Religion

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickyb

a little ditty on the cross:

Dan, like his brother, Philip Berrigan, and his close friends Dorothy Day from the Catholic Worker Movement and Trappist monk Thomas Merton, led a life defined by the Christian call to bear the cross. This is the central call of the Christian life. It is one few Christians achieve. The bearing of the cross, in Christian theology, is counterintuitive. It says that the “the last shall be first, and the first last.” It demands nonviolence. It holds fast to justice. It stands with the oppressed, those who Dan’s friend, the Jesuit priest Ignacio Ellacuria, who was murdered by the death squads in El Salvador, called “the crucified people of history.” It binds adherents to moral law. It calls on them to defy through acts of civil disobedience and noncompliance with state laws, when these laws, as they often do, conflict with God’s law.

If you bear the cross, you often go to jail or, in Dan’s case, federal prison for 18 months, after he, his brother and seven other religious activists in 1968 burned 378 draft files of young men—most of them African-American—about to be sent to Vietnam. The activists had manufactured homemade napalm to set the documents on fire in garbage cans in the parking lot outside the building from which they took the files. - hedges

floridays

he sure as hell didnt die for you to do nothing
He died for me to reconcile me with his father, not any kind of political bs that you want to manipulate people with. I got it rickyb, you haven't been successful, you'd like to further a way to take more successful peoples cash away to benefit you.

rickyb

He died for me to reconcile me with his father, not any kind of political bs that you want to manipulate people with. I got it rickyb, you haven't been successful, you'd like to further a way to take more successful peoples cash away to benefit you.
thats nothing too.

thats like narcissism. youve got it totally wrong. but its interesting hearing it from someone doing it wrong.

rickyb

Bearing the cross is not about the pursuit of happiness. It does not embrace the illusion of inevitable human progress. It is not about achieving wealth, celebrity or power. It entails sacrifice. It is about our neighbor. The organs of state security—in Dan’s case, the FBI—monitor and harass you. They amass huge files on your activities. They disrupt your life. And in Friday’s homily, the Rev. Stephen Kelly, evoking laughter, welcomed the FBI agents who had been “assigned here today to validate that it is Daniel Berrigan’s funeral mass so they can complete and perhaps close their files.”

Bearing the Cross

rickyb

God died in your place, I'm telling you you have freedom from the debt of your sins if you choose to believe. I guess i'm through with my nothing.
talk is cheap.

the sooner you admit you've been doing religion wrong your whole life, the sooner you can throw up and let the old you die, so the new you can be reborn.

Last edited:

rickyb

This is the worst time of my long life,” he said when I interviewed him for The Nation magazine a few years ago. “I have never had such meager expectations of the system. I find those expectations verified in the paucity and shallowness every day I live.”

Yet he refused to despair. The cross, he knew, is carried even in the face of inevitable failure. This is the absurdity of faith. Martin Luther King Jr. repeatedly made reference to this reality of Christian life, saying, “When I took up the cross I recognized it’s meaning … The cross is something that you bear, and ultimately you die on.”

Bearing the Cross

MAKAVELI

Got news for you my friend, the cemetery is full of bones, the soul left long before a ceremony or burial occurred, but the grave will give up it's contents in that day. And the contents will live eternally. Make as much fun as you like. I got a hint for you Black Moses, at Calvary Jesus told one of the thieves, Today you'll be with me in paradise. And Jesus was seen, after death with a glorified body.
I guess to respond directly to your question, Yes each and every person will live in eternity, either life or damnation. Fact is buddy, the choice is up to you... personally. Can't hide behind a skirt or play the color game on this one. You've been served, you're under notice, April 1 2018, Easter.
So there was no heaven and hell before Jesus?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Jesus said that whoever came to him he would in no wise cast out,

What are Jesus commands?

Let's hope they don't include reading any of his teachings. In John 14:15 Jesus says "If you love me, keep my commands."

I'll list a few for your convenience:

Do to others what you would have them do to you. Matthew 7:12

But you are not to be called 'Rabbi,' for you have only one Master and you are all brothers. And do not call anyone on earth 'father,' for you have one Father, and he is in heaven. Nor are you to be called 'teacher,' for you have one Teacher, the Christ. The greatest among you will be your servant. For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted," (Matt 23:8-12 NIV)

You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven (Matt 5:14;16 NIV)

Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me,
(Matt 25:34-36 NIV)

My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you (John 15:12 KJV)

Just a few, feel free to read everything in red ink in Matthew, Mark, Luke or John to find the rest.

floridays

Let's hope they don't include reading any of his teachings. In John 14:15 Jesus says "If you love me, keep my commands."

I'll list a few for your convenience:

Do to others what you would have them do to you. Matthew 7:12

But you are not to be called 'Rabbi,' for you have only one Master and you are all brothers. And do not call anyone on earth 'father,' for you have one Father, and he is in heaven. Nor are you to be called 'teacher,' for you have one Teacher, the Christ. The greatest among you will be your servant. For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted," (Matt 23:8-12 NIV)

You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven (Matt 5:14;16 NIV)

Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me,
(Matt 25:34-36 NIV)

My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you (John 15:12 KJV)

Just a few, feel free to read everything in red ink in Matthew, Mark, Luke or John to find the rest.
I agree totally, the question then, if a human does these things, and I promise, I can give you a much longer list of Jesus's commands, can they gain eternal life?

Status
Not open for further replies.