Response,what’s the goal?

throwaway10

Response is a watered down version of what UPS does. Do deliveries, then run a PUP route. Stations, at least ours, were unprepared for the additional routes they needed to fill. They assumed the PM PT divers would jump at the chance to become FT.....run P2 and a PUP route........they were wrong. We've had 5 people, including 2 good swings, quit in the last month.
It is not like UPS at all. UPS has one driver that runs one area(sometimes some overlap for routes returning that pup on the way through)

Maui

Do you mean that the rumor you heard was that ops (as in couriers) might get a raise?
I mean the rumor I heard is that there will be a raise this year and that it will take into account the missed step from last year and this year. Also that there would be step progression (or whatever it might be called then) even when the overall raise pool is 2% or 3%. Expect some kind of announcement in the summer.

I haven't heard there will be a raise before October. I would like that though.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I mean the rumor I heard is that there will be a raise this year and that it will take into account the missed step from last year and this year. Also that there would be step progression (or whatever it might be called then) even when the overall raise pool is 2% or 3%. Expect some kind of announcement in the summer.

I haven't heard there will be a raise before October. I would like that though.
I sure hope you’re right. If not, I foresee a lot more people bailing. FedEx can’t last with this turnover of experienced people.

Star B

White Lightening
I sure hope you’re right. If not, I foresee a lot more people bailing. FedEx can’t last with this turnover of experienced people.
Why do you think their pushing the 'braindead' technology of turn by turn and the move to the LEOs? Everyone who's been born since '80 can deal with an android phone quite well.

DRA can be considered "braindead" technology also but I see that more as an opportunity to move forward and help operational efficiency. SSRA is more geared towards "braindead" than DRA because it doesn't do any balancing.

The only thing that made this job "extra difficult" as a driver was area knowledge and how to route yourself. Do not think for a second that I'm discounting physical fitness -- that's important too but the most important part of this job was the ability to gain area knowledge. That makes or breaks anyone.

Last edited:

Stat41

Some on here, including you, could get a $4 an hour raise and still bitch. You cant help it. It's who you are.
Operational needs was not "bitching" but pointing out a rational observation of what is likely to happen if employees are not being fairly compensated for their labor. Operational Needs was obviously concerned for the company and its workers. Fedex is making big money these days and it would be wise of them to share some of it with the people who earn it. Your comment was completely off the topic of the post.

Stat41

Why do you think their pushing the 'braindead' technology of turn by turn and the move to the LEOs? Everyone who's been born since '80 can deal with an android phone quite well.

DRA can be considered "braindead" technology also but I see that more as an opportunity to move forward and help operational efficiency. SSRA is more geared towards "braindead" than DRA because it doesn't do any balancing.

The only thing that made this job "extra difficult" as a driver was area knowledge and how to route yourself. Do not think for a second that I'm discounting physical fitness -- that's important too but the most important part of this job was the ability to gain area knowledge. That makes or breaks anyone.
You are so right! Regardless of the technology, there is NO substitute for area knowledge. Most of the technology these days will tell you how to get there, but cannot show you where you are.

Flaco50

You are so right! Regardless of the technology, there is NO substitute for area knowledge. Most of the technology these days will tell you how to get there, but cannot show you where you are.
In rural Colorado - sometimes even in town routes - often the "technology" would put you MILES away from the actual address

Fergus Mahoney

Operational needs was not "bitching" but pointing out a rational observation of what is likely to happen if employees are not being fairly compensated for their labor. Operational Needs was obviously concerned for the company and its workers. Fedex is making big money these days and it would be wise of them to share some of it with the people who earn it. Your comment was completely off the topic of the post.
Any rational human knew what Operational Needs was saying.. Don't talk sense to that prick. He's blinded by the past and angry with what the future brings. Sad old man set in his boomer ways.

It will be fine

Then you guys have bad tech. The apps ground contractors use can set the gps markers at the exact door of the stops. Leave notes that pop up when the driver is at the stop telling them where to go inside the stop, etc.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Then you guys have bad tech. The apps ground contractors use can set the gps markers at the exact door of the stops. Leave notes that pop up when the driver is at the stop telling them where to go inside the stop, etc.
There is no substitute for route knowledge.

Sorry, but thanks for playing.

Star B

White Lightening

Ours doesn't do the door marker but if another crr puts in stop notes it pops up for us too.

vantexan

I makes little to no difference these days. I’m sure old people that haven’t been in the industry for years believe it’s super important but it’s really not anymore.
While they can get to where needed if they are taking the time to speak addresses then look at map it will never be as efficient as someone who knows their rt and just drives to next stop after glancing at address. You get to where you can visualize the street, even the house, unless of course you depend on a crutch to do it for you. Constantly following directions instead of looking at the neighborhood as you drive through means you miss a lot. But it is great for a swing driver who's not familiar. Even then, as a swing in olden days, you learn a lot of routes the good old fashion way.

It will be fine

While they can get to where needed if they are taking the time to speak addresses then look at map it will never be as efficient as someone who knows their rt and just drives to next stop after glancing at address. You get to where you can visualize the street, even the house, unless of course you depend on a crutch to do it for you. Constantly following directions instead of looking at the neighborhood as you drive through means you miss a lot. But it is great for a swing driver who's not familiar. Even then, as a swing in olden days, you learn a lot of routes the good old fashion way.
Nope. The apps are like a dry erase map with the stops plotted except the plots are exact and there are notes for any confusing stops. Route knowledge makes hardly any difference.

Aquaman

Some on here, including you, could get a $4 an hour raise and still bitch. You cant help it. It's who you are.
When you’re $7/hr away from where you SHOULD be... ya $4 won’t cut it. Idc what obstacles the company faces year after year. That’s called being in business. The fact is Express could afford to pay its drivers UPS money. They just don’t have a union to force them to budget for it. Everything else comes before compensation. And they’re dealing with the consequences now with hiring.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
When you’re $7/hr away from where you SHOULD be... ya $4 won’t cut it. Idc what obstacles the company faces year after year. That’s called being in business. The fact is Express could afford to pay its drivers UPS money. They just don’t have a union to force them to budget for it. Everything else comes before compensation. And they’re dealing with the consequences now with hiring.
They'll find out that karma is a fickle bitch only when it's too late.