Retired UPS Management willing to answer all questions that you are are afraid to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldMan

Assuming you made to/past center manager level, how much are your hands tied as to spc, and number of routes, and did that burn your butt if it were tightly? And what is the logic behind that?
To be honest your SPC is dictated by the DM. Yes, it did burn my butt if my hands were tied to tightly and I knew the logic behind it was to cut cost and increase productivity but that did not mean I agreed with it.

OldMan

How come my stop count range on my route goes up every year?

Same route used to run 102-110 a day and now (6 years later) 124-132.

Use to do it in under 9 hours a day, now 9.4 to 11 hours.

I know I could grieve excessive overtime, but it's not a huge deal anymore wirh my kids grown up.

Just want to know who is raising my stop count every year and why?
Your supervisor sets your stop count to what he believes you will be the most effective at. I would advise you to discuss it with him. If he is any good at his job he will dispatch you accordingly.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

To be honest your SPC is dictated by the DM. Yes, it did burn my butt if my hands were tied to tightly and I knew the logic behind it was to cut cost and increase productivity but that did not mean I agreed with it.

Did you ever say "screw SPC" and dispatch based on your experience?

OldMan

In your experience, has the culture of open discussion about changing something that clearly hasn't worked in practical applications been met with hostile reactions? Point in case, ORION reports that we focus on don't give an accurate representation of the program, instead to meet the metric of the week( first stop, all NDA in trace, miles, trace in general). Has the upper management been so fearful of admitting when mistakes are made that they are out to protect their jobs (self preservation) even at the cost of the company or lower members of management?
The quick answer to your question is Yes. Before UPS went public in the late 90's a management person had much more flexibility in making decisions. Computers were used as something to reference not as Gospel. Now upper management feels that you aren't capable of making any decisions. The truth is there are people on the board that have no idea what the real world is like and don't seek input from the people that actually have great idea's to improve productivity & lower cost. And yes, Lower management is too afraid to make a decision on their own for fear of losing their jobs. This is just my opinion based of my experiences through the years at UPS.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I just recently retired from Management at UPS. My way of giving back will be to answer any questions you may have about Management or UPS in General. If I don't have the answer I have many retired friends I can consult. I will check for questions at night and post answers the following day if possible.

What positions have you held ?

How many years, and your age at retirement ?

-Bug-

upschuck

Division manager or District manager? Did you want more control, and responsibility that came with it?

OldMan

Does upper management think most hourlies are pos'?
No, In my experience there were very few hourlies that I considered POS and probably not for the reasons you think. I had to depend on these people to make me look good. I have many friends that are hourlies.

upschuck

No, In my experience there were very few hourlies that I considered POS and probably not for the reasons you think. I had to depend on these people to make me look good. I have many friends that are hourlies.
You sound like a fair one, but I'm talking about district level and up.

Status
Not open for further replies.