Residential or Business Stop?

oldngray

nowhere special
Every once in awhile all of a sudden there would be a For Sale sign show up on one of these "move to the end of the world" places. It usually turned out that the city slicker wife got tired of living out in the sticks with "nothing to do" and insisted they move back to the big city. It was either that or a divorce.
green+acres.jpg

rod

Retired 22 years
You know who has never complained to me about this?

Farmers. Many of which have a seperate building with an office.

Farmers are a laid back bunch. The only thing they complain about is not making any money. I never met a farmer who admitted he was doing good --even though he had a nice new farmhouse, drove new vehicles all the time, had $$$$ worth of fancy equipment and every toy known to man.

barnyard

KTM rider
Every once in awhile all of a sudden there would be a For Sale sign show up on one of these "move to the end of the world" places. It usually turned out that the city slicker wife got tired of living out in the sticks with "nothing to do" and insisted they move back to the big city.

What I see most often is that they are not prepared for winter in the country. They have a 1/2 mile long driveway and no way to plow it and do not want to pay someone else to plow it. Plus how much extra time it takes to get some things done, like grocery shopping.

2 years ago, a new suburbanite got his car stuck halfway up his driveway. Did not want to pay the price to have it pulled out, so he left it till it melted enough to drive out. He moved that summer.

rod

Retired 22 years
What I see most often is that they are not prepared for winter in the country. They have a 1/2 mile long driveway and no way to plow it and do not want to pay someone else to plow it. Plus how much extra time it takes to get some things done, like grocery shopping.

2 years ago, a new suburbanite got his car stuck halfway up his driveway. Did not want to pay the price to have it pulled out, so he left it till it melted enough to drive out. He moved that summer.

Our area has lots of those types who wouldn't know which end of a snow shovel to hang on to. They usually have enough money to pay someone else to do it or move to their other million dollar winter home.

oldngray

nowhere special
Our area has lots of those types who wouldn't know which end of a snow shovel to hang on to. They usually have enough money to pay someone else to do it or move to their other million dollar winter home.

Someone should make a Youtube video. "Somalis On Ice"

rod

Retired 22 years
Someone should make a Youtube video. "Somalis On Ice"

You would sure think it would be cold enough to make them want to leave. Then again if I was getting free fuel assistance I would set the thermostat up to a hundred and leave the windows open too.

worldwide

I guess UPS sees this 2 ways, I believe the primary would be you need posted business hours, parking spaces, public entrance for a commercial stop.....whether they live there or not is another issue.

The criteria for a commercial stop needs to be met regardless.

No, UPS sees this as one way and it's stated below. UPS makes no mention of business hours, parking spaces or public entrance in their service guide or tariff. Can those things help you decide if it's commercial or residential? Perhaps, but at the end of the day, UPS makes the rule on the designation and this is the complete UPS policy:

"Residential refers to an address that is a home, including, but not limited to, a business operating out of a home. If an address can be construed as either Residential or Commercial, then it will be considered Residential."

No need to overthink this or put a personal interpretation on the rule - it's pretty clear.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That's a good way to get a residential saver to incorrectly show up as late. It's LA/res unless the package is addressed to the office.
Concerning apartment offices and left ats. If you tag the resis as such and the office as such (as we are supposed to) then the resi savers won't be late. I've done that plenty of times without getting dinged for a late resi saver.

Tag the pkgs as resis and the left at as comm. Won't show up as late.

10 point

Just what TurdF stated......plain and simple, no need to dispute it.

Needs posted business hours, parking spaces, public entrance....all 3 of those criteria.

Otherwise it's a resi.
UPS sets the rules, if someone lives at address, it is residential. Not a hard concept people.
This is absolutely correct, if anybody lives at said address, then is a residential. Don't care if they have 50 employees working out of their home or not.
You know who has never complained to me about this?

Farmers. Many of which have a seperate building with an office.
Tell them you are going to check at the local Zoning Office to see if they are zoned "Commercial". That would shut them up if they aren't. If they aren't zoned Commercial they would be shut down by the city.
They'd have apartment numbers then
It ABSOLUTELY has to have a different address from the address where someone lives to be considered Commercial stops.

And, in many cities you can get a "Conditional Use" group change if the area is zoned R2 (residential) when starting a business.

But the address must be different from the structure where someone lives...plus the other stipulations.

Grey

I had a law firm that was a house on a residential street between more houses. There was nothing in my board or on the pkg that indicated it was a business. It was after 5 when i del'd and nobody was there. Called the center and they said sheet as NI resi. Phew!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I had a law firm that was a house on a residential street between more houses. There was nothing in my board or on the pkg that indicated it was a business. It was after 5 when i del'd and nobody was there. Called the center and they said sheet as NI resi. Phew!

If the center considered the stop to be residential why didn't you DR the package?