Right to Work Laws

andrsnbkj

The right to work law needs to be thrown in the garbage. You need at least some representAtion from union to protect us worker from big greedy corps

barnyard

KTM rider
A RTW work law that excluded non union members from union negotiated benefits would be pointless, because who would choose to work the same job for less money?

I believe that the correct way to fight RTW laws is to have them amended so that the union only has to take care of union members. That would include representing in the grievance process, but more importantly it would include administering benefits. Imagine how many more office employees a large hub would need if they had to have a benefits person in HR. That would include answering employee inquiries and paying the claims.

Granted, that could be contracted out, that is still an added cost that employers would be looking to avoid.

rod

Retired 22 years
All of those Central States' retirees who had their pensions slashed....I wonder if they still feel the same about the dues they paid.

That would be me (coming this summer). I really have mixed feelings about it. Am I going to starve because my pension is cut? No. Am I going to miss $1,500 bucks a month? Sure--time will tell how much. Do I hate the Union?? No way. As of yesterday I have received $522,000.00 in pension payments. How can you hate someone who has forked over a half a million bucks to you. My full $3,000 a month pension was nice while its lasted but I look at it as just a part of my retirement program. Between the wife and me we have a half a dozen sources of retirement income. I still believe that in the not too distant future NO working stiff will have a company pension. They will all be phased out. The writing is on the wall.

35years

Gravy route
That would be me (coming this summer). I really have mixed feelings about it. Am I going to starve because my pension is cut? No. Am I going to miss $1,500 bucks a month? Sure--time will tell how much. Do I hate the Union?? No way. As of yesterday I have received $522,000.00 in pension payments. How can you hate someone who has forked over a half a million bucks to you. My full $3,000 a month pension was nice while its lasted but I look at it as just a part of my retirement program. Between the wife and me we have a half a dozen sources of retirement income. I still believe that in the not too distant future NO working stiff will have a company pension. They will all be phased out. The writing is on the wall.
Yep,
And no Social Security either.
I'll just keep working. And saving in my 401k.
Some guys ask me why I haven't retired yet.
It takes too long to explain it to them.
Look at the demographics and explain how the pensions and SS survive.

10 point

nah, my helper told me straight up, he was working as a driver helper for beer money.
Working as a "helper" for beer money?
Seasonal helper pay wasn't the topic. Seniority part time jobs was and whether the helpers are employees or not is not a part of the issue.

People work extra jobs for multiple reasons but seasonal work is outside of the part time employment situation that is consistent work and has benefits.

10 point

this is exactly what my helper was working for. college beer fund
There's a lot of career pt timers in our bldg that couldn't care less about college. Many drivers have college degrees but stayed with the company. I guess they're still here for just beer money.

Working as a "helper" for beer money?
Seasonal helper pay wasn't the topic. Seniority part time jobs was and whether the helpers are employees or not is not a part of the issue.

People work extra jobs for multiple reasons but seasonal work is outside of the part time employment situation that is consistent work and has benefits.
I agree.
Alot of the driver helper jobs are temporary jobs. In this case many those are college boys seeking exta cash for beer money. It's not even a foot in the door for becoming established as a regular PT package handler

Last edited:
I live in FL and UPS uses these driver helpers in a corrupt manner. They are supposed to ride with the driver but the company found a loophole to twist the language and actually put these college boys in golf carts and give them routes. This deprives drivers from their routes and the company saves alot of money paying beer money to college boys to have packages delivered versus paying a package car driver what he is worth

Last edited:

10 point

It didn't fly here. We demanded drivers wages for them since they were driving and the co scrapped the plan at least in our building.

It didn't fly here. We demanded drivers wages for them since they were driving and the co scrapped the plan at least in our building.
It's a pain in the butt to beat here because the company pays off county officials to allow it even though it's illegal. It looks like this practice has become more widespread nationwide.

Look at this crap

Anthonysg0113

I agree.
Alot of the driver helper jobs are temporary jobs. In this case many those are college boys seeking exta cash for beer money. It's not even a foot in the door for becoming established as a regular PT package handler
I've gotten a helper on permanent. My son-in-law worked as a seasonal driver this last peak, I got him on part-time. If the driver likes you, there are possibilities.