Regretting management

UPSSOCKS

It's sad but true. From a union perspective I see how the full time management team is treated in my building and it's scary. I point to the stressed out zombies AKA fulltimers everytime a member asks me if they should go into management. I simply ask is that the life you want? And their decision is easy. In my building the Nassau hub management people are quitting and going out on stress leave left and right so they are begging people to go into management. These guys get verbally abused and embarrassed by there superiors all day long. They are forced to work like 14 hours a day with no overtime pay. It's no way to live. They aren't even allowed to call in an injury if they get injured I heard. I don't even know how ups legally gets away with it. I try to encourage all my members to take note of how miserable and stressed the management team in my building is before crossing the line. It's refreshing to see an actual management person make such a statement. Maybe you can save some of the people who are on the verge of being tricked into going into management. I'm not anti management. I don't think I'm better then you because I'm in the union. I'm anti ups management because I've seen first hand how they destroyed the lives of some great employees and feel nobody should be subjected to that kind of abuse. Even though I'm a union employee I've had some good bosses. And to see them stressed out and miserable day in and day out for things they can't even control made me have some compassion for them. For all you people thinking about making the move into management ask me about our management people. I would be glad to tell you about the medications they are on, the doctors visits, the stress, the working hours, the abuse, etc. Save yourself. Stay in the union.

Yes please do.. stay in the union... Join a weak local like 804...

deleted9

Not to be the downer.......but, we never know how long we have left............which is why I believe you should retire as soon as you can comfortably. Take your social security at 62, if you wait 'til 65, you may not get there....or worse, it may not be there anymore.

Good looking out, not to mention that after you hit the retirement age, you are working all week for about 35% of your wages, if you retire you are doing whatever you want and getting about 65% of your wages for staying home......

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
It's sad but true. From a union perspective I see how the full time management team is treated in my building and it's scary. I point to the stressed out zombies AKA fulltimers everytime a member asks me if they should go into management. I simply ask is that the life you want? And their decision is easy. In my building the Nassau hub management people are quitting and going out on stress leave left and right so they are begging people to go into management. These guys get verbally abused and embarrassed by there superiors all day long. They are forced to work like 14 hours a day with no overtime pay. It's no way to live. They aren't even allowed to call in an injury if they get injured I heard. I don't even know how ups legally gets away with it. I try to encourage all my members to take note of how miserable and stressed the management team in my building is before crossing the line. It's refreshing to see an actual management person make such a statement. Maybe you can save some of the people who are on the verge of being tricked into going into management. I'm not anti management. I don't think I'm better then you because I'm in the union. I'm anti ups management because I've seen first hand how they destroyed the lives of some great employees and feel nobody should be subjected to that kind of abuse. Even though I'm a union employee I've had some good bosses. And to see them stressed out and miserable day in and day out for things they can't even control made me have some compassion for them. For all you people thinking about making the move into management ask me about our management people. I would be glad to tell you about the medications they are on, the doctors visits, the stress, the working hours, the abuse, etc. Save yourself. Stay in the union.

I don't see any of these problems in my management team. Much like the drivers, they understand this is what they chose to do for a living and adjust their lives accordingly.

raceanoncr

Good looking out, not to mention that after you hit the retirement age, you are working all week for about 35% of your wages, if you retire you are doing whatever you want and getting about 65% of your wages for staying home......

Right now, with early Social Security, Pension checks, I am NETTING more per week than when I was working. Oh, sure, I know I'm not now contributing to 401, which I maxed out every check, not paying union dues, not buying stock, etc., etc., but I am "taking home" more now than was I working. Isn't that kinda what we want? More to live on each week or month?

And, again, for all the flamers that are gonna throw barbs at this, I KNOW I'm not GROSSING as much as I did. I am TAKING HOME more than I did. And, I might add, am having a blast doing it!

deleted9

Right now, with early Social Security, Pension checks, I am NETTING more per week than when I was working. Oh, sure, I know I'm not now contributing to 401, which I maxed out every check, not paying union dues, not buying stock, etc., etc., but I am "taking home" more now than was I working. Isn't that kinda what we want? More to live on each week or month?

And, again, for all the flamers that are gonna throw barbs at this, I KNOW I'm not GROSSING as much as I did. I am TAKING HOME more than I did. And, I might add, am having a blast doing it!

That is great - good for you enjoy

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

That is how it oughta be.

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
Couldn't agree with you more. 10 years ago, our center was a fun, hardworking place with management and hourly toiling side by side to grow the business and service the customers. It was " us" (management and hourly) vs "them" (the huge impersonal hubs down south). Then, slowly things starting changing. We used to average 6 grievances a year now we see 10 to 12 a month. All the fine on-road and center/district managers have retired. In their place are people just like the ones you describe. More than anything we drivers miss the big family, lets roll up our sleeves and get this done together, atmosphere. Before, grievances seldom went on paper....just a quick word and a handshake fixed things. Management held us and themselves accountable...........

I guess those days are gone forever.
So I thought to come by here just to see what all my fellow former UPSers are talkng about. When I was with UPS I held a few positions got promoted a bunch now I look back with disgust. Im a hard worker have been since im a little kid. I am intelligent, fair, goal orientated, will break my back to help others and do whats right.

I am sorry to say that UPS was a great disappointment. Without going into details I would like anyone who is considering a management job at UPS to really think about what they want in life. If all you care about is money and are willing to give your life and enjoyment for a few extra dollars then by all means make yourself rich and miserable. If you are a driver and you are thinking or being wooed into a fancy management position. This is all I will tell you and then you can make your own bed and sleep in it.

I loved my job my drivers were great. They worked hard for me and I worked hard for them. My numbers and performance were stellar at the least. My drivers were happy and I was miserable. The sad part is that I loved my job and I enjoyed what I did every day and I was good at it. But the lifestyle is miserable and the picture they paint is not as pretty once it right there infront of you.

Also the management people who post message on here are absolutly hysterical I love reading all the crap they spew out. Dont believe the cliches about hard work and challange and opportunity. Yes its all there, but when its all said and done its not worth the hell they will put you through.

UPS will really suck the life out of you if you actually care about anything. I know management in any business is about making money and keeping things running right. But that is not good enough for UPS. I took a center that was in shambles and made it good with the help of my DRIVERS! Unfortunately most but not all management could really care less about you or your life. What they do care about is your over-allowed hours and that about it. Now not to say that drivers shouldnt perform well but "alot" of reasons why "good" drivers perform poorly is cause management does not hold up their end of the bargain. I fixed and spent hours tracing routs and fixing all my drivers complaints (within reason) Obviously the needs of the business are important but management at UPS only worried about the bottom line and 99% could care less who they have to screw and step on in order to get there. Profit is important but treating people with respect and dignity is also important. Also management will let you belive that once you are "in" you are a "partner." Be careful if you do choose to take a management position your new partners are not your friends.

Bottom Line:
FT Union positions are the only jobs that are worth while in my opinion and that is under the assumption that you want to enjoy you life and not be a slave to the company. Management is great if you plan on being unhappy for 30 years and never seeing your wife or kids.

Unless you need to make alot of money and be a big shot stay where you are and enjoy every day. Drivers have great benefits and can retire very happy with alot of money.

fairday

Someone who wrote the truth, what a novelty. Remember this is a mega corporation. They are indeed ruthless with a good p r dept. Get what you can then get out !

Thank you for taking time to write your experience and feelings about your time in management. It was very insightful to read indeed. Don't regret your time you spent in UPS management, just be glad you are finally out of it instead.

Much blessings to you.

beentheredonethat

Where were you when RPS was for sale? Back in 99-2000 I heard management speak of the Fed-Ex purchase of RPS as an "inferiorty complex" and they needed to do it "save face with their express customers because they don't offer ground service"

It was no big deal 10 years ago when UPS management thought we were invincible. Now, Fed-Ex ground is opening new hubs and taking our packages. Who dropped the ball on this one? We are told to grow the business every day, and that's fine as I do what I can. Problem is if I get someone to switch to us its only a drop in the bucket.

I wanted corporate to grow the business. They have the money and influence to make significant changes. Why didn't they purchase RPS? If they did, our only competitor would be DHL and we all know how they run their operation. I might be able to snag a few parcels here and there through sales leads, but this accomplishes nothing. Eventually other customers leave UPS making my few parcel gain mute.

Yes, we need to grow the business, but drivers submitting sales leads are not going to cut it. We need help from the top.

For example, I left the building Friday at 915: 35 minutes after my start time. That gives me less than an hour to deliver my airs and not touch a ground package. At the same time, Fed-Ex ground is delivering at 7 AM, its a wonder why everyone doesn't use Fed-Ex? UPS = ground packages in the afternoon. Fed-Ex ground = packages in the morning. The FE ground driver is done my 1500. I still haven't taken lunch yet. Something needs to change!

Look at how Dish Network tried to buy DirectTV a few years ago. In most areas they have competition from cable. But they weren't allowed due to antitrust issues with becoming too dominent in one segment. That's for something that is a nice to have not a necessity. There's no way UPS would be allowed to buy RPS back then on antitrust concerns. However, if we were smarter we could have changed our pricing structure and to charge less but still be profitable on the business pkgs and keep thier marketshare very low so they couldn't compete. The government can't stop you from lowering prices so long as you show that you are profitable and aren't losing money in this segment to drive out competition.

pretzel_man

Look at how Dish Network tried to buy DirectTV a few years ago. In most areas they have competition from cable. But they weren't allowed due to antitrust issues with becoming too dominent in one segment. That's for something that is a nice to have not a necessity. There's no way UPS would be allowed to buy RPS back then on antitrust concerns. However, if we were smarter we could have changed our pricing structure and to charge less but still be profitable on the business pkgs and keep thier marketshare very low so they couldn't compete. The government can't stop you from lowering prices so long as you show that you are profitable and aren't losing money in this segment to drive out competition.

There was a very good video done when Oz Nelson was CEO. It was very candid and he talked about how the Management Committee blew it on RPS. This is before FedEx purchased them.

He basically said that we were fat and happy and didn't evaluate the threat from this competitor. At that time, we didn't understand our own cost structure. We were overcharging on some segments and undercharging on others. RPS undercut us on the lanes (B to B) where we were undercharging.

We changed our rate structure., put in the residential surcharge, got better at incentives, added hundredweight, etc.

Again, he admitted that we were way to slow to react.

Today, with every package they gain, their cost per package reduces. (More density). They have a huge cost advantage. They have an organizational advantage (RLA).

We need to capitalize on our strengths.....

We have better technology. An integrated network. We can offer services they cannot. AND, we have to keep our costs low.

BrownTie

The old UPS vs the new UPS? The old culture vs the new culture? Private vs. Public? Cannot figure why within the last 5 years, driver candidate to going management have simple vanished. Has the new UPS push away potential management candidate?

Dragon

Package Center Manager
The old UPS vs the new UPS? The old culture vs the new culture? Private vs. Public? Cannot figure why within the last 5 years, driver candidate to going management have simple vanished. Has the new UPS push away potential management candidate?

+10

RippleX482

Wow! So had some free time browsing around the web figures id have a look to see whats new. Surprised to see my post is still alive and well.

-local804guy4life
So i figured id confirm what you have heard.. I did get injured while working and the result was me needing to get a knee surgery. I was strongly pressured by multiple managers and division manager to not report my injury. In their own words I was told that "I shouldn't be a pusillanimous and act like a hourly." In hindsight I obviously know that I did the wrong thing. If I had to do it over again I should have reported it myself and dealt with the repercussions of doing so later. I would have been protected by law. I was also pressured to come back to work before my doctor would allow. I worked for 3 weeks nursing an injured knee because I felt a sense of pride and necessity in doing my job. Management knew I was working while hurt cause I was limping for 3 weeks awaiting surgery. I reported back to work 2 weeks after my surgery.. Unheard for my injury. Also my division manager said that I should have scheduled my surgery for a Friday. That way I could come back to work on Monday.. Unfreakingbelievable!

Since I left... 3 former partners have gone out on stress leave.. 2 others have left for greener pastures...Almost all of my partners were on some sort of anxiety or depression medication. Also as you stated earlier the verbal abuse that management people recieve from their superiors is just uncalled for. For a company that values integrity, and the well being of their employees I find all of this very disturbing. Getting results does not require speaking to people like they are garbage and making them feel inferior. Again as you said it is not all management. I also have alot of respect for some of the management people I have met in my time at UPS. I dont really know what else to say about this. Good luck to all of you that read this.