Retirement age for insurance?

Ms.PacMan

In the new contract...

Can you purchase insurance if you retire early, like in the 20 and out for $2000.

I know some are covered by UPS insurance and some will have Teamster insurance. I will have UPS insurance but I'm sure there are people reading on flip side with Teamster insurance that have the same questions.

Does anyone know the answer to this?

Edit: I did try a search for this answer and keep getting hung up on the 4 word minimum search requirement.

Last edited:

Ms.PacMan

Thanks Brownmonster. I am in CS and here we have UPS insurance. What about the 25/30 and out at any age- does insurance come with that regardless of age?

O

oldupsman

Ms. PacMan,
I just recently retired with UPS health care. You must be at least 50 years of age. If you retire before 50 you are out of their system and can not purchase it later. I'm currently paying 50.00 a month but recently received a letter telling me it would increase to 115.00 a month as of Jan 1, 2008. You can purchase their health care until you are 65. At that time you're on your own. Now you may keep your spouse on the plan if they are younger than you. Example: When I turn 65 my wife will be 63. I may keep her on the plan for the same price for 2 more years until she turns 65.

WhatsUP

I dont know why Central States does not let the people with a " 25 and out " pension buy Health Insurance until you reach 55 ( under new proposed contract) I think once you retire you should be able to get insurance at any age!!!!!
:confused:1 :confused:1 :confused:1 :confused:1

ups79

Ms. PacMan,
I just recently retired with UPS health care. You must be at least 50 years of age. If you retire before 50 you are out of their system and can not purchase it later. I'm currently paying 50.00 a month but recently received a letter telling me it would increase to 115.00 a month as of Jan 1, 2008. You can purchase their health care until you are 65. At that time you're on your own. Now you may keep your spouse on the plan if they are younger than you. Example: When I turn 65 my wife will be 63. I may keep her on the plan for the same price for 2 more years until she turns 65.

What local are you in? Your health plan for you and your spouse sounds like the one we have through 710. I have not recieved such a letter saying the insurance is going up.
One thing, don't go for a physical or have preventive lab tests done. You will find yourself paying the entire bill. Seems the insurance is only good if you are sick or they find something wrong with you as a result of the lab tests.

Ms.PacMan

Ms. PacMan,
I just recently retired with UPS health care. You must be at least 50 years of age. If you retire before 50 you are out of their system and can not purchase it later. I'm currently paying 50.00 a month but recently received a letter telling me it would increase to 115.00 a month as of Jan 1, 2008.

That's what I always heard- at least 50 years of age with at least 20 years of service allowed you to purchase the insurance after retiring until Medicare kicked in at 65.

Our retirees are reporting the same increase letter.

I dont know why Central States does not let the people with a " 25 and out " pension buy Health Insurance until you reach 55 ( under new proposed contract) I think once you retire you should be able to get insurance at any age!!!!!
:confused:1 :confused:1 :confused:1 :confused:1

This is the rumor but I have not been able to find it in writing and our local is useless.

I will be 52 at 25 years. Our center has many drivers who will be under 55 with 30 years of service. This may seem odd to people in some parts of the country but UPS has been in some states for barely more than 30 years.

Is this spelled out in the National or the C.S. Supplement?

O

oldupsman

ups79
I'm in local 384, that's in the Philly suburbs. I've gone for a yearly physical for the past 10 years. EKG, blood work, the whole 9 yards. Have never paid a dime for it. Had my last one last Feb. Plan on going again this year. As far as the letter goes, I get together with a group of retiress every so often for breakfast. Some have recieved the letter, some haven't. Doesn't seem to be any pattern on why some have and some haven't.

iam

MS. Pacman...Go to UPSers.com and look under the life and career tab. Follow to the health care tab, to directory of benefits. This will take you to a new window. Enter ss# and follow to summary plan description. This will tell you every thing you need to know about your UPS health care.

wornoutupser

You must be kidding! What are you covered under?

Central States would bounce that bill to the moon and back and laugh all the way to the bank while you cried!

They will not pay ANYTHING unless you are sick- and then they try to fight that as well. Yes, I have a horrible opinion about Central States but believe me, they almost put me in bankruptcy court before I finally won a major bill against them.
As an example- they will pay for a pap smear (now) but the doctors in Florida no longer use it. They prescribe the HPMV test instead. Central REFUSES to pay for this, even though it is vastly superior to the older pap. The money they save alone is staggering through early detection, yet they refuse to pay. I have more horror stories against Central than I can type all night- who wants to hear more?