Right ON track 100k+ this year

Cementups

Box Monkey
ive said this on this forum several times....everyone defends the long hours as if its great. what is so great about $100k a year if you only had your weekends to enjoy it?

My coworkers brag about how much money they make. I brag about being able to be there and coach my daughter's softball team and eat dinner with my family every night.*

*when I'm working, not just when I'm home disabled.

Rack em

Made the Podium
When I was a preloader one of my friends was a driver and every Friday he would walk up to me with his $1,300+ weekly paycheck and say "How am I supposed to live on this :censored2:?" That might be one of the reasons I stuck with UPS. I would look at my >$250 paycheck and think to myself that someday I'll make those monster checks. Now I'm just waiting to finish my progression and hit top rate

Browntown2014

I realize the many differences among locals but some of this is so unbalanced it's ridiculous. We are are talking $30,000 a year difference - same job, same company but because of local union agreements, one guy gets a good life, the other a tough life.

I'm just put off by this because I've been supporting a family of 4 (only income) for the last 3 years barely making ends meet. Yet, if I was in this other area I wouldn't be wondering how I'm going to pay bills this week. I know life isn't fair but shouldn't it be a bit more fair within the same company?

It is crazy. I was hired full time after being a reg temp driver so I was red circled at my reg temp pay. I don't dare tell any of the other 1-2 year drivers what i make.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
On track for 70k this year as a part-time "temporary" cover driver.
Only problem is I'm getting screwed with part time pension credit even though I'm working full time hours.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
My coworkers brag about how much money they make. I brag about being able to be there and coach my daughter's softball team and eat dinner with my family every night.*

*when I'm working, not just when I'm home disabled.
If you're in package you can't make commitments during the week unless they start at 10:00pm. Management knows the guys that run all day to get to weekly commitments and pile it on them, knowing they'll run. It's their carrot that management uses to get production, for them to come in when they try calling out, and to get them to pick up the pace on days they need them to make up for cutting routes. Management utilizes leverage such as this, a persons desire to go out and be social, and financial instability to their benefit. When UPS has no leverage over you it's such a freeing experience, I don't want days off, I can sit out for months if you try and fire me, and I don't schedule things during the week, and if I do, I take the day off, with pay.

opey

I realize the many differences among locals but some of this is so unbalanced it's ridiculous. We are are talking $30,000 a year difference - same job, same company but because of local union agreements, one guy gets a good life, the other a tough life.

I'm just put off by this because I've been supporting a family of 4 (only income) for the last 3 years barely making ends meet. Yet, if I was in this other area I wouldn't be wondering how I'm going to pay bills this week. I know life isn't fair but shouldn't it be a bit more fair within the same company?
many nationwide companies pay varies depending on where you live because of cost of living. making $60k in the NYC area is middle class, you wont be able to own a home and support a family on that pay alone. but that same $60k in lets say the midwest or south (or a rural area) could let you live like a king. I used to install for safelite autoglass and we made $5 more per install (nyc area market) than installers in florida and also were able to do more installs in less time due to the dense population here. might be a 10 minute drive between jobs while in a rural area it could be an hour to each one.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Just hit 100k last week. I max out my 401k contributions, buy a lot of ups stock, save all I can for the kids college, invest in other accounts and carry little to no debt except the mortgage.

I agree working long hours is hard. But like anything at ups, you have to be smart about it and take care of you always. I know what I'm working for. There will be a day when I'll be done and moving on to the next chapter of our life but for now, I take advantage of the work so it works for me and our future.

Still able to be involved in our family life. We have a big extended family around so the kids are never without family. They know dad's job sometimes keeps him out late. I use my vacation and option days plus 8 hr requests always.

I'm finding life is choices. I can work more now while I can. So later in life I won't have to work so hard and obligations are take care of.

Our retirement will be very nice.

JL 0513

many nationwide companies pay varies depending on where you live because of cost of living. making $60k in the NYC area is middle class, you wont be able to own a home and support a family on that pay alone. but that same $60k in lets say the midwest or south (or a rural area) could let you live like a king. I used to install for safelite autoglass and we made $5 more per install (nyc area market) than installers in florida and also were able to do more installs in less time due to the dense population here. might be a 10 minute drive between jobs while in a rural area it could be an hour to each one.

I've argued on this forum before that top rate should actually vary a bit more based on cost of living among states. I also got negative comments about it. $33/hr in Mississippi is a crap load, in San Francisco, not so much. Yet, to my knowledge, the top rates aren't that far off. To me, that is also unbalanced. That's not the issue I brought up.

My issue is that it appears that some locals barely have to go through a progression which was news to me this week. I've been driving nearly 3 years and am still in the low $20's. The driver in question said in his local, you start at over $29 from day one. Never heard of this. That's like 85% higher than the starting rate across much of the country. It's not an issue of cost of living in this case.

JL 0513

I've argued on this forum before that top rate should actually vary a bit more based on cost of living among states. I also got negative comments about it. $33/hr in Mississippi is a crap load, in San Francisco, not so much. Yet, to my knowledge, the top rates aren't that far off. To me, that is also unbalanced. That's not the issue I brought up.

My issue, is that it appears that some locals barely have to go through a progression which was news to me this week. I've been driving nearly 3 years and am still in the low $20's. The driver in question said in his local, you start at over $29 from day one. Never heard of this. That's like 85% higher than the starting rate across much of the country. It's not an issue of cost of living in this case.

Cementups

Box Monkey
If you're in package you can't make commitments during the week unless they start at 10:00pm. Management knows the guys that run all day to get to weekly commitments and pile it on them, knowing they'll run. It's their carrot that management uses to get production, for them to come in when they try calling out, and to get them to pick up the pace on days they need them to make up for cutting routes. Management utilizes leverage such as this, a persons desire to go out and be social, and financial instability to their benefit. When UPS has no leverage over you it's such a freeing experience, I don't want days off, I can sit out for months if you try and fire me, and I don't schedule things during the week, and if I do, I take the day off, with pay.

It's unfortunate that a lot of centers are like this. That's not how it is where I'm at. We have a pretty "fair" system set up. I'm done most days by 5:45 so that I can make it to softball practice and games for my daughter. I don't run. I do the job as required. I do have days where I'm late but it's covered. My sups know what I do outside of work and try to work with me to get it done and know I will give extra the days we don't have practice and such. I also have a couple other drivers around me who will help me out when I need to be somewhere. We scratch each others back.

opey

The driver in question said in his local, you start at over $29 from day one. Never heard of this. That's like 85% higher than the starting rate across much of the country. It's not an issue of cost of living in this case.
Hmm... that sounds kind of unbelievable, did you fact check that? Or maybe thats for a part time air driver, i know their rate is much higher than full time drivers to start and i think they might have a shorter progression too. and they get to keep that rate if they switch to full time driver

JL 0513

Hmm... that sounds kind of unbelievable, did you fact check that? Or maybe thats for a part time air driver, i know their rate is much higher than full time drivers to start and i think they might have a shorter progression too. and they get to keep that rate if they switch to full time driver

Just going by his posts. He says full time cover driver. Don't know much more.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
TCD I believe. They could wait 10 years to go full time then another 4 for full top out. We only have full time cover drivers in my local.