Regretting management

[
Also as you stated earlier the verbal abuse that management people recieve from their superiors is just uncalled for. For a company that values integrity, and the well being of their employees I find all of this very disturbing. Getting results does not require speaking to people like they are garbage and making them feel inferior. Again as you said it is not all management. I also have alot of respect for some of the management people I have met in my time at UPS. I dont really know what else to say about this. Good luck to all of you that read this.[/QUOTE]

This sounds exactly like my meeting this morning...as well as our conference call...as well as our meeting yesterday...etc. etc. As was pointed out earlier, the past five years has seen virtually no interest in a full-time driver becoming a supervisor. Why would they, they can control their hours and essentially make as much $$ (certainly more than me) as they desire. With 9.5 language and 8 hr request, they have the best of both worlds.

Mr Ken

Note to supervisors..... Keep towel handy. The Brown you wipe off is not sweat!!!! And to my old supervisor ROB, To show respect you don't have suck up or stick you head up someones a**. Thankfully, I was only an hourly!

air1ups

Well said Ripplexx. Very few will call an ace an ace and a spade a spade. Or for that matter admit what UPS is really all about. Your a dying breed! I have 23 yrs as a friend/t driver. I see the down fall of Rome in the distance.....it's really sad.

I was a full time female "Fast Tracker". I held all operations rotations as a full time supervisor including Air and Feeders. I was told several that I belonged to UPS 24/7. I told them that there was not enough $$ in the world for a company to own me. Needless to say I am in wrongful termination case as we speak because I was told by my "division manager" that how I conduct myself in my personal life was unbecoming to his team. He will pay greatly for that comment. I was very good at what I did. Was able to see when I needed to stand up to upper management for my drivers and when the company was right I fought their battles. Needless to say the company thinks they are always right and my on road supervisor job was to just shut up and follow their plan. Upper management does not want forward thinkers. They want people who just do what their told. This is not leadership. I was promoted because I was sharp and different. But they quickly do their best to beat it out of you. The brown injection did not take in my veins. My boyfriend is a 17 year driver and loves what he does for a living. Should have stayed hourly:)

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
I was a full time female "Fast Tracker". I held all operations rotations as a full time supervisor including Air and Feeders. I was told several that I belonged to UPS 24/7. I told them that there was not enough $$ in the world for a company to own me. Needless to say I am in wrongful termination case as we speak because I was told by my "division manager" that how I conduct myself in my personal life was unbecoming to his team. He will pay greatly for that comment. I was very good at what I did. Was able to see when I needed to stand up to upper management for my drivers and when the company was right I fought their battles. Needless to say the company thinks they are always right and my on road supervisor job was to just shut up and follow their plan. Upper management does not want forward thinkers. They want people who just do what their told. This is not leadership. I was promoted because I was sharp and different. But they quickly do their best to beat it out of you. The brown injection did not take in my veins. My boyfriend is a 17 year driver and loves what he does for a living. Should have stayed hourly:)

I agree with a lot of what you are saying, but simply saying your conduct outside of work is unbecoming does not necessarily justify a wrongful termination suit. As a management employee, you can be terminated for any reason (or even no reason) as long as its not a violation of the law.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I agree with a lot of what you are saying, but simply saying your conduct outside of work is unbecoming does not necessarily justify a wrongful termination suit. As a management employee, you can be terminated for any reason (or even no reason) as long as its not a violation of the law.

I would think that she posted that as a summary of the situation as posting details would not be in her best interest in light of her pending litigation.

phoenix10

u are so right ups does not give a :censored2: about people between all the hours and stress i have had heart issues and nobody at the terminal realy gives a :censored2: i even had a supervisor tell me she would like to see me have a heart attack

u are so right ups does not give a :censored2: about people between all the hours and stress i have had heart issues and nobody at the terminal realy gives a :censored2: i even had a supervisor tell me she would like to see me have a heart attack

Troll...we have hubs and centers...we do not have terminals.

partizan

UPS Part time supervisor is worst postion ever. They treat you like you are full time mngmt but you make crap money, they always threaten you with losing your job, yet nobody wants to be a a PT/SUP. I Regreet becoming a PT/Sup 5 years ago. Once you stuck in operation there is almost no way out without serious connections in upper mngt. They treat you like crap, when you are running great numbers nobody cares nobody mentions anything. when you have one bad week in six months, they shove it down your throat. I have known PT/ sups who were great one of the best know more than Full time sup's yet they never had a chance to be promoted, so after 8 or 10 years they quit. I need to find a new job, because there is no hope. Every part time supervisor here at MESTX is depressed and hates their job, and i am being dead serious. The amount of stuff we have to deal with is insane how little they pay us. We get on avrg 20 to 30 cents raises a year. We also must memorize the OJS word for word, know ESTA know CSA ect always more crap and they never give you respect. If you are the best supervisor and do everything right, they will just use and abuse you and you will be stuck in that position until somebody actually wants you promoted, meaning you must be great great ass kisser. If you suck? they just keep moving you to diff positions in the HUB, til they find something you actually can do. Hence rewarding sorry supervisors vs good ones. I take pride and always give 100% at my job, but what you get in return is pathetic. PT/sups should have a union. We are nothing like upper mng "Full time" we have so much responsibility, but the pay is weak, and all our bonuses they took away including gain share checks. I know for a fact that 95% of part time sups wished they would have never done it. This is the only job where part time job, can make you miserable. Just like full time supervisors are all depressed and hate theyre life, but at least they get paid 3k+ per month not $1600.
One of my co PT/ Supervisors finally after being 10 years part time supervisor/ cover sup/ got moved to IE, same pay but OUT OF NIGHTMARE OPERATIONS. I have proved to be a great sup, but unless the district manager really likes you are not going anywhere. I thought about driving bu my odds are 1 in 5 vs union members so far no luck:( Every friday we have like 10 pt/sups who go to eat after work, we talk about mainly how screwed up mnmgt and the UPS system is. UPS is supposed to be one company. But its not. For example Feeder department and operational department are always at war, and each side is trying to screw the other. One thing i do not regret is, that at age 26 i learned the system, of corporations, and corruptions in their system. Your job is not to think or give out suggestions to UPS upper mngmt, its to shut your mouth and do what you are told, even if its proven not work. (oh the vrbal abuse is so true, upper mngt can talk to you like you are scum, and they get away with it on every level, because i have heard how sort mngers talk to full timers, and district mngers to sort managers and is like that from up to bottom, you are just a number, but thats not just UPS thats corporate america for you. Sooner or later i will leave the US and get out of dodge, because the banksters have already robbed us, and the system we live in is designed to make you a slave, til you die. Freedom is only option.

Last edited:

curiousbrain

UPS Part time supervisor is worst postion ever. They treat you like you are full time mngmt but you make crap money, they always threaten you with losing your job, yet nobody wants to be a a PT/SUP. I Regreet becoming a PT/Sup 5 years ago. Once you stuck in operation there is almost no way out without serious connections in upper mngt. They treat you like crap, when you are running great numbers nobody cares nobody mentions anything. when you have one bad week in six months, they shove it down your throat. I have known PT/ sups who were great one of the best know more than Full time sup's yet they never had a chance to be promoted, so after 8 or 10 years they quit. I need to find a new job, because there is no hope. Every part time supervisor here at MESTX is depressed and hates their job, and i am being dead serious. The amount of stuff we have to deal with is insane how little they pay us. We get on avrg 20 to 30 cents raises a year. We also must memorize the OJS word for word, know ESTA know CSA ect always more crap and they never give you respect. If you are the best supervisor and do everything right, they will just use and abuse you and you will be stuck in that position until somebody actually wants you promoted, meaning you must be great great ass kisser. If you suck? they just keep moving you to diff positions in the HUB, til they find something you actually can do. Hence rewarding sorry supervisors vs good ones. I take pride and always give 100% at my job, but what you get in return is pathetic. PT/sups should have a union. We are nothing like upper mng "Full time" we have so much responsibility, but the pay is weak, and all our bonuses they took away including gain share checks. I know for a fact that 95% of part time sups wished they would have never done it. This is the only job where part time job, can make you miserable. Just like full time supervisors are all depressed and hate theyre life, but at least they get paid 3k+ per month not $1600.
One of my co PT/ Supervisors finally after being 10 years part time supervisor/ cover sup/ got moved to IE, same pay but OUT OF NIGHTMARE OPERATIONS. I have proved to be a great sup, but unless the district manager really likes you are not going anywhere. I thought about driving bu my odds are 1 in 5 vs union members so far no luck:( Every friday we have like 10 pt/sups who go to eat after work, we talk about mainly how screwed up mnmgt and the UPS system is. UPS is supposed to be one company. But its not. For example Feeder department and operational department are always at war, and each side is trying to screw the other. One thing i do not regret is, that at age 26 i learned the system, of corporations, and corruptions in their system. Your job is not to think or give out suggestions to UPS upper mngmt, its to shut your mouth and do what you are told, even if its proven not work. (oh the vrbal abuse is so true, upper mngt can talk to you like you are scum, and they get away with it on every level, because i have heard how sort mngers talk to full timers, and district mngers to sort managers and is like that from up to bottom, you are just a number, but thats not just UPS thats corporate america for you. Sooner or later i will leave the US and get out of dodge, because the banksters have already robbed us, and the system we live in is designed to make you a slave, til you die. Freedom is only option.

Not reading a post devoid of grammar or spelling is another option.

anonymous4

Sorry brownbaggin but his post is worth the glance. I have good friends in supervision and witness/hear WORD FOR WORD what this man is saying. They are the best of the best in the building by a long shot. But do you know what? They get disrespected and enough really is never enough. I've seen some pretty disgusting things from upper management towards their PT supervision. Something has to be done but it won't. Very eery hearing "partizan" have the same complaints verbatim I listen to, and witness from people who went that route.

I have seen some of the best come and walk right out the door because they became so invaluable to the sort there was zero chance of promotion. Adults want careers, not play money for a job that requires full time dedication. I hear the things upper management says to the PT sups on the floor after terrible nights where "nice job" would do so much more than "you suck". I would spit right in the face of some of the looney's that reside in upper management here. Pathetic creatures the UPS culture has unleashed. A man that has your career in his hands can control you like a puppet. The pressure to do something impossible makes normal people become something disgusting if it means your career is over, or a nice session of demoralization from your superior is in order despite doing ALL YOU COULD.

It is tough to say if UPS decided morale was ultimately unimportant as you can rotate bodies faster than they leave. Or people just can't leave. To me that is what it appears. Supervisors are workers with more responsibility who have no protection in most buildings. I can't imagine one of the PT sups refusing to do union work while all the others slave away. I wouldn't see them again, that's for sure. How are your "numbers" real when you need to cheat to get them? They create a baseline that isn't reality.

Last edited by a moderator:

mac

i know how this guy feels , i am a team leader and everything thing he says is sooooo true......thinking of becoming a driver again

curiousbrain

Sorry brownbaggin but his post is worth the glance. I have good friends in supervision and witness/hear WORD FOR WORD what this man is saying. They are the best of the best in the building by a long shot. But do you know what? They get disrespected and enough really is never enough. I've seen some pretty disgusting things from upper management towards their PT supervision. Something has to be done but it won't. Very eery hearing "partizan" have the same complaints verbatim I listen to, and witness from people who went that route.

I have seen some of the best come and walk right out the door because they became so invaluable to the sort there was zero chance of promotion. Adults want careers, not play money for a job that requires full time dedication. I hear the things upper management says to the PT sups on the floor after terrible nights where "nice job" would do so much more than "you suck". I would spit right in the face of some of the looney's that reside in upper management here. Pathetic creatures the UPS culture has unleashed. A man that has your career in his hands can control you like a puppet. The pressure to do something impossible makes normal people become something disgusting if it means your career is over, or a nice session of demoralization from your superior is in order despite doing ALL YOU COULD.

It is tough to say if UPS decided morale was ultimately unimportant as you can rotate bodies faster than they leave. Or people just can't leave. To me that is what it appears. Supervisors are workers with more responsibility who have no protection in most buildings. I can't imagine one of the PT sups refusing to do union work while all the others slave away. I wouldn't see them again, that's for sure. How are your "numbers" real when you need to cheat to get them? They create a baseline that isn't reality.

The real point I was trying to make was drenched in sarcasm and subtlety; allow me the opportunity to be less vague: if you don't like the job as it is, quit; which, I might add, is the same thing countless managers and supervisors say to the union people. So, maybe hold yourself to the same standard? Don't like the way you are treated, can't handle the stress and/or pressure, don't want to battle your managers for what you think/know is right and will make the shift easier? Then don't; but don't sit there and tell those of us who do that this is the worst job ever, and that it's impossible, or any other number of things - all of which are excuses as to why you can't do your job.

curiousbrain

I'm not sure how telling someone their post is void of proper structure relates to a subtle hint to quit their job.

Again, I'll try not to be vague: if a person cannot formulate a proper argument as to why their (quasi)management job is terrible (which includes proper grammar, spelling, structure, etc). then why should they get the benefit of the doubt? No, rather, the post in question was a two paragraph run-on fiesta, which, truthiness aside, was a disgusting example of why no one should listen to it. If you want me to consider your post, take the time to create it properly.

So, here is what I'm saying: if you cannot adequately express your displeasure with your job in a coherent and thoughtful manner, why should anyone think you can express anything in a thoughtful and coherent manner? Hell, maybe you run up to your "manager who berates you" and blather about utter nonsense? Who is to know.

The onus is on those who cannot seem to structure their arguments in logical, concise ways - the onus is not on me to tell them why they are retarded.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Again, I'll try not to be vague: if a person cannot formulate a proper argument as to why their (quasi)management job is terrible (which includes proper grammar, spelling, structure, etc). then why should they get the benefit of the doubt? No, rather, the post in question was a two paragraph run-on fiesta, which, truthiness aside, was a disgusting example of why no one should listen to it. If you want me to consider your post, take the time to create it properly.

So, here is what I'm saying: if you cannot adequately express your displeasure with your job in a coherent and thoughtful manner, why should anyone think you can express anything in a thoughtful and coherent manner? Hell, maybe you run up to your "manager who berates you" and blather about utter nonsense? Who is to know.

The onus is on those who cannot seem to structure their arguments in logical, concise ways - the onus is not on me to tell them why they are retarded.
Because not everyone cares as much as you do with regards to grammar, sentence/paragraph structure and formulation, spelling?

What he/she is speaking is the truth from their POV, like it or not.

P.S. no one with half of a brain, or any true maturity, would say another is "retarded" as an insult or personal attack. You were complaining about
...you seemed to contradict yourself by not expressing your displeasure with another poster appropriately.. ;)...sad irony

curiousbrain

Because not everyone cares as much as you do with regards to grammar, sentence/paragraph structure and formulation, spelling?

What he/she is speaking is the truth from their POV, like it or not.

P.S. no one with half of a brain, or any true maturity, would say another is "retarded" as an insult or personal attack. You were complaining about
...you seemed to contradict yourself by not expressing your displeasure with another poster appropriately.. ;)...sad irony

I was out of line, and for that I am regretful; the venom I expressed was not meant for them, and was more an outgrowth of things outside this forum.

That being said, I still think the original post in question could have been formulated in a much more coherent manner. And, truth is obviously a matter of perspective, such that my truth is no more "real" than their truth; which, in some sense, makes any debate over truth irrelevant.

As far as my comment about being retarded: I, as stated earlier, regret it. I would reword it to the effect that so many part-time supervisors are bad at their job and crack under the pressure, that it is very easy for those of us that accomplish the job (as specified in our specific center/hub, obviously) to get very frustrated.

The obvious counterpoint to this is that the expectations vary wildly from center to center, and hub to hub; such that, in some center/hubs it is impossible for the part-time supervisors to accomplish their job at all. However, the main point I was trying (and failed totally, mind you) to express is this: in the same sense that "truth" is subjective and a matter of perspective, so is "trying hard" - maybe what person A regards as "trying hard" is what person B regards as average effort.

At some point, that varying perception of trying hard will generate enough friction that conflict will erupt.