Retiring January 1st

trickpony1

Some supplements don't offer retiree healthcare

...then why would they offer insurance to a spouse than never paid a penny in and never did a minute of union labor.

My friend seems accurate when he said. "when you retire the union drops you like a hot potato. They couldn't care less about someone who paid in for 30+ years but they seem to care about my wife.".

...then why would they offer insurance to a spouse than never paid a penny in and never did a minute of union labor.

My friend seems accurate when he said. "when you retire the union drops you like a hot potatoe. They couldn't care less about someone who paid in for 30+ years but they seem to care about my wife.".
But your wife and family are covered while you are working....

That's what I was thinking. My point was that you would have all the money for vacations about the same time whether you took them as actual vacation time on the books, or if you got paid out in a lump sum upon retirement.
You get paid before hand if you are still working. If you are retired and have time off left it usually paid out a week or so later.

bowhnterdon

I am retiring 1/30/20. I will get my 6 weeks earned in 2019, 5 sick days and 5 PH paid out. My current insurance will be paid up for 2 months after I retire. First Pension check is 2/1/20. Starting 4/2020 I will be on the retiree health plan and will have to pay for it. It is not really hard to do your own research and planning...

trickpony1

OK....let's try this....
My friend went to the union hall and said, "...I want to give you money ($200 for retiree...like his wife) the people just straight up said, "nope".

He's never had this much problem giving away money before.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Ok, but is that all on the same day prior to the first week of vacation? Or are they being paid out while you are on vacation?
If they are retiring and management knows it normally they will pay them all of the checks at once.
Everyone cringes when it comes to paycheck accuracy in this place and most expect to have a fight at the end because of horror stories theyve endured along the way. We had 6 drivers not get their vacation checks/pay this month. This is total garbage.

Plan ahead:
Dont plan on fueling your vehicle on Dec.31st. We're going broke.

bowhnterdon

Some supplements don't offer retiree healthcare.

I assume you friend is over 65?
. Our Local Joint Council offers retiree coverage, but it is $580 a month for yourself, 680 if you add your spouse. Still cheaper than going on the Exchange looking for a plan. The kick in the ass is the lifetime cap of 500k per person... I will have to some sort of Supplemental to kick in if I get a serious medical condition

35years

Gravy route
OK....let's try this....
My friend went to the union hall and said, "...I want to give you money ($200 for retiree...like his wife) the people just straight up said, "nope".

He's never had this much problem giving away money before.
He likely is over 65 so has to be on medicare rather than the Union plan

His wife is likely under 65 so can still be on the union plan.

When we turn 65 we are kicked out of the union plan.