Remote start

over9five

Staff member
I have just thought that it would be nice to have a remote starter for my pick-up. It has power locks too, but no keyless entry (got it used, it may have had one).

Anyone put in a remote starter that also did keyless entry?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I have just thought that it would be nice to have a remote starter for my pick-up. It has power locks too, but no keyless entry (got it used, it may have had one).

Anyone put in a remote starter that also did keyless entry?

I have a remote start/keyless entry in my Dodge Caravan. I love it. During the winter, I turn the defroster and heat up to high before I shut the the engine off at night, and in the morning I use the remote start as soon as I get out of the shower. By the time I am dressed and heading out the door, the van is warm and the windows are fully defrosted.

I remember a 100 degree summer day when I had my dogs in the van with me. I went into a store and left them in the van with the doors locked and windows rolled all the way up...but with the remote I also had the engine running and the air conditioning going full blast. A well meaning lady saw me and, not knowing that I had left it running, she followed me into the store and loudly started chewing me out for leaving my poor dogs to suffer in a hot car. Rather than get angry, I thanked her for her concern and demonstrated the remote start for her. She apologized and even gave me a hug.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I think about this every winter, one of these days I'm actually going to do something about it...

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
I know someone who priced it out a few years ago, and by the time he bought the remote start and all the adapters and extra modules, it was cheaper to have it done (Chevy Tahoe).

over9five

Staff member
And that's what I've decided to do. My son took it down to Best Buy and got a "Viper 5101". About $200 installed.

Unfortunately, they're booked and can't do it for a couple of weeks.:sad-little:

I can wait.....

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
And that's what I've decided to do. My son took it down to Best Buy and got a "Viper 5101". About $200 installed.

Unfortunately, they're booked and can't do it for a couple of weeks.:sad-little:

I can wait.....

Let me guess, you will wait till august to call the air conditioner Guy????????????
:funny:

By the way viper is all I have ever had. make sure to get the two way or even if you are more high tech they have apps for your phone to unlock your car and start it, which takes place of the key fob.... Good luck... :wink2:

bigbrownhen

I had it on my car, it came with it, but it's a pontiac and it quit working. I loved rolling into the center last winter and starting it just as I was leaving my truck. Nice and warm by the time I got done with turn in and washing up before heading home. It started eating up the battery(not the car battery), and after a few batteries just let it go. Now I just unlock and start my car the old fashioned way. I have talked to a few other people with pontiacs and they have the same problem. I havent priced a replacement, just heard its rather pricey.

rod

Retired 22 years
I know its probably an isolated incedent but a friend of mine had Radio Shack install one 2 years ago in a brand new truck and he had nothing but trouble with all kinds of electronic crap in his truck after that. He never did get the bugs worked out of it. The dealer wasn't to keen on doing any warantee work either.

Mike57

Yes,
My car came with the keyless entry. I had the remote start/alarm added as a extra.I love it!
On cold day. as I drive thru the lot. I click the start,in a couple of minutes I walk out to my car, it's nice and warm. 1 thing here. If you have a manual transmission,you cann't put a remote start in for reasons, I'm sure you'll understand.

Mike57

Yes,
My car came with the keyless entry. I had the remote start/alarm added as a extra.I love it!
On cold day. as I drive thru the lot. I click the start,in a couple of minutes I walk out to my car, it's nice and warm. 1 thing here. If you have a manual transmission,you cann't put a remote start in for reasons, I'm sure you'll understand.
I would research your purchase to make sure that the installation of said equipment would NOT void any thing it shouldn't if you know what I mean...

over9five

Staff member
Let me guess, you will wait till august to call the air conditioner Guy????????????
:funny:

By the way viper is all I have ever had. make sure to get the two way or even if you are more high tech they have apps for your phone to unlock your car and start it, which takes place of the key fob.... Good luck... :wink2:

I saw that. I think it's a one way. What's the difference?

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
I saw that. I think it's a one way. What's the difference?

one way is send signal to car and start. two way is send signal to car and send back signal to remote that car is started. works also for the alarm part, if you have the two way it well send a signal telling you that something is wrong. i can't remember how far the signal can be sent buy for me it works..

over9five

Staff member
Crap, I like it so much I now have to get it for the other car.

Getting another Viper, but I'm going for the 2 way as User suggested.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Im sure one could be installed, but you would have to remember to leave the car in neutral every time you parked it.
Yeah, remember the Saabs you couldn't remove the key, unless it was in ...wasn't it reverse... that wouldn't work out too well. LOL

klein

Für Meno :)
Those remotes are awesome, and I sure wished I had one of those.

But, the negative side is : The price at the pump will get higher.

You know, at a grocery store at check-out, you start the car, or leaving a movie theater, etc.
Things that weren't possible without one.

Probably only adds up to 10-20 cents a start-up, but it does add up at the pump.