Reducing our hours now to make us unprepared strike later.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
They’ve been working PVD’s since November 1st, ran 47 of them today. After 4 years of running them, UPS has definitely worked out a lot of the kinks. Guys have seriously gone from bitching about excessive overtime to an excessive amount of unpaid bills. We all knew this was coming, this is the new UPS.

At one time there was a concept called “Living within your means” . We have way too many members that have set their standards relying on a 50 or 60 hour paycheck.

I rely totally on a 40 hour workweek, refuse any overtime. Been there and done with it, all this excessive OT has a price and will eventually takes it’s toll on your health and family. Choose your poison.

Remember everyone that this is a marathon not a sprint. Every pension and health benefit plan calculates attrition, the Company has already figured out just how many of us will be crossing that retirement finish line.

So go on and work that 60 hour workweek and just ignore the chances of permanent disability or troubles at home. Sell that big truck get rid of that boat or Harley and start sleeping well at night again... don’t end up like one of them.. the ones who brag about clearing 120,000 as they slowly start to limp to work. :wheelchai

Brownwind

They’ve been working PVD’s since November 1st, ran 47 of them today. After 4 years of running them, UPS has definitely worked out a lot of the kinks. Guys have seriously gone from bitching about excessive overtime to an excessive amount of unpaid bills. We all knew this was coming, this is the new UPS.
Unpaid bills?? Remember to pay yourself first. First 500 in savings next 500 invested live off the rest.

Take some time and enjoy some down time. Grab a four pack and relax. No overtime no problem. Enjoy it for now. It won’t last past January when the belt tightens because the numbers weren’t made.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
Good one, boomer. 90's Civics are now classics, with an appropriate price tag
Bought it new in '87. Plymouth Reliant K. Family and work car for 5 years. Work car only for 17 years.
In 2009, I drove it to work for the last time. It sat well in the parking lot 12 hours a day, 5 days a week for 22 years
I go by the center now, it looks like a parking lot for redneck doctors. Jacked up 4x4 trucks everywhere with every imaginable accessory. The glare of the sun bouncing off all of 'em. The competitive level as high as the payments. Live it up.
Whatever $100K a year is now, I made it every year during my 30.
Strike? Always ready.
We walked out for a day because we had no language on over 70's.

Last edited:

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
Bought it new in '87. Plymouth Reliant K. Family and work car for 5 years. Work car only for 17 years.
In 2009, I drove it to work for the last time. It sat well in the parking lot 12 hours a day, 5 days a week for 22 years
I go by the center now, it looks like a parking lot for redneck doctors. Jacked up 4x4 trucks everywhere with every imaginable accessory. The glare of the sun bouncing off all of 'em. The competitive level as high as the payments. Live it up.
Whatever $100K a year is today, I made it every year during my 30.
My penis really is bigger.
There's a difference between the 88-91, 92-95, 96-00 Civics and your godawful Dodgesubishi POS. How dare you.

vvv

I noticed that hardly anyone in our center is getting the overtime they used to, and that management is pushing people to code 5. Sorry for putting on my tin foil hat, but I think they're intentionally trying to hinder our ability to save so that we'll be more tempted to cross the line in August. Also we have about thrice as many on-roads as we did this time last year. Thoughts?
Yes I have thoughts on that.....it's a completely ridiculous assessment.

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
Let's see how long those PVD drivers last before they quit
Management is kissing their asses. The ones that pick up their loads at the center are getting hats, tape guns and Dunkin Donuts courtesy of our center manager. They're all driving enormous SUVs- two of them have 2002 Ford Excursions- and are workaholics. Mine calls me when he's done to ask if he can take more stops off. Management literally doesn't care and neither do the stewards...

Management is kissing their asses. The ones that pick up their loads at the center are getting hats, tape guns and Dunkin Donuts courtesy of our center manager. They're all driving enormous SUVs- two of them have 2002 Ford Excursions- and are workaholics. Mine calls me when he's done to ask if he can take more stops off. Management literally doesn't care and neither do the stewards...
I won't even answer the phone if they called me.
If it's in my truck it's my work

HavenoEDD

Their excuse is they have to give seasonals routes, PVDs work and that they have to take work off trucks and build routes for them. Union will happily take their dues and let the membership moan to no action. Don’t forget when they have to give routes to PT sups getting their 30 days.

Company has done this enough to know they can do it knowing the moans and groans will amount to nothing. The bigger issue here is the lack of the big picture that comes with drivers. Many want and do run to get home and others take all the overs they can. Each helps justify what the company is trying to do.

AKCoverMan

At one time there was a concept called “Living within your means” . We have way too many members that have set their standards relying on a 50 or 60 hour paycheck.

I rely totally on a 40 hour workweek, refuse any overtime. Been there and done with it, all this excessive OT has a price and will eventually takes it’s toll on your health and family. Choose your poison.

Remember everyone that this is a marathon not a sprint. Every pension and health benefit plan calculates attrition, the Company has already figured out just how many of us will be crossing that retirement finish line.

So go on and work that 60 hour workweek and just ignore the chances of permanent disability or troubles at home. Sell that big truck get rid of that boat or Harley and start sleeping well at night again... don’t end up like one of them.. the ones who brag about clearing 120,000 as they slowly start to limp to work. :wheelchai
You rely totally on a 40 hour work week and refuse any overtime? So your not a UPS driver then. Fighting forced overtime is probably the number one issue among full time drivers in my building. I don’t brag about making $120,000… I complain about it and file grievances to reduce it!

I agree with you, these kids get dollar signs in their eyes and get addicted to fat net pay every Friday. The joke is you always know when FTer hits top rate because they roll up in a fat new 4x4 with a payment the size of a mortgage.

Wish there was an option in the 401k to set a higher percentage of contribution for OT hours, so could do like 10% on straight time but 50% of OT.

Iamsomebody

I agree with you, these kids get dollar signs in their eyes and get addicted to fat net pay every Friday. The joke is you always know when FTer hits top rate because they roll up in a fat new 4x4 with a payment the size of a mortgage.
In my building it's a Charger or Challenger and they dont even wait to hit top rate.

Matty1 MC

I noticed that hardly anyone in our center is getting the overtime they used to, and that management is pushing people to code 5. Sorry for putting on my tin foil hat, but I think they're intentionally trying to hinder our ability to save so that we'll be more tempted to cross the line in August. Also we have about thrice as many on-roads as we did this time last year. Thoughts?
I agree. At my center they have issued a driver curfew for peak. They have hired way too many people for local sort. They are not using employees for helpers, and they plan on using 40 something total PVD drivers. They are attempting to cut my Saturday trailer shifter hours - and they aren’t even paying me my shifter wage. Total evil empire stuff happening.