Refusing to work

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Obviously you are not talking about an experienced FT sup. At my building management would just instruct a PT sup to work while a high seniority hourly watches. They call it training.
no offense dude but i've been in dozens of buildings, i've seen and met lots of sups; you've been in what, one?

experience or inexperience has nothing to do with it, it's just the types of people they are

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
It's not a cardinal infraction but the company thinks it is.

Just because it's not enumerated in your supplement....

Doesn't mean it's not a "just cause" situation.

Refusing a (reasonable) work instruction is just cause.

There are numerous arbitration cases that uphold it. (not just UPS)

"Work now and grieve later."

-Bug-

rod

Retired 22 years
The problem is that most part timers won't be here long enough to care about the contract.

If we went on strike for them (they did not show up last time we struck) I bet less than half would return after a month of striking.[/QUOTE]

I seriously doubt any strike would go on for a month. Past practices say 2 to 2 1/2 weeks. (piece of cake)

rod

Retired 22 years
You tell me this place has become to mechanical it has everyone by the crouch and i hate working for low pay for some of the hardest work around they want no missloads and great attendance we want better pay simple

All you have to do is get your fellow PT'ers to stick together, get involved with the union, VOTE and realize that PT outnumbers full time at UPS and you could make the demands rather than full time doing it. You could demand to be treated better---both financially and personally. Both the company and the union see that the PT employees are push overs so its no wonder they get treated like dog crap. Unfortunately sticking together will probably never happen with the PT. The majority don't care. A lot of them look at it as only a temporary job so why put up a fuss.

All you have to do is get your fellow PT'ers to stick together, get involved with the union, VOTE and realize that PT outnumbers full time at UPS and you could make the demands rather than full time doing it. You could demand to be treated better---both financially and personally. Both the company and the union see that the PT employees are push overs so its no wonder they get treated like dog crap. Unfortunately sticking together will probably never happen with the PT. The majority don't care. A lot of them look at it as only a temporary job so why put up a fuss.
Your right

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
so they can ram the contract through anyway, like last time

Yolo

Not any more.
The OP is a part timer.
Rod, you would not recognize the place now.
They can't keep the part timers more than a week.
They offer them a $200 bonus per week that they stay (seriously).
They give them pizza one night, wings the next.
UPS is happy if they show up 4 nights a week, and they work like Mrs Wiggins
They work when they want, as slow as they want.

Can confirm. Everything but the bonus part. But probably 75% of parttimers in my building miss at least a day a week. But since the pay is pennies above minimum wage and having to wait a year for Bennies what can UPS honestly expect.

Skooney

The problem is that most part timers won't be here long enough to care about the contract.

If we went on strike for them (they did not show up last time we struck) I bet less than half would return after a month of striking.

I dunno where you are, but in 97 the majority of part timers here showed up. Even pilots came out. Some PT's were getting paid more on strike than they were working. We were sitting in the grass down the road with jello shots and shooters, and it was beautiful outside.

Then we got treated like :censored2: when we went back in.

22.34life

Refusing to work as instructed is almost never a cut and dry thing,the company wants it to be but there are two sides to every story and then there's the truth.the company wants u to comply with all instructions without question just because someone questions the instruction doesn't mean they have refused.