Retired Feeders? Do you keep your CDL up?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
tried to renew CDL today.

but starting may 10th, 2017 you have to bring your birth cert. or passport, and utility bills to prove residency.

nowhere in my renewal letter from the DMV stated this.

all they said was "sorry, you will have to come back with these documents."

maybe the idiots at the dmv helped make up my mind on keeping my cdl.

well, renewed CDL but hopefully won't ever need it again. only took 2 hours and there was only 7 people in front of me. after 40 minutes left and got a subway sub, then got some groceries and when I got back 30 minutes later they had only helped 3 people so didn't miss my place.

right now only CDL holders have to have a birth cert. and/or passport and proof of residency but soon every license holder will have to do this.

good.

i still HATE the dmv.

fedx

Extra Large Package
Hate sounding like a boozer, but I did away with mine very quick. DUI is .04 with and .08 without. GONE!!! like the wind
It's .04 if you're driving a commercial vehicle. It's not .04 in your personal vehicle if you have a CDL. Personal vehicle is .08 whether or not you have a CDL. I asked the DOT about it. I know they make it sound like it's .04 in your personal vehicle, but it's not.

fedx

Extra Large Package
well, renewed CDL but hopefully won't ever need it again. only took 2 hours and there was only 7 people in front of me. after 40 minutes left and got a subway sub, then got some groceries and when I got back 30 minutes later they had only helped 3 people so didn't miss my place.

right now only CDL holders have to have a birth cert. and/or passport and proof of residency but soon every license holder will have to do this.

good.

i still HATE the dmv.
"soon every license holder will have to do this".........except illegal aliens. They are above the law. It will be "racist" or "mean" or "a burden" on illegal aliens, so they won't need to prove their citizenship-only American citizens will have that extra hassle placed on them. Think I'm joking? Stuff like that already is happening. At some airports, illegal aliens don't have to show any ID to board a plane while Americans get the 3rd degree pat down. It's total BS!

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
"soon every license holder will have to do this".........except illegal aliens. They are above the law. It will be "racist" or "mean" or "a burden" on illegal aliens, so they won't need to prove their citizenship-only American citizens will have that extra hassle placed on them. Think I'm joking? Stuff like that already is happening. At some airports, illegal aliens don't have to show any ID to board a plane while Americans get the 3rd degree pat down. It's total BS!
Loosen up that tin foil hat brother.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
It's .04 if you're driving a commercial vehicle. It's not .04 in your personal vehicle if you have a CDL. Personal vehicle is .08 whether or not you have a CDL. I asked the DOT about it. I know they make it sound like it's .04 in your personal vehicle, but it's not.
I wouldn't bet my career on that. The CHP at the scales told me if you hold a CDL the bac is .04 whether you are driving a commercial vehicle or your personal car.

even if he is wrong , why take the chance? having a cdl for 36 years now , it is second nature for me never to drink and drive and if i do have a drink I wait several hours before getting behind the wheel. I usually schedule my drinking knowing that i will not have to drive at all.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Stupid question:

Do CDL holders also have a "regular" driver's license? If so, which one do you show to the cops if you are pulled over in your personal vehicle?

twoweeled

Maybe you're correct. I have yet to "read" anything definitive saying exactly that. I have asked more than one law enforcement including chippy's. I have yet to have an officer tell me he's 100% certain it's only in your tractor. More often I'm told, when they get your license and see you're a commercial driver, that's what they go by. Doesn't matter what you're driving. But like I said, I've never read anything clearly stating it's only when,,,,,

fedx

Extra Large Package
Maybe you're correct. I have yet to "read" anything definitive saying exactly that. I have asked more than one law enforcement including chippy's. I have yet to have an officer tell me he's 100% certain it's only in your tractor. More often I'm told, when they get your license and see you're a commercial driver, that's what they go by. Doesn't matter what you're driving. But like I said, I've never read anything clearly stating it's only when,,,,,
It's definitely something you could fight and win if they tried to pull some BS with some "law" that they just made up on their own. Unless it's in a state law (which it isn't) they would have to throw it out. Don't get me wrong, they might try to arrest you because the government is craving money. They might try to shake down someone, but it would never stick in a court room.

fedx

Extra Large Package
I wouldn't bet my career on that. The CHP at the scales told me if you hold a CDL the bac is .04 whether you are driving a commercial vehicle or your personal car.

even if he is wrong , why take the chance? having a cdl for 36 years now , it is second nature for me never to drink and drive and if i do have a drink I wait several hours before getting behind the wheel. I usually schedule my drinking knowing that i will not have to drive at all.
If they can't pull up a state statute stating it's .04 in a personal vehicle, it doesn't hold. There is no reason for a CDL to affect your personal vehicle. Why don't we pay CDL rate insurance on your personal vehicle since you're have a CDL? They might try to pull some BS about .04, but it would never hold up in court if they can't find a state code stating what they are claiming.

On a different note, you should keep your CDL. You've made big bucks driving feeders for UPS, so it's not like you're homeless and debating to keep it or buy groceries for this month. You never know if you might want or need it down the road. If you cancel it and then decide later you wish you kept it, you'll have to go through all the BS of obtaining it again at the DMV. Not worth it. Just keep it-you earned it.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
If they can't pull up a state statute stating it's .04 in a personal vehicle, it doesn't hold. There is no reason for a CDL to affect your personal vehicle. Why don't we pay CDL rate insurance on your personal vehicle since you're have a CDL? They might try to pull some BS about .04, but it would never hold up in court if they can't find a state code stating what they are claiming.

On a different note, you should keep your CDL. You've made big bucks driving feeders for UPS, so it's not like you're homeless and debating to keep it or buy groceries for this month. You never know if you might want or need it down the road. If you cancel it and then decide later you wish you kept it, you'll have to go through all the BS of obtaining it again at the DMV. Not worth it. Just keep it-you earned it.

1. i'm going by what the dot told me at the scales.

2. yes, i renewed my cdl just for the reason you stated.