Retired Feeders? Do you keep your CDL up?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
It sounds to me like it only applies to when you're on duty:

§382.201 Alcohol concentration.

No driver shall report for duty or remain on duty requiring the performance of safety-sensitive functions while having an alcohol concentration of 0.04 or greater. No employer having knowledge that a driver has an alcohol concentration of 0.04 or greater shall permit the driver to perform or continue to perform safety-sensitive functions.

[66 FR 43103, Aug. 17, 2001, as amended at 77 FR 4483, Jan. 30, 2012]

twoweeled

It sounds to me like it only applies to when you're on duty:

§382.201 Alcohol concentration.

No driver shall report for duty or remain on duty requiring the performance of safety-sensitive functions while having an alcohol concentration of 0.04 or greater. No employer having knowledge that a driver has an alcohol concentration of 0.04 or greater shall permit the driver to perform or continue to perform safety-sensitive functions.

[66 FR 43103, Aug. 17, 2001, as amended at 77 FR 4483, Jan. 30, 2012]
I personally have never found the specifics on that , but I have always heard that. I'm guessing someone else will chime in.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
This is straight from the Virginia DMV website:
DUI Commercial Driver’s License Suspensions
You may be charged with driving under the influence (DUI) in Virginia if you:
  • Operate a commercial vehicle in Virginia with a BAC of 0.04% or higher.
  • Test positive for driving under the influence of drugs.
  • Refuse a blood/breath blood alcohol concentration (BAC) test.
Your state may be different, but at least here the lower BAC doesn't apply if you're off duty and driving your own vehicle.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I always assumed that the lower BAC only applied when you were actually driving a commercial vehicle, am I wrong about that?
I was told it did not matter if you were driving a 4 wheeler or a truck. the bac for a cdl holder is still .04.( maybe California law )

we were told at UPS that there was zero tolerance for BAC. maybe just my hub.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I was told it did not matter if you were driving a 4 wheeler or a truck. the bac for a cdl holder is still .04.( maybe California law )

we were told at UPS that there was zero tolerance for BAC. maybe just my hub.

I never took at chances . Had my birthday off and had a steak and 2 beers . manager called me up to cover a run and I said NO> he said i had no choice because I was last person left.

I said NO. He said by the time i started it would be 3-4 hours and I was good to go.

I said NO.

He said if I didn't cover the run he would have too.

I said "have fun, I can't do it." I'm not risking my CDL>

He was furious but couldn't do anything about it. Just another enemy made for the next 20 years.

Oh, well. "It's your party , boss."

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I never took at chances . Had my birthday off and had a steak and 2 beers . manager called me up to cover a run and I said NO> he said i had no choice because I was last person left.

I said NO. He said by the time i started it would be 3-4 hours and I was good to go.

I said NO.

He said if I didn't cover the run he would have too.

I said "have fun, I can't do it." I'm not risking my CDL>

He was furious but couldn't do anything about it. Just another enemy made for the next 20 years.

Oh, well. "It's your party , boss."
§382.207 Pre-duty use.
No driver shall perform safety-sensitive functions within four hours after using alcohol. No employer having actual knowledge that a driver has used alcohol within four hours shall permit a driver to perform or continue to perform safety-sensitive functions.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
§382.207 Pre-duty use.
No driver shall perform safety-sensitive functions within four hours after using alcohol. No employer having actual knowledge that a driver has used alcohol within four hours shall permit a driver to perform or continue to perform safety-sensitive functions.
well, you know how ups is. whatever they can get away with.

twoweeled

well, you know how ups is. whatever they can get away with.
All rules were subject to change, according to the circumstances. The hours deal was laughable. breaks count, breaks don't count. 60 hours, or 62.5 hours? Behind the window, only from LV to TA behind the window? Extenuating circumstances, like weather? Maybe like weather - it depends! Traffic Extenuating circumstances? Maybe, we'll let you know. That 52' is too heavy, I need a twin screw. Aahhh, no you don't. It's local. Then when the poop hits the fan. "who told you that"? "That isn't true!" All those hard clear firm rules were like Taffy for management.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
All rules were subject to change, according to the circumstances. The hours deal was laughable. breaks count, breaks don't count. 60 hours, or 62.5 hours? Behind the window, only from LV to TA behind the window? Extenuating circumstances, like weather? Maybe like weather - it depends! Traffic Extenuating circumstances? Maybe, we'll let you know. That 52' is too heavy, I need a twin screw. Aahhh, no you don't. It's local. Then when the poop hits the fan. "who told you that"? "That isn't true!" All those hard clear firm rules were like Taffy for management.
you sound like a person with experience, haha

you know what the sad thing is? I worked for almost 20 years for all kinds of companies and then when I got this job the first thing I thought was "Now I can work for a company with integrity."

all the companies I worked for previously always cheated , always tried to get away with something, always was shortchanging their employees. the whole world was corrupt.

then i got this job with UPS and I thought it was all gonna change. Now I am working for a good company. An honest company , well respected the world over.

Then I found out the truth. Pretty fast too. And It was sad and disappointing to learn that UPS was just like the rest.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
tried to renew CDL today.

but starting may 10th, 2017 you have to bring your birth cert. or passport, and utility bills to prove residency.

nowhere in my renewal letter from the DMV stated this.

all they said was "sorry, you will have to come back with these documents."

maybe the idiots at the dmv helped make up my mind on keeping my cdl.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
tried to renew CDL today.

but starting may 10th, 2017 you have to bring your birth cert. or passport, and utility bills to prove residency.

nowhere in my renewal letter from the DMV stated this.

all they said was "sorry, you will have to come back with these documents."

maybe the idiots at the dmv helped make up my mind on keeping my cdl.

Doesn't seem like that big a deal to me

I dunno....

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
there was nothing on the renewal paperwork stating these new requirements that just changed on the 10th. I filled out the form and it said I did not have to take any written tests since i have a clean driving record. All I had to do ( from their letter) was to take picture, eye test , and fingerprint.

nothing written about bringing in birth cert. or passport.

what am I? a mind reader?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
there was nothing on the renewal paperwork stating these new requirements that just changed on the 10th. I filled out the form and it said I did not have to take any written tests since i have a clean driving record. All I had to do ( from their letter) was to take picture, eye test , and fingerprint.

nothing written about bringing in birth cert. or passport.

what am I? a mind reader?

Thought you were a stripper