RFI Response for defined growth opportunity

P

prodriver

Contingency plans for illness, vacation etc. Also what happens if an area grows? Is the contractor able and willing to hire another driver, add a truck etc.? Sounds like corporate is gearing up for some pretty significant growth and they really aren't interested in adding a bunch of single route owners who aren't interested in expansion.

A little less than 25% are single van contractors in our building now, the RPS days every route was run by contractors.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
It's a bit deeper than that, but cost will play a part. Fred watched what happened when DHL went with the cheapest contractors.

The same thing that's happening with Ground...high accident rates and marginal employees. I seem to remember the CA contractor who dropped his flat rate to $450 per week. He still got employees, but bad things happened. The entire Ground model is based on cutting costs to the bone, and that leads to shortcuts and low quality.

I know you spin a tale about how professional Ground has become, but I'm out there on the road while you're grooming the soccer filed, and I don't see the "quality". I see the same old Ground crap.

bbsam

Staff member
The same thing that's happening with Ground...high accident rates and marginal employees. I seem to remember the CA contractor who dropped his flat rate to $450 per week. He still got employees, but bad things happened. The entire Ground model is based on cutting costs to the bone, and that leads to shortcuts and low quality.

I know you spin a tale about how professional Ground has become, but I'm out there on the road while you're grooming the soccer filed, and I don't see the "quality". I see the same old Ground crap.
you will always see what you want to see.

What you won't do is concede that FedEx is an extremely savvy company with a lot of money to invest smartly to fix the problems. And many of the problems are a direct result of the model they have in place. They are not in a position to exert control on drivers like Express and UPS do. I know that's hard for you to accept, but think about it. They have 8000 contractors, all with different safety plans from piss poor to barely adequate to average. For a long time, safety wasn't put nearly high enough on the focus board. Now it is, but changing the bad behaviors of drivers will take time. You may not even see it from your vantage point for years. Doesn't mean it isn't happening.

HomeDelivery

as a newbie contractor, they're probably making sure you have backup plans... just in case

be friends w/ a contractor in that hub that has a network of supplemental drivers from peak season. There's usually one or two that can help you out if something goes wrong...

your local management team(if they were smart) should have kept in touch w/ some peak temp drivers that were performing above the min requirements. They had a couple of good ones come back to keep their info active in the system... mother's day is next month & just like last year, we will be slammed

snowcatrm

I am pretty sure they are going to go with the contractor that has psa's around the new psa.

Here is an RFI response from a contractor. I am thinking there is a lot of room for improvement.

"BUSINESS PLANS TO ACQUIRE AVAILABLE HD ROUTE

By xxxxxx

Posting Number: xxxxxxxxxx

COVERAGE: I have prospective drivers to run my existing HD route in the xxxxx Area. I will hire and train a person to run the new route in posting above. This will allow me to manage and cover any gaps in attendance as well as extreme volume days where I would run as a supplemental.

CONTINGENCY: In the event of a breakdown, I have local tow service phone numbers and contacts as well as local rental truck services. I would rent a truck and meet employee at breakdown location and get them back on road ASAP to ensure service is met.

TRAINING: I will conduct quarterly route rides to ensure all safety and Fed Ex operation procedures are followed.

SAFETY: I have drawn up a comprehensive safety program for employees to follow to ensure their safety as well as those around them.

VEHICLE: I have fulfilled my lease buyout with Stearns Bank and spoke with them about financing another vehicle from them. I am also looking on My Ground Biz website for available vehicles."

STFXG

The contractor with adjoining area will always be first in line.

That is a poor RFI, but like I said, it doesn't really matter. The entire process is more to cover their asses. They can't be blamed for favoritism if everyone gets a chance.

Sent using BrownCafe App