Rick Perrys Greatest Hits! This will be good!

moreluck

golden ticket member
"In one sense, the question of why God doesn’t heal amputees is a "gotcha" question, comparable to "Can God make a rock too big for Him to lift?" and is designed not to seek for truth but to discredit faith. In another sense, it can be a valid question with a biblical answer. That answer, in short, would be something like this: "God can heal amputees and will heal every one of them who trusts Christ as Savior. The healing will come, not as the result of our demanding it now, but in God’s own time, possibly in this life, but definitely in Heaven. Until that time, we walk by faith, trusting the God who redeems us in Christ and promises the resurrection of the body."

http://www.gotquestions.org/God-heal-amputees.html

wkmac

"In one sense, the question of why God doesn’t heal amputees is a "gotcha" question, comparable to "Can God make a rock too big for Him to lift?" and is designed not to seek for truth but to discredit faith. In another sense, it can be a valid question with a biblical answer. That answer, in short, would be something like this: "God can heal amputees and will heal every one of them who trusts Christ as Savior. The healing will come, not as the result of our demanding it now, but in God’s own time, possibly in this life, but definitely in Heaven. Until that time, we walk by faith, trusting the God who redeems us in Christ and promises the resurrection of the body."

http://www.gotquestions.org/God-heal-amputees.html

Why is it a gotcha question?

If god or God is omniscient, omnipresent and omnipotent, and god or God created the universe and all that is in it, would regrowing a limb not be child's play for an all powerful, creative god?

A being capable of raising the dead?

Think about that. A human body, dead, has begun the decaying process, living tissue now corrupted away is in an instant re-constituted into viable, living flesh and re-animated with life.

Why can't a god or God fully capable of that not therefore re-constitute a severed limb by causing the body to grow another limb?

Even science itself has discovered a genetic process in which regrowing limbs may well be possible so are we to conclude what you call a "gotcha question" for god may become a reality for man in the near future?

moreluck

golden ticket member
Why is it a gotcha question?

If god or God is omniscient, omnipresent and omnipotent, and god or God created the universe and all that is in it, would regrowing a limb not be child's play for an all powerful, creative god?

A being capable of raising the dead?

Think about that. A human body, dead, has begun the decaying process, living tissue now corrupted away is in an instant re-constituted into viable, living flesh and re-animated with life.

Why can't a god or God fully capable of that not therefore re-constitute a severed limb by causing the body to grow another limb?

Even science itself has discovered a genetic process in which regrowing limbs may well be possible so are we to conclude what you call a "gotcha question" for god may become a reality for man in the near future?

What, not a "thanks for the site" for me ?????????????

UnconTROLLed

perfection
If an openly philosophical debate of whether a higher power exists is so easily debunked with a very simple, logical question, maybe the whole pie in the sky theory isn't so useful?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
"It is far easier to say what is pleasing to the ear than what is true. Even so, anyone who thinks Republicans are stupid is missing the point. What those dummies Bush and Perry have in common, other than having been Texas governors, pilots and cheerleaders (what is it with Texas?), is that they're not stupid at all.

This doesn't mean they're right about everything or even most things. But they're smart enough to know that most people in this country didn't go to Ivy League colleges — or any college for that matter. Most haven't led privileged lives of any sort, but nonetheless have unspoiled hearts and are willing to help any who would help themselves.

This is the essence of the so-called ordinary American. Self-reliant, individualistic, entrepreneurial, neighborly and strong. These people come in both Republican and Democratic flavors, though we've somehow lost sight of that in these hyper-partisan, sound-bite times.

Until someone emerges to remind Americans of who they are in a way that neither insults their intelligence nor condescends to their less- fortunate circumstances, smart money goes to the “stupid” politicians, who are dumb as foxes and happy as clams when their opponents misunderestimate them."

This article is too easy to pick apart.

First of all, Texas has the 3rd highest poverty rate in the U.S. How's that for the "oridnary average American"?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?friend=/c/a/2011/09/17/MNQ91L603O.DTL

How about nearly 300k taxpayer money for security detail while him and his wife make trips around the U.S. and world? Is that what the average everyday American needs?

And the HPV vaccine mandate - is that "self reliance, individualist" material too?

And so on..

Maybe it is the article that is dumbed down? Not suuuuure

This article is too easy to pick apart.
As is this post.

First of all, Texas has the 3rd highest poverty rate in the U.S. How's that for the "oridnary average American"?

Every page has two sides. Texas ranks #2 in the nation in cost of living. Meaning a dollar here goes further than in 48 other states. Here a person earning under the national poverty level still has more purchasing power than most of the country.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?friend=/c/a/2011/09/17/MNQ91L603O.DTL

How about nearly 300k taxpayer money for security detail while him and his wife make trips around the U.S. and world? Is that what the average everyday American needs?

As the article quoted Perry's campaign mgr. He is the governor of Texas 24/7/365. According to Texas laws he is to be protected at all times. I'm sure all states are not that different. How is this any different than what US tax payers spend on 0bama and family on their many vacations abroad, which add up exponentially compared to Perry's?

And the HPV vaccine mandate - is that "self reliance, individualist" material too?

Well, it could be, but not on Perry's part. The populace of Texas' self reliance, individualist citizens saw to it that the mandate didn't stick. On this issue, Perry's responses have shown that he is willing to say, "oops. I screwed up".

For the record, even though I didn't have kids that would be effected by the mandate, I was not happy with the order as most Texans.

And so on..

Maybe it is the article that is dumbed down? Not suuuuure
What do you mean by "dumbed down" ? I'm not suuuuure of that.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
True, your post was dumbed down.

Texas has roughly 4.6 MILLION people, living in poverty (defined as a 4 person household with an income of around $22,000 or less)

"Here a person earning under the national poverty level still has more purchasing power than most of the country."

See, you are a Rick Perry guy after all if believe an unsubstantiated misnomer like that. 22k/year or less for a family of 4 is "more purchasing power than the rest of the country"?

hah

wkmac

This one of the most worthless twists of a thread I've ever seen. What a waste of time.

If politicians running for office are going to use religion as a marketing ploy and voters sit silent letting them do it, then you are going to get blowback.

When it comes to the politican, Mencken had it right:

"A professional politician is a professionally dishonorable man. In order to get anywhere near high office he has to make so many compromises and submit to so many humiliations that he becomes indistinguishable from a streetwalker." ~ H.L. Mencken

And to those who use god by thumping their chests and commanding the will of the thunderous voice from upon high to manifest it's power for self-serving power's sake:

"Demagogue: One who preaches doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots." ~ H.L. Mencken

If politicians running for office are going to use religion as a marketing ploy and voters sit silent letting them do it, then you are going to get blowback.

When it comes to the politican, Mencken had it right:

And to those who use god by thumping their chests and commanding the will of the thunderous voice from upon high to manifest it's power for self-serving power's sake:

Do you really think that many people vote for a candidate simply because of their religious views??? I hardly think so. It may be a small factor though. I'd be willing to bet more people will vote against someone because of their religion than the other way around.
But then on the other hand you have said you don't vote anyway, so anyone's religion is a moot point.

I agree with Mencken's thoughts on politicians. His take on knowingly preaching a false doctrine while correct, I've no evidence that any of the candidates are "demagogues".

True, your post was dumbed down.

Texas has roughly 4.6 MILLION people, living in poverty (defined as a 4 person household with an income of around $22,000 or less)

"Here a person earning under the national poverty level still has more purchasing power than most of the country."

See, you are a Rick Perry guy after all if believe an unsubstantiated misnomer like that. 22k/year or less for a family of 4 is "more purchasing power than the rest of the country"?

hah

Hah, to you too.
For a person to move from Texas to massachusetts they will have to earn a little over twice as much to maintain the same standard of living. It's a simple fact that that a dollar goes further here than in 48 other states.

In the nearly 50 years my brother has been in the work force here, he earned close to the "poverty level" all but about 5 years. His home is paid for (no it never had wheels on it) , has no car payments and one of his two children went to college (never used a student loan), the other one simply didn't want to go to college. As far as I know he never had any of his utilities turned off. All this was done by good money management, not spending more than he earned.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Hah, to you too.

For a person to move from Texas to massachusetts they will have to earn a little over twice as much to maintain the same standard of living. It's a simple fact that that a dollar goes further here than in 48 other states.

In the nearly 50 years my brother has been in the work force here, he earned close to the "poverty level" all but about 5 years. His home is paid for (no it never had wheels on it) , has no car payments and one of his two children went to college (never used a student loan), the other one simply didn't want to go to college. As far as I know he never had any of his utilities turned off. All this was done by good money management, not spending more than he earned.

I've lived in TX, have you lived in MA? P.S. I don't live in MA, though I have lived there too. :) You are right and wrong, though clearly exaggerating the COL differnces between the two states, unless you want to fact-check yourself on that. Show me where MA, for example, is twice the COL of TX. (or, better yet a little over twice the COL)

It seems most times I do the dirty work regarding questionable comments, the "factor" ends up to be blowing smoke...so go ahead.

If what you are saying is true, I will concede the point.

Last edited:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I used this calculator and got the following result:

If you move from Dallas, TX to Boston, MA....
Groceries will cost:
21%more
Housing will cost:
116%more
Utilities will cost:
31%more
Transportation will cost:
4%more
Healthcare will cost:
19%more