Remember this feeling when contract time comes

• Thread starter thisjobaintforeverybody
  • Start date

Inthegame

Our raises since 1997 have not advanced this profession money-wise, instead the annual raises have only served to keep up with inflation.

As far as our benefits go, they are also the same, or in many cases, worse than they were in 1997.
Hmmm...The pay rate on 7/31/97 was $20.25 which translates to $31.12 today. Our guys are making $35.99.

And gas cost 1.11 and a brand new car cost 13k. WDFD. He said it kept up with inflation, when you used to be able to earn an above average living.
WDFD? Thanks for the primer on inflation, but he said since 1997 raises haven't advanced this profession money-wise and raises have only served to keep "up" with inflation, which is inaccurate as wages in this unionized company have exceeded inflation by a fair amount (+15%). Most folks would agree that $36 bucks an hour is more than $31.

I didn't respond to the benefit issue as that varies across the country. In my experience, the benefit package in my local is superior today than it was in '97.

UPS FT's still earn an above average living, the main problem being the excessive/abusive time demands put on the workforce these days compared to '97.

There's plenty of insufficiencies in contracts post '97. Putting wages or benefits in those columns is a stretch.

Inthegame

I am curious how you arrived at those numbers, as I would assume inflation rates would play out differently, from area to area?
Googled "inflation calculator".
In the end, as I stated, any strike will not be about the pay for full time drivers, much like it wasn't in 1997.
We were industry leaders then, as we are now.

Many of the other talking points of the '97 strike are certainly relevant today, which was my point.

Do you disagree?
Nope, however the political climate has changed. The business friendly leaning Congress and specifically the Pres, adds a difficult dimension to any thought of a strike, which removes leverage from the union negotiators. Something I'm sure wasn't on the minds of the misinformed union members that voted last fall without thinking of the consequences.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Googled "inflation calculator".
Nope, however the political climate has changed. The business friendly leaning Congress and specifically the Pres, adds a difficult dimension to any thought of a strike, which removes leverage from the union negotiators. Something I'm sure wasn't on the minds of the misinformed union members that voted last fall without thinking of the consequences.
Hold on to that thought, as the Republic Party reels from current events, realizing that they are in serious jeopardy of losing their House and Senate majority in November, as well as the President moving closer and closer to impeachment proceedings with every lie and tweet he submits.

I believe we will soon see many Republicans start to turn on each other, in order to save their own political skin, as the party implodes.

What I do see removing even more leverage from the union negotiators than the political climate, is when those of them who are seated at the table ("Inthegame" if you will) project a fear or hesitancy to entertain the notion of a strike.

Hopefully, this time, they at least file the necessary paperwork to make the threat viable leverage.

Last edited:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I heard the supervisor who rode me constantly to go faster, had a tier 3 last night with a trainee.
Kinda hard not to gloat.
But i am above that.
Karma.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I heard the supervisor who rode me constantly to go faster, had a tier 3 last night with a trainee.
Kinda hard not to gloat.
But i am above that.
Karma.[/QUOTE
Yes, i will have a drink with that karma. No bosses were killed. I wonder if they got fired. Ill find out. Thats what they get for not asking me back for peak, hmmpph. Lol

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I dont wish hurt on anyone. But thats what happens when you dont drive in a proffesional manner. I worked as fast as safely possible. That was never enough. Think they will learn, ha! Not!. Waiting to hear. Did sup get fired?

rod

Retired 22 years
Kinda hard not to gloat.
But i am above that.
Karma.

Be careful. There are people on here who will accuse you of wishing harm to others:rolleyes: and then you will have to say you like turtles.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Be careful. There are people on here who will accuse you of wishing harm to others:rolleyes: and then you will have to say you like turtles.
Like i care? Lol. Neither got hurt, for that Iam happy. Was just hoping maybe it would be a wake up call that ups is driving people too hard.

I know silly thought. I got the word through the grapevine. Could be fake news