Retiring Soon Excitement

oldngray

nowhere special
I found I was getting the wobble. Since I retired ive not been wearing good shoes when Im being leisurely. I bought a good pair yesterday, wobble gone. Stupid me
I would wear out the sides of my soles after 3 months or less. I wouldn't notice until they got really bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Oh yeah. I got the fever for more COWBELL or retirement. Definitely feeling it after todays heat. I can’t wait to order some Amazon toilet paper NDA. Just because.

Insurance will be huge for many. Hopefully everyone saved.
If you wait long enough you can go straight on to medicare.

Darmark7

Retired 2020. Not my Problem Anymore!
I was 53 when I burned my browns- literally- in a bonfire at my retirement party.

I was 57. I left my last day without seeing or saying a word to supervision. I told my wife don't plan any special retirement party because my retirement party starts the last day I clock out and will stop the day I die. I'm 20 months in on my retirement party!

rod

Retired 22 years
I was 57. I left my last day without seeing or saying a word to supervision. I told my wife don't plan any special retirement party because my retirement party starts the last day I clock out and will stop the day I die. I'm 20 months in on my retirement party!
I had an all weekend bash---Friday night to Sunday night-- complete with camping -a large tent in case it rained, port-a-potties, tons of food and beverages (4 --16 gallon kegs plus many kinds of craft beers) and a 265 pound pig roasted. At least 200 people showed up over the weekend. . It is still talked about to this day. Nobody else has ever thrown a retirement party like that. It was all my wifes idea. All the trash from beer cans and bottles to paper plates to the remains of the pig carcass was tossed in the UPS dumpster late Sunday night. It pretty much filled the dumpster. I heard later that UPS was PISSED. They put a chain around the dumpster after that. :-)

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
I had an all weekend bash---Friday night to Sunday night-- complete with camping -a large tent in case it rained, port-a-potties, tons of food and beverages (4 --16 gallon kegs plus many kinds of craft beers) and a 265 pound pig roasted. At least 200 people showed up over the weekend. . It is still talked about to this day. Nobody else has ever thrown a retirement party like that. It was all my wifes idea. All the trash from beer cans and bottles to paper plates to the remains of the pig carcass was tossed in the UPS dumpster late Sunday night. It pretty much filled the dumpster. I heard later that UPS was PISSED. They put a chain around the dumpster after that. :-)
Well, we know what your first retirement check was spent on.

rod

Retired 22 years
Well, we know what your first retirement check was spent on.
It didn't cost as much as you would think. A beer distributer friend provided all the plates, plastic utensils, napkins, beer and pop and chips. Another friend gave us a great deal on one of his pigs and roasted it for us for nothing. I did rent the tent and port-a-potties and bought some of the food. I've been lucky to have a great group of friends all my life. Sadly most of them are gone now.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I did not work one day more than I had to. Planned for retirement since I was about 28 years old and retired at 58.
Spoke to the pension rep about 5 years before I went out and those 5 years flew by.

The last year or so at UPS was kinda like a honeymoon. I enjoyed almost every bit of it and savored each work day because i knew it was almost over ( was feeder driver with a great country run )

Been out 7 years and absolutely love retirement. Usually very busy and having a great time. The best thing is that I am probably healthier now than when I was working. used to work grave yard shift and dint sleep well during the day.Now i get plenty of sleep and get more exercise and eat better.

You all are gonna love it.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I did not work one day more than I had to. Planned for retirement since I was about 28 years old and retired at 58.
Spoke to the pension rep about 5 years before I went out and those 5 years flew by.

The last year or so at UPS was kinda like a honeymoon. I enjoyed almost every bit of it and savored each work day because i knew it was almost over ( was feeder driver with a great country run )

Been out 7 years and absolutely love retirement. Usually very busy and having a great time. The best thing is that I am probably healthier now than when I was working. used to work grave yard shift and dint sleep well during the day.Now i get plenty of sleep and get more exercise and eat better.

You all are gonna love it.
We don’t care about all that The class wants to know what is your top secret money-making scheme

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
That's what I tell everybody. Don't be foolish and leave before you can get medicare.
why cant you leave before medicare?
we have Teamster retiree trust medical bennies for 7 years before I turned 65 and now we have both that and medicare.

you must be joking.....

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
In my local 55 is the youngest One can retire and have insurance. I retired two weeks after i turned 55 . My last day was January 9 2021,and I drew my vacation weeks and option week before getting my first retirement check March 1 2021. I feel like my life really started January 9 2021

vvv

I'm leaving the month my youngest turns 26. She will have finished her master degree in December and I turn 56 in March. Thirty-seven years is enough, 6 part time and the rest in a package car. My current route covers 220 miles with 80 stops and 120 pieces daily. I feel as though I'm almost retired now.
I drive "185" miles LESS than you and don't do too much more work than that, and I come back pretty much empty.

35years

Gravy route
why cant you leave before medicare?
we have Teamster retiree trust medical bennies for 7 years before I turned 65 and now we have both that and medicare.

you must be joking.....
Not everyone is in the Western. Think about most of the UPS drivers who get 1/2 the pension check the West does, (reduced even more before 65), have to pay for coverage until Medicare kicks in, No coverage after eligible for Medicare.. etc.
In a different part of the country I could have retired at 50 years old with a larger pension than I would be getting if I stayed until 70 here.