Right about face...

I think 407 posts exclusively on his i phone,so he misses a bit here and there, but I'm like you,I have to be pretty friend'd up to call in sick,although I would not feel guilty if I did.I worked through a broken rib,several pneumonia episodes,and a
painful foot problem.To be honest,I hate losing out on that $200 a day unless I really have something important to do.
Monster,you will gain nothing from being so dedicated.Take day off and do something important.
I do 99.9% of my posting from my I phone as I don't do computers. Auto correct is an evil mothertrucker on the iPhone and I hate it.

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
I am no Spanish expert, but isn't "Latino" masculine? Shouldn't it be 'Latina"? Wonder bout some of you guys, lol. (but I could be wrong and if I am, I am sure someone will help me out)

You are correct, depending on how you look at it. "Latino" is obviously the male version of the two terms if you are talking about gender specifically.....but the male version of the word is always favored when talking about the entire set of people as a whole. Think of the word "people" when talking about 'men' AND 'women'. Kinda like that.

This carries true with other words too...Maestro/Maestra, depending on the sentence it is used in, is talking about a male teacher OR a female teacher....yet if you want to refer to all the teachers at once, "maestros" would be used.

moreluck

golden ticket member
You are correct, depending on how you look at it. "Latino" is obviously the male version of the two terms if you are talking about gender specifically.....but the male version of the word is always favored when talking about the entire set of people as a whole. Think of the word "people" when talking about 'men' AND 'women'. Kinda like that.

This carries true with other words too...Maestro/Maestra, depending on the sentence it is used in, is talking about a male teacher OR a female teacher....yet if you want to refer to all the teachers at once, "maestros" would be used.

Yet, they seem to have done away with "actress".......now they are all actors (or so they think).
Remember that awards show where they have several men and women give a brief intro and then they say, "I am an actor."

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I have been in management for 11 years, and I have yet to understand why so many managers give people so much crap for calling-in sick. I don't want those people around me or my other employees. I don't care if they are lying or not. If they have a sick day on the books, they are there to be used. And, for me at least, the faster they get used up, the faster the people who truly are abusing their call-ins all of the sudden have an attendance problem when the sick day's are all gone. These are the employees that are the problems....not the once-in-a-blue-moon sick person. And it's the employees own fault for using up all of the sick days so quickly and giving management the easiest, indisputable disciplinary action to hand out. Attendance issues comprise nearly 70% of all discipline handed out.

Again, not sure why call-ins are such a big issue for some managers. Let them dig their own grave, if so they choose to.

Oh yea, most people go threw their optionals within the first month, believe it or not. This month is no exception, due to people in control thinking peaks over with, sure. This month is just as bad as December. Most new hires dont expect it either. My first year, after peak, I was like
"yeah its over" and spending the rest of the month wondering what happened or is it worth staying around if its going to be this heavy every single day of the new year.

A friend of mine last year, new hire at the time, took his vacation in Januray. Just proof to me that new hires do make bad choices. I know I was there too back in time.

Random_Facts

Everybody gets sick, eventually. I'm one of those rare people, that hardly get sick. I just recovered from the flu a few weeks ago. My part time supervisor even recommended to take sick time off. It is what it is. If you're healthy have a sense of humor and go to work. If not, stay home. It's not the end of the world. Hope you're feeling better by the way!

A

anonymous6

I had the same problem as you and almost was getting harassed every time i tried to call in sick even though I have 45 sick days on the book.

here is what I was told. " we have to question every sick call because there are a few bad apples that call off almost every Monday or Friday. We have to discourage sick days."

this is the UPS m.o. in a nutshell. punish 95% of the employees for the actions of the bad 5 %.

I replied "why can't you deal with the bad apples and give me the respect I deserve.? I don't call off except when I'm sick, gotta go to the doctors, or someone close to me dies."

" I agree, but we can't single out the ones that abuse the system or else they will file discrimination greivances."

I agreed at first but then said it seems that management like to keep everyone unhappy since they are so miserable.

So, I can't help you. Just get a reputation of having integrity and maybe you won't have too many problems in the future.

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
After setting up plans for an operation, any sort of call-in is aggravating. It's like having a few of your friends cancel on you on a night out. It's an inconvenience, and ANYONE in that position would feel the same way. The problem lies with the fact that too many supervisors and managers wear their emotions on their sleeves. There's no place for that. They need to be in control of their frustrations. That is, after all, the professional thing to do. Professionalism and respect for people will get a supervisor further along than intimidation and strong-arm tactics. There is no arguing that.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
After setting up plans for an operation, any sort of call-in is aggravating. It's like having a few of your friends cancel on you on a night out. It's an inconvenience, and ANYONE in that position would feel the same way. The problem lies with the fact that too many supervisors and managers wear their emotions on their sleeves. There's no place for that. They need to be in control of their frustrations. That is, after all, the professional thing to do. Professionalism and respect for people will get a supervisor further along than intimidation and strong-arm tactics. There is no arguing that.

We have a driver supe that used to whine and complain and cajole every time I called off (we get 5 sick days a year, and that is usually all I call off). Then, he said to me one time that since I don't have excessive absenteeism, it was OK to call off. Now that he has realized his career is circling the drain, he just says, "See you tomorrow!"