Right ON track 100k+ this year

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I realize the many differences among locals but some of this is so unbalanced it's ridiculous. We are are talking $30,000 a year difference - same job, same company but because of local union agreements, one guy gets a good life, the other a tough life.

I'm just put off by this because I've been supporting a family of 4 (only income) for the last 3 years barely making ends meet. Yet, if I was in this other area I wouldn't be wondering how I'm going to pay bills this week. I know life isn't fair but shouldn't it be a bit more fair within the same company?
Youve been here long enough JL you know the rules and how the game is played. Shadiest most dishonest place ive ever worked. Some locals are strong and some just let them get away with murder n just give in to the local concessions in their local supplement. Its not fair and im with ya dude on that 1 for sure.

rod

Retired 22 years
I realize the many differences among locals but some of this is so unbalanced it's ridiculous. We are are talking $30,000 a year difference - same job, same company but because of local union agreements, one guy gets a good life, the other a tough life.

I'm just put off by this because I've been supporting a family of 4 (only income) for the last 3 years barely making ends meet. Yet, if I was in this other area I wouldn't be wondering how I'm going to pay bills this week. I know life isn't fair but shouldn't it be a bit more fair within the same company?

It never used to be this way. Everyone for the most part (even part timers) was paid the same rate. Feeders paid a little extra but sorters, un-loaders, porters, car wash, drivers, clerks ---basically all hourly made the same rate after achieving seniority. Hourly used to fight for some some pretty good contracts. After I had gained seniority (it took 90 days back then) -- the only difference between me and someone who had been there 20 years was the amount of vacation I had earned.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I have no desire to make 100k. Im cool wit 80k n anything above that is whatever. If your making 100k a year that only means 1 thing to me, WORKING TOO GOSH DARN MUCH lol. I was cool with that when i was younger but nowadays, forget that junk lol.
i made over 100k last year but got slammed with fed and state taxes since my house is paid off and no longer itemize. i even maxed out the 401k and still payed too much intaxes.

this year it's gonna be nice because retired and income is way down.

i agree with working too much is not worth it in the long run. you have to pace yourself for the long haul and enjoy life along the way.

if you retire all tired out and your body broke down then all the money in the world is not going to make you happy.

By The Book

It will be great when your at top scale, and you could have went your whole career not finding out about the $29.,am I right?

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
i made over 100k last year but got slammed with fed and state taxes since my house is paid off and no longer itemize. i even maxed out the 401k and still payed too much intaxes.

this year it's gonna be nice because retired and income is way down.

i agree with working too much is not worth it in the long run. you have to pace yourself for the long haul and enjoy life along the way.

if you retire all tired out and your body broke down then all the money in the world is not going to make you happy.
Like i said i was down with makin a boatload when i was younger but that mid 40s slowdown point is here now, rather make lil less and be home lil more. Gets old quick getting home super duper late every night for sure. Dont get it twisted if they send me out retarded ill drop the NUTTSMASH on them deep into the night if need be lmfao.

By The Book

Different locals across the country have different rules just the way it is. Ill give you an example, where im at we are in same local as 1 in a big city, but there in the city they have 25 and out at any age or you can roll out at age 50 i believe, but here its 30 years or age 55. Doesnt make any sense at all. I asked the local union guy that comes in like once a month why we were different than them since we are in the same local. His explanation which still doesnt make any sense and still kind of dont understand it, well sort of i do is, our finances or treasury are in a different location or bank or what have ya. Pretty LAMO if you ask me. So now i have to figure out how the hell im going to be able to survive physically for another 11 years lol. Bunch of BS really.
Lame at best but somehow paranormal activity for these sack swallowers. I bet if their pension was to be reduced they would surely include you on the downhill ride!

By The Book

My raise this April will be nearly $13/hr. It's silly the way progression was set up in my last contract. Small raises in the first 3 steps, then it goes from $21.xx to $34.xx overnight.
It rewards loyalty and at the same time allows UPS to be a profitable company. The downfall of these long progressions is the time the benefit is the top rate.

By The Book

My raise this April will be nearly $13/hr. It's silly the way progression was set up in my last contract. Small raises in the first 3 steps, then it goes from $21.xx to $34.xx overnight.
It rewards loyalty and at the same time allows UPS to be a profitable company. The downfall of these long progressions is the time the benefit is the top rate.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Rewards loyalty.. Lol someone who has been pt for 10 years has given this company more than just loyalty... Blood sweat and tears why should they wait another extra 2 years to be at full time scale...2 years max!!

Holydriver

Enjoy all that money. I hope you're a single young buck.

I'm on pace to make around 60 (I'll probably hit $75 once I start racking up the OT)Right now I'm looking around 15K (Had off a lot of dead days). I've been able to spend a bunch of time with my wife and our little baby girl. There is no amount of money in the world that can eclipse that.

There is more to life than money
ive said this on this forum several times....everyone defends the long hours as if its great. what is so great about $100k a year if you only had your weekends to enjoy it?