Right to Work Laws

Why is that non-members get to enjoy everything from the contract? Shouldn't it be that the healthcare, pensions, raises, etc. Is for members only?
Pieces of crap GOP republicans started right to work in the 1940 to gut labor unions. If you make your living in a union craft the GOP is your enemy. If you aren't in The top 1% financially you are a GOP pawn if you support this. Right to work cuts everyone's pay and benefits across the board. Voting republican falls into the GOP master plan to end your way of life.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
It's designed that way by politicians to try and starve out unions. They assume nobody would pay dues if they don't have to. I agree that they should get no union representation at all.

It's presented as a freedom for union workers not to be forced to join the union. OK fine... but why is it legal for them to steal membership privileges without paying? That's like somebody being allowed to shop at Costco and get Costco prices and not paying for the membership

Method$

I seek out new hires and ask them why UPS? Benefits, want to drive, ect. Then ask/tell them to pay dues for their future and mine. Easier in a smaller center where I am. But just as important, don't wait for someone else to tell them! (Helps to be a steward and remind them you could be the one fighting for your job someday)

Method$

In what specific ways is it weakening the union?
I'd be like UPS not being able to charge Amazon for shipping 2nd day air with us because they didn't believe in charging more for 2nd day air, but they still wanted it there in 2 days... Hurts the bottom line. If the union can't afford to put BA's out there, good minds at negotiation table, it's gonna hurt our bottom line.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Can we make changes to the law that gives the hourly the right not to join, but yet they won't steal out membership privileges?
This is exactly what I've been saying needs to happen.

The company pays all healthcare and pension contributions so your argument there is moot.

This may surprise many but I agree that all full timers and career part times working in a union job should pay union dues. I disagree that part timers who have no intention of making this their career (college students) should be forced to pay union dues.

It is wrong to enjoy the benefits of union membership without paying your fair share for those benefits.

10 point

The company pays all healthcare and pension contributions so your argument there is moot.

This may surprise many but I agree that all full timers and career part times working in a union job should pay union dues. I disagree that part timers who have no intention of making this their career (college students) should be forced to pay union dues.

It is wrong to enjoy the benefits of union membership without paying your fair share for those benefits.
You then are advocating RTW for part time employees at UPS.

Can't have it both ways.

NXA

You then are advocating RTW for part time employees at UPS.

Can't have it both ways.
Dues are part of the economic package, college students aren't too dumb to calculate that expense when they are deciding to work here. They also sometimes need representation, degree or no. And the best among them are your future union leadership, so let's start training them up from the gate; gifting their dues is counterproductive to that end.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Dues are part of the economic package, college students aren't too dumb to calculate that expense when they are deciding to work here. They also sometimes need representation, degree or no. And the best among them are your future union leadership, so let's start training them up from the gate; gifting their dues is counterproductive to that end.

College students work here for beer money and will be leaving once they graduate. Why gouge them?

Anthonysg0113

A bunch of drivers in my center started out as college students not knowing if they were going to stay or not.