid sheet posted twice a year (I thought it was supposed to be quarterly). Those PTers with enough seniority go to Intergrad and then become cover drivers for a 1-2 years until a 22.4 opens.

I have never read in the contract that you must be a TCD before you can bid on a 22.4 yet I have never seen a 22.4 bid sheet. I will ask around today.

So if I understand correctly, I should be able to bid on a 22.4, as a non-TCD, and if I win, I must qualify over the a 30 day period to keep the 22.4 job?
You don’t have to be a tcd to bid on 22.4. You must do a 30 day qualifying period though