Residential or Business Stop?

moldsporh

Just what TurdF stated......plain and simple, no need to dispute it.

Needs posted business hours, parking spaces, public entrance....all 3 of those criteria.

Otherwise it's a resi.

upschuck

Always go to the source that creates the definition that the charges apply to. From UPS tariff:

"Residential refers to an address that is a home, including, but not limited to, a business operating out of a home. If an address can be construed as either Residential or Commercial, then it will be considered Residential."
This is absolutely correct, if anybody lives at said address, then is a residential. Don't care if they have 50 employees working out of their home or not.

oldngray

nowhere special
This is absolutely correct, if anybody lives at said address, then is a residential. Don't care if they have 50 employees working out of their home or not.

Not exactly true. Someone may live in a place with same mailing address. Such as another building on same property (or in another part of same building) or in apartments above a store. Different stops and one is commercial and the other is residential.

UPS wants to call every gray area residential if possible because they can charge more and easier commit times.

upschuck

Not exactly true. Someone may live in a place with same mailing address. Such as another building on same property (or in another part of same building) or in apartments above a store. Different stops and one is commercial and the other is residential.

UPS wants to call every gray area residential if possible because they can charge more and easier commit times.
They'd have apartment numbers then

moldsporh

I guess UPS sees this 2 ways, I believe the primary would be you need posted business hours, parking spaces, public entrance for a commercial stop.....whether they live there or not is another issue.

The criteria for a commercial stop needs to be met regardless.

rod

Retired 22 years
Tell them you are going to check at the local Zoning Office to see if they are zoned "Commercial". That would shut them up if they aren't. If they aren't zoned Commercial they would be shut down by the city.

oldngray

nowhere special
Tell them you are going to check at the local Zoning Office to see if they are zoned "Commercial". That would shut them up if they aren't. If they aren't zoned Commercial they would be shut down by the city.

Many areas are zoned for both.

barnyard

KTM rider
But it costs more in property taxes if you are zoned commercial/residential---at least around here it does. It can also affect your house resale value.

Huge difference in property taxes. Plus you cannot use Homestead tax rates. I never thought of asking how they are zoned. That would end many conversations very quickly.

rod

Retired 22 years
Huge difference in property taxes. Plus you cannot use Homestead tax rates. I never thought of asking how they are zoned. That would end many conversations very quickly.

I used that tactic a couple of times. Pissed them off but made me the winner. It always amazed me when some idiot would move up from the big city to a lake place, start a home business that was 10 miles off the beaten trail and then whine about not being delivered at 9 am and picked up at 5 pm.----what amazed me more was the idiot Customer Service rep who lead them to believe this could happen.

barnyard

KTM rider
I deliver to one of those very people on one of the routes that I cover. Moved from a city that my center covers to the country, almost out of my center's coverage area. He went from a 10a delivery 4:40p PU to on-route PU anywhere from 13:30-1500. He has an employee and the business is in a separate building from his house, but there is no signage and no posted hours. Turns out he moved so that he could transition to a pure mail order business with no walkin traffic.

Sheet as resi.

Overpaid Union Thug

Concerning apartment offices and left ats. If you tag the resis as such and the office as such (as we are supposed to) then the resi savers won't be late. I've done that plenty of times without getting dinged for a late resi saver.

rod

Retired 22 years
I deliver to one of those very people on one of the routes that I cover. Moved from a city that my center covers to the country, almost out of my center's coverage area. He went from a 10a delivery 4:40p PU to on-route PU anywhere from 13:30-1500. He has an employee and the business is in a separate building from his house, but there is no signage and no posted hours. Turns out he moved so that he could transition to a pure mail order business with no walkin traffic.

Sheet as resi.

Every once in awhile all of a sudden there would be a For Sale sign show up on one of these "move to the end of the world" places. It usually turned out that the city slicker wife got tired of living out in the sticks with "nothing to do" and insisted they move back to the big city. It was either that or a divorce.