Remember me?

CTOTH

Not retired, just tired
You all may remember me from 3 to 4 months ago when I was debating on quitting the local sort. I asked for your opinions and ultimately ended up leaving.
Guess what? I'm back and this time I got a job in a smaller center on the local sort and so far so good.
This time my problem isn't management, it's the union. I'm technically a re-hire in the eyes of UPS and I'm considered an active member in the eyes of the union.
Here goes with the question. Do I have to pay the difference of the two initiation fees for the union? IE...My old local had an initiation of $250 and dues consisted of $54 monthly. My new local has an initiation fee of $600 and dues of $27 monthly. Do I pay the $350 difference or should my withdrawl card waive that fee?

Thanks in advance
-Chris

CTOTH

Not retired, just tired
Off topic: I find it oddly unsettling that a thread entitled "Cornhole" gets more replies than one asking an honest question.

I talked to the shop steward and he didn't know but he seemed to think that I shouldn't be paying initiation again and gave me a number to call. I'll ring them tonight and see what they have to offer.

Just Lurking

A withdrawl card should cover you on intiation fees.

Which local has a $250 intiation fee? My understanding was that the international takes the most of the intiation fees and that amount was greater than $250.

bear123

don't take this personally CTOTH, but when I firts started, if you quit, there is no way you could ever come back--ever. they also didnt hire relatives--ever. now to show how desparate ups is for workers, they have broken this long standing policy. Also if someone was ever a no call-no show, he had better, i mean he had better had one hell of an excuse on why he didnt come to work the day before or he was taken out of service immediately.
as far as union dues, it was in 1977, 250 dollars initiation fee. Once you pay the initian fees then you had to pay the back pay of the union dues that would have started when you were first hired.

good luck on your second tour with ups.

jetset

pitch and toss
Pay to join the union, sounds like a right scam, here in the uk we pay 9Uk Sterling [Just over 5 USD] a week. Without me [and others like me] the union wouldn't exist. Thinking about it they should pay me a joining fee. You must get something for your initial fee.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
The Teamsters should pay us for joining. They will get their investment back many times over by the time we retire. I joined in '78, don't remember an initiation fee, but do remember a measly $55.00 check from them back in '97!:crying:

rod

Retired 22 years
Let me get this straight. You quit UPS and then they actually hired you back. Time to sell my stock. Sounds to me like you should be down on your knees thanking the union instead of doing the crybaby thing.

Dutch Dawg

rod said:
Let me get this straight. You quit UPS and then they actually hired you back. Time to sell my stock. Sounds to me like you should be down on your knees thanking the union instead of doing the crybaby thing.

I'm in the mood for a good chuckle rod. What's the punch line to this one?

CTOTH

Not retired, just tired
The union didn't get me a job. I moved, outside my local area, and my only option was to quit and try to get hired into another center.
That's what I did. I got the job on my own merit. In fact, Teamsters has never helped me with a gosh darn thing.
You can't transfer outside your local unless you are in school, that's the rule.

In reference to the crybaby remark: Isn't that what this board is for? Correct me if I'm wrong, but 90% of the thread here turn into how unfairly UPS treats it's emplyees so on and so forth.

P.S. Your stock sucks anyway, you probably should sell it.

CTOTH

Not retired, just tired
helenofcalifornia said:
Sounds like it's too hot in New Hampshire for you. Why did you go back to UPS if you don't like the company? And the stock is rock solid.
Woah, who said I didn't like the company? I wouldn't have gone back if I didn't like the company or the work.
I would've gotten in sooner if I could but my dad is a driver and they had the no relatives rule.
In my previous post I wrote that I had moved and YOU CANNOT TRANSFER UNLESS YOU ARE IN SCHOOL!!! I now live in Vermont and work at the White River center. I also happen to have a child on the way and the benefits are unbeatable.

And as for the stock, that's the whole reason the company is going down the {deleted by moderator} tube in the first place.

Just Lurking

CTOTH said:
...I would've gotten in sooner if I could but my dad is a driver and they had the no relatives rule...

Did your dad not tell "Rum. Run. Don't look back" or did you never see home during normal hours.
Seriously, why would someone that has seen how this company works over many years want their children employed at UPS.

CTOTH

Not retired, just tired
Just Lurking said:
Did your dad not tell "Rum. Run. Don't look back" or did you never see home during normal hours.
Seriously, why would someone that has seen how this company works over many years want their children employed at UPS.
Honestly, He ran a package car during the day and ran a feeder at night, and I never saw him. I only saw they wonderful things he'd buy for me at Christmas time and such. The roof he put over our heads and the vehicles he drove. All those things are things that a 20 something yearns for, so I figured it can't be that bad right.
Again, I'm not complaining. I just wanted to know if and how much I have to pay the union. That's it.

teamsterdan

ummm..... you state " Teamsters has never helped me with a gosh darn thing." and later go on to mention "the benefits are unbeatable".....I believe the union negotiates on our behalf for those benefits........ I wish you luck...