Retailers going out of business, good for UPS?

Fnix

Is it good news when big box retailers go out of business for UPS? Circuit City is going out of buisness now. This means more stuff will be shipped online. But at the same time those jobs lost will mean less people spending on things period.

I notice that almost every Large TV that comes through UPS Ground is damaged. This is very bad at a time like this when alot of people are buying online. It ruins our reputation!! UPS should design a better system for these large televisions. Is UPS paying all these claims? I am suprised distributors still offer UPS ground for televisions.

backinbrown

respect my authority
Is it good news when big box retailers go out of business for UPS? Circuit City is going out of buisness now. This means more stuff will be shipped online. But at the same time those jobs lost will mean less people spending on things period.

I notice that almost every Large TV that comes through UPS Ground is damaged. This is very bad at a time like this when alot of people are buying online. It ruins our reputation!! UPS should design a better system for these large televisions. Is UPS paying all these claims? I am suprised distributors still offer UPS ground for televisions.

Isnt it nice del 40" t.v. and having boot marks on the box

Dizzee

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
Isnt it nice del 40" t.v. and having boot marks on the box

I was on Tiger Directs' website one day checking out large screen TVs. Each TV has its own photo gallery where you can see different views (front, back, side, etc) of the TV. One of the photos was the TV in the carton. It had bootprints all over it. My first thought was, We'll get blamed for that".

Good,because someone living near a shuttered CC may now order online. Bad,because CC sold online also and now is providing a shipper that many less boxes.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I've seen many plasma tvs after the explosion, shattered glass everywhere.
Most of the damage comes from the fact that the boxes used for shipping were not meant for our system, there were designed for bulk delivery to a store.

UPSNewbie

I've seen many plasma tvs after the explosion, shattered glass everywhere.
Most of the damage comes from the fact that the boxes used for shipping were not meant for our system, there were designed for bulk delivery to a store.

That's what I figured. I've seen many of the TV boxes during unload. Makes me cringe every time.

To answer your thread title question. No it isn't good for UPS or anyone else (except maybe their competitors) for any retailer to go out of business.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
A few people I know look online for deals on those tv's. I tell them how I would never buy online because that would mean it was getting shipped by us most likely. I cringe at these tv's in my truck. Crumpled corners, ripped handles on the sides, pointed jabs from conveyor belt traffic.

I bought my 2 flat-panel Tv's from Circuit City, with the delivery I knew they were not going to be damaged on route. Or at least I could see it when they dropped it off. Easier and faster to replace.