Refund of Initiation Fee?

10 point

If you are a part timer, for the love of god....don't spend your money on initiation fees, monthly dues, etc.... Here are several reasons which has always come to mind:

1. If you work air volume, you get NO BREAK!! In the DFW Hub, you get no rest break or meal periods of any kind, regardless of hours put in for that day.
2. There are no language of protection for part timers, namely how long you are required to work. You can work 6, 7, or even 9 hours... again with no break.
3. Thanks to extremely high turnover, the ability to call upon and participate in strikes are negligible at best. A few double shifters and trucking volume to another hub will do the trick. Bottomline, the union has very little collective bargaining power for part timers to begin with.

Do join the union if you are full time combo, package car driver, or work ramp. This namely applies to the hub I am at.
Bottom line:

The majority of part time employees don't vote on their or any issues in the CBA.

There's plenty of bargaining power but the CBA always passes without much improvement in part time language because pt timers DON'T VOTE.

End of story.

10 point

What a lot of new part time employees don't do is write down when they will get the healthcare and sick pay and vacation pay and weekends off and working shifts that allow them to go to school full time or another job. Those benefits cost a lot, dues/initiation fees are how those benefits are paid for. My advice for you is to be your own advocate, and stop getting your feelings hurt over something that doesn't affect you. It was that persons choice to leave. I do admire you for caring for other people, that's a good quality to have.
Please explain how dues/initiation fees pays for vacations, healthcare, sick pay(?), etc?
The last two jobs prior to this one gave me free healthcare and paid vacations for over 20 years without being in a union.

By The Book

Please explain how dues/initiation fees pays for vacations, healthcare, sick pay(?), etc?
The last two jobs prior to this one gave me free healthcare and paid vacations for over 20 years without being in a union.
Would you agree that if there were no union dues and no initiation fees that we would have a union? Most jobs these days don't have free healthcare, would you agree?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Company pays the healthcare.

As a result of collective bargaining.

If you think the company would pay it, out of the goodness of their heart ??

Ask a management person, about their "company provided" healthcare. :biggrin:

Dues helps run the local.

Duh.

Last time I checked;

Union administration employees, utilities, taxes, etc.... aren't free.

Initiation fees are nothing more than a rip off .

You didn't challenge them, when you got hired.

Why now ??

-Bug-

10 point

As a result of collective bargaining.

If you think the company would pay it, out of the goodness of their heart ??

Ask a management person, about their "company provided" healthcare. :biggrin:

Duh.

Last time I checked;

Union administration employees, utilities, taxes, etc.... aren't free.

You didn't challenge them, when you got hired.

Why now ??

-Bug-
We know what the company wanted in '97'...HMOs.

The initiation fees are no big deal except that most (a lot) of pt timers don't stay long enough to be vested. But that's not the union's fault.

Dues are part of the deal. Right to work people not paying dues should stay at the bottom of the seniority list in a business governed by a CBA.

10 point

Would you agree that if there were no union dues and no initiation fees that we would have a union? Most jobs these days don't have free healthcare, would you agree?
Mostly. Things are rapidly changing in that arena (healthcare) and not for the better thanks to this sitting president.

10 point

Ah.... 1997.

It just makes me laugh.

How many BrownCafe members were "actually" there ?

:biggrin:

It's not the IBT or the Local Unions fault.... that children quit.

-Bug-
I was there.
HMOs and "performance based" compensation.

Normally, from my perspective, they quit due to either poor training frustration or the lack of work ethic (besides being chronically "on call") and instead of boiling the frog slowly they just get thrown into scalding hot water at the get go by 30 day wonder supes.

My previous post's last sentence you quoted wasn't sarcasm btw.

10 point

Maybe I'm confused.

20 years.... before UPS ?
I was employed at ups in 97.
I remember the 6 page sheet the company passed out on the strike line to offer us hmos and performance-based raises. In fact, yeah actually was a seven-page offering passed out and they had ripped one of the pages out before they passed them out on the strike line.

I'm actually past 30 days now. So no refund for me regardless. I'd still like to see this guy get it. Frankly, "he benefited from the union-negotiated wages for the time he was there" is BS. UPS literally pays less than McDonald's opening shift in this area. The reason people work here is tuition or health insurance, neither of which he benefited from.

If I leave, it will be because I decided I'd rather do without the tuition benefit and make more money instead.
You seem to have all the answers like you are the smartest guy in the room. Is your dad also a member of this forum?

10 point

No. Those were non union jobs. But I drove commercially from 1989 to present.
And I didn't pay for healthcare at any of the non union shops I worked in but like I said...
basically, those days are over.
Gas was around 40- 49¢ a gallon when I was driving in high school too.
We roll with it or get a hanky.

Last edited:

10 point

That being said I'm pretty sure you have your numbers to retire.
That has it's plusses and minuses.
Over the years I've learned a lot being at UPS. All of it, although sometimes unpleasant, has made me a stronger person. Looking back I realize that a life lived without exhibiting courage in the face of overwhelming odds is a waste.
That's when we grow the most and that's where we help our co-workers the most too.
Some will take heart because we did. That's what brothers do.