Retiring January 1st

. Our Local Joint Council offers retiree coverage, but it is $580 a month for yourself, 680 if you add your spouse. Still cheaper than going on the Exchange looking for a plan. The kick in the ass is the lifetime cap of 500k per person... I will have to some sort of Supplemental to kick in if I get a serious medical condition
Before the 2013 contract it was $50/$100 here
Bit unfortunately the people already retired didn't have a choice. That's a big hit when you are retired

trickpony1

He likely is over 65 so has to be on medicare rather than the Union plan

His wife is likely under 65 so can still be on the union plan.

This is correct but why can't he pay the Union $200 a month for a secondary plan for himself and (wait for it....)….

when his wife goes on Medicare she can pay the $200 also?

I guess the union isn't in the business of making money?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I’m retiring January 1st finally. Drivers say we get paid for 8 weeks for this, so wondering if this is for real. But my pension will start March 1st. Did anyone else do this and do we really get the 8 weeks pay - 6 vacation weeks - 1 rovers week and 1 sick days week.
The way it works here:
As long as you've worked enough hours to earn your vacation for the following year you will get that paid out, most people have that by September of the current year so you could retire in October and get that 6 week check. To get paid out for the 5 sick and 5 personals you have to work at least one day into the new year, so you would have to work Jan 2 (Jan 1 is a holiday) and retire on Jan 3 to get those 10 days.

The way it works here:
As long as you've worked enough hours to earn your vacation for the following year you will get that paid out, most people have that by September of the current year so you could retire in October and get that 6 week check. To get paid out for the 5 sick and 5 personals you have to work at least one day into the new year, so you would have to work Jan 2 (Jan 1 is a holiday) and retire on Jan 3 to get those 10 days.
I guess it's slightly different everywhere . But here pension checks only some on the first of the month. So if you retired on the third you wouldn't get you check until February 1st.

You would get two checks in February

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I researched it’s what drivers say and supervisors even the union says. Just wanted to be sure if other drivers retired Jan 1st. It’s like it sounds too good to be true so hoping it is.

Here's a thought-----call or email the pension office. Give them your projected retirement date and ask them how much vacation/personal/sick time you will have available as of 1/2/20. Schedule all of your vacation weeks to run consecutively and then schedule your remaining paid time. I am not familiar with option weeks so don't know if you will get those or not.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My friend thinks this sucks.
He's paying $200 a month (out of his Teamster pension check) to maintain the "Cadillac" Teamster health insurance for his wife ( who never did one minute of union labor) but he couldn't do the same for himself.

The folks at the union hall couldn't explain why his wife could get the insurance but he couldn't. He had to get a Medicare supplement policy.

Is your friend over 65?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

...then why would they offer insurance to a spouse than never paid a penny in and never did a minute of union labor.

My friend seems accurate when he said. "when you retire the union drops you like a hot potato. They couldn't care less about someone who paid in for 30+ years but they seem to care about my wife.".

The only reason he was not offered insurance was his age.